Ask Me Anything: Preseason Edition 2018-19

This AMA is free for everyone, but you can get a discounted membership for less than $3/mo with promo code AMA.

Remember:

If you signed up originally through UM Hoops, make sure to select the option to Login with UM Hoops.
If you signed up originally trough Patreon, make sure to select the option to Login with Patreon.

If I give you Carsen Edwards or the field for Big Ten player of the year, who are you taking and why?

1 Like

How would you defend Michigan and how is that different than what you would have recommended last season?

1 Like

Give me the field. I picked Edwards as my preseason POTY, but thereā€™s an obvious candidate in Ethan Happ who should factor into the race. Add in the uncertainty of someone else emerging whether it is an off the radar candidate (similar to Keita Bates-Diop last year) or even a freshman (Romeo Langford?) and thereā€™s too big of an edge not to take ā€œanyone but Carsen Edwardsā€.

It is also very hard to win POTY without winning or competing for the league title down to the end of the season and Iā€™m not sure Purdue will be in that position.

What did you think of Michiganā€™s slashing offense last night?
What Coach Beilein teams have had as many slashers in the lineup? These guys appear to be able to get to the basket. Could be a lot of bunnies for Teske and Davis rolling like thunder to the rim

1 Like

Letā€™s start with last yearā€™s recipe: a switch everything ball screen defense. Teams switched every screen and forced Michigan to play a lot of one-on-one basketball. The idea was to negate Moritz Wagnerā€™s ability to drive or shoot over recovering big men. Wagnerā€™s shot was important, but his driving ability might have been even more important.

This year, I donā€™t think you have to switch screens against Michigan. Jon Teske will make a few (more than 15?) 3-pointers, but heā€™s not going to slice up opposing defenses in the way that Wagner did last year. If you are defending Michigan this year, I think the gameplan to start is to go under every ball screen and pack in the defense. Dare U-M to beat you from the outside while clogging up space in the middle.

2 Likes

Last yearā€™s Michigan team got to the free throw line more often than all but one (WVU 2003-04) of John Beileinā€™s teams since 2002 and still finished the year ranked 258th in free throw rate. Iā€™d say that FTA/FGA is one of the best signals of slashing ability, especially for a program that rarely throws the ball into the post. I would fully expect that number to increase this year as well.

While thereā€™s a lot of slashing options and they are very talented, the concern is that thereā€™s not enough shooters to space the floor and provide reasonable room to slash to the rim.

Ideally you want a balance because too much of one or the other can result in a mess. Either a team that just passes the ball around the perimeter to fire up a late three or a team that just dribbles into turnovers and wild shots at the rim.

What that mix looks like this year is still anyoneā€™s guess, but Iā€™m interested to see how Beilein solves the problem and enjoy a team that looks slightly different than the standard Beilein squad.

1 Like

Earlier this week you mentioned that your opinion of this teamā€™s floor has changed recently. What do you think this teamā€™s floor looks like?

2 Likes

Good question. Iā€™m not sure how it will all work, but seeing the pieces start to come together I think this group has enough talent and coaching to be a NCAA Tourney team. Iā€™d probably set the floor a level above the bubble, or at least right on that upper edge there. Assuming no major injuries.

2 Likes

One big ten coach gets fired after this yearā€¦ who is it?

3 Likes

You have to bet on one Big Ten coach to be the next one to make a national championship appearance. Who you taking?

1 Like

Whatā€™s your favorite Michigan jersey ever?

Was your changed opinion of Michiganā€™s floor a change for the better or for the worse?

Will we add anyone else to the 2019 recruiting class, and who else specifically do you predict via your magic crystal ball that weā€™ll add to the 2020 class?

Just one? I think that Chambers, Pitino, Miles, McCaffery and Turgeon all probably have warm seatsā€¦

If I can only take one Iā€™ll take Pitino, but I would take the over 1.

3 Likes

I have an answer for this one and itā€™s a BIG one for 2020 but Iā€™ll wait to see Dylanā€™s answer first. No one for 2019ā€¦unless two guys leave, then weā€™ll see.

1 Like

The only two league coaches who have made it are Beilein and Izzo I believe, so that might be the smart money.

But whereā€™s the fun in that? Iā€™d put money down on Matt Painter (one of the best pure coaches in the league IMO, does things the right way) or Archie Miller (should have the ability to recruit at a very high level, already has shown it, and who wouldnā€™t love an Archie beats Sean to the Final Four narrative?).

1 Like

Hmmmm. Give me the 1989 look or the reincarnated throwback version of that look.

What current freshman on our roster will finish their U of M career highest on a Big 10 PoY ballot (or win the award)?