2021 NBA Draft Discussion

Yup, that’s an option. I’m leaning towards trade up into late 1st round where teams doesn’t want to pay guaranteed money or draft and stash. The Pistons have too many young players to continue to fill up the roster spots.

I haven’t started following the draft lists that close. I love Cunningham, Green, and Suggs a lot. I think Mobley is a nice piece…but I don’t think he’s franchise altering despite his talent and I might be disappointed if he’s who the Pistons picked. I think they need a scorer - someone to get tough buckets and make the rest of the pieces work. After that, I don’t know who I like. When you read The Ringer’s draft board they start getting pretty critical of every prospect after that with statements like…

“…flashes the ability to someday become…”
“…needs to improve his range and defense…”
“…raw versatility to someday become…”
“…needs to improve his jumpshot…”
“…his half-court skills need to come a long way…”
“…must answer questions about his shooting and defense…”

Those comments are all associated with top-15 picks. So I like three guys, maybe Mobley is four for the right team. Yuck…

2 Likes

There’s not really past circumstances of teams using two or three seconds to trade into the 27-31 range though. I dont think those late round teams want more picks

1 Like

I have seen a mock draft that shows the Pistons at 5 or 6 selecting Keon Johnson. :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: Don’t get me wrong if the Pistons didn’t get him there and got him at another spot I might be ok but it’s real important to score that top 2-3 pick.

1 Like

My board:

1. Cade
  2. Mobley
  3. Green
  4. Suggs
  5. Cry and claim the NBA is rigged against the Pistons.
2 Likes

What’s everyone’s take on Kuminga? I definitely have him at #5, but is the big dropoff after the top 4 or the top 5?

Feels like Kuminga would be a good pick on a strong team where he can ease his way into the league. I don’t know how he fits when he will be asked to play more on a rebuilding team

I would feel good with Kuminga at 5. I think that’s the big drop off. I’ve also soured on Suggs a bit. Meaning I think he’ll be a nice NBA player, but I don’t see him as a likely all star, which is kind of what I would like to hunt in the top 5 picks for the most part.

My board is
Cunningham
Green
Mobley
Suggs (I still like him, just see him as the 4th)
Kuminga (might like him at 4 for Detroit)

I think Kuminga and Todd will be in a unique spot. Green was just good, and he’ll get drafted really high. Kuminga and Todd struggled to varying degrees - but what is a reasonable expectation for a teen in the G League vs the NCAA? Like, should they be expected to struggle more than at Duke or Kentucky? Obviously we don’t quite know.

I’m wondering if top end talent like Green are looking at the publicity Cade got in college and asking if that cost him the number one pick.

Cade is mesmerizing but Green literally looks like a young Kobe Bryant. I think the drop off looks like this

Cade and Green
—————
—————
Mobley///
Suggs
—————-
Kuminga

IMO Cade and Green are surefire all stars, potential MVP players. Mobley has the potential to become an allstar, Suggs needs the perfect environment and favorable circumstances to fulfill his potential.

3 Likes

Green has said that if he went to college he’d be the number one pick. Although I think he was referring more to what he would show against lower competition than publicity.

2 Likes

I agree with your tiers, and I like your Mobley thoughts. I think he looked really good when I watched him play, but will his game expand to be more than a solid defender and dunker in the NBA? Who knows.

1 Like

I was speaking in general , was not aware that the Pistons had that many. Honestly I’d make three picks in this draft and package two to move up to a late 1st even.

I like all those guys mentioned. Christopher is the one I like the least but I’m confident they will all be in the league for some time.

At what capacity could vary but I think they all have a lot of upside for late 1st rounders to 2nd round picks. Sharpe could struggle at times but if he plays with energy I think he could be a nice big off the bench at some point.

So if things hold, is the worst case pick for Detroit #6?

1 Like

I don’t like comparisons and yes it most likely will be way off in regards to Suggs because he probably won’t be a volume shooter. I can see some similarities with Suggs to a Dwyane Wade. Wade never really hit the outside shot well, Suggs probably can do that better. Both are active rebounders, willing passers. I can’t see Suggs being a 29ppg game but he’s definitely aggressive. As a Pistons fan my top 3 are Cade/Green/Suggs.Mobley. I really like Mobley but I am not sure how he fits with the Pistons.

Yep. Miami is only a game back of both the Knicks and Hawks for moving up in playoff seeding, so they still have skin in the game. Let’s hope Duncan goes for 50.

1 Like

My personal feeling is that Mobley absolutely has it in him to be an all-star but it’s been quite awhile since a team won a title (and I think before the Nuggets last year even made a conference final) with a Center as their offensive hub (2005 Spurs, 2006 Heat (probably more Wade than Shaq) 2007 Spurs?

The best players on the last however many champs have been dynamic wings, and a single one of a kind PG: Lebron several times, Kawhi twice, Kobe, Pierce, Durant…Dirk sort of neither/nor (Curry obviously the PG).

If you go back to conference finalists you find Giannis, Harden, Butler, George.

These are the guys driving winning at the highest level right now - mostly not smaller guards (could Lillard lead a title team?) and not centers.

To that extent, I think like everyone Cunningham and Green are the guys if you’re looking for THE guy (and even if Killian Hayes maxes out, he’s not going to be that level, so they should be). Obviously Suggs and Mobley can be major pieces on a title team, but I don’t think they could be it’s center.

If I couldn’t get those two I’d honestly be asking myself repeatedly if I was SURE that I couldn’t teach Scottie Barnes to shoot.

3 Likes

I do agree that there seems to be the top two, then the next two, then a bunch of wild cards. I don’t like Barnes enough to take the risk you’re suggesting… especially since I think teaching shooting is one of the hardest things to do later in a players development. But I am not a basketball coach…

I think there is a much better chance Mobley is an All-Star than Barnes.

I think there is a 0% chance Mobley is a top 5 player if you ignore positions…I think there is A chance Barnes gets there. Guys that size that can run the offense are rare. The obvious comp is like Scottie Pippen? I mean I could say Kawhi here too (though Barnes has more ball skills).

A ceiling/floor thing I guess.

Wow…I know what you’re saying and I get it…just sounds weird to say that “Barnes is like Kawhi with better ball skills”.

I just am more down on Barnes after Michigan and Wagner stuffed him in a trash can, in part because he’s such a bad shooter.

5 Likes