2021 NBA Draft Discussion

NBA is all about drafting for potential at the lottery pick stage. Maybe getting a prospect with high floor might be a better play. Cam Johnson was considered to be a reach but he provided them a high floor as a prospect and was an important rotational player for the Suns. Obviously there’s a risk on passing on a player with high potential who turned out to be a great player i.e. Giannis.

For every Giannis, there seem to be about 50 Austin Dayes that get picked.

5 Likes

That’s a lot of fishing trips.

I think it depends on what situation the team is in. The Sixers probably want to draft a guy that can contribute quickly. The Magic probably don’t care.

1 Like

Which is true but you don’t have that many chances of drafting a potential superstar if you’re in the mid-teens/purgatory. Solid player does you nothing but swinging for the fences can yield huge benefit for the team. The Bucks wouldn’t have be able to build a championship team without Giannis at 15. It’s much easier to get one at top 3-5 hence I want the Pistons to stay put and draft Cade.

Also, I hated the Austin Daye pick at the time. I didn’t think he was that good at the time.

1 Like

For every Gianni’s, there are 15 Bennetts waiting to be picked.

3 Likes

thanks, I just learned another way of saying “we are all Einstein” :joy:

Per Isaiah Liver’s agent, I Isaiah Livers’ draft stock is rising

All jokes aside, that’s awesome for Isaiah. Seems like he’s ahead in his rehab from initial thoughts

20 Likes

wasn’t there a walk-on Bartelstein on the team? Josh? is this his dad/brother/cousin?

1 Like

Josh Bartelstein (now works for the Pistons) was a walk on. His dad is one of the top NBA agents out there.

14 Likes

I thought he got way too heavy/big last year and it hurt his game. Very interesting to me that he dropped 30 pounds. Pretty sure I said on here that he had bulked up too much.

1 Like

I remember him being a slim stretch big as a freshman.

1 Like

He jumped off the screen to me as a freshman. Who the heck (board doesn’t like the h word) is that type. Just constant motion in the post and from the elbow. When I saw him in person it confirmed my initial assessment that he would be a problem for a number of years. He got a little plodding last year.

1 Like
5 Likes

I think he makes a ton of sense in GS.

He played against pros prior in his career, his defense will play immediately, and the Warriors terribly need anyone who can guard a wing, while being maybe a little more ambivalent about a draft prospect’s ceiling.

9 Likes

If Memphis truly sees Franz as a starting 3/ wing, him with Ja and JJJ is nice to build around. A lot of versatility with the way the NBA is played these days - both Franz and JJJ can slide up for the regular season and slide down to an elite defensive ‘small’ ball unit in the playoffs.

1 Like

Hmm betting odds have Franz Wagner at -185 to go top 10. Seems like free money

2 Likes

All I can say is Franz and Jason Glushon have done things their own way this draft season, seemingly very very strategic throughout, and looks like it’ll pay off with a top ten pick. Every single mock has him going to the Kings with a promise and he hasn’t worked out for them? Overall weird situation

2 Likes

If I were an agent I would do everything in my power to keep my clients away from Sacramento. It is a competitive and developmental black hole.

4 Likes

I would be very disappointed to see him go to the Kings.