2020 Recruiting Notes

This is probably not worth a long debate. To me, his record at Butler was pretty average. That’s been a good program for a long time now, and clearly he wasn’t in the same stratosphere as a Brad Stevens running that program.

Florida has had one very good year under White, and that’s about it.

1 Like

Yeah, I think anyone that doesn’t start next year is liable to transfer, except maybe Castleton or the freshman.

Michigan hasn’t had a 5th year stay for a 5th year in quite a while. I would think that Michigan would plan on using his scholarship.

As far as Eli Brooks, transferring after next year wouldn’t make a ton of sense because he’d be a sit one, play one unless he graduates early.

More interesting decisions could be any of the rising sophomore class if they don’t crack the rotation this year.

5 Likes

Sorry, I forgot.

It’s funny how guys like Will Wade and Sean Miller are considered “great recruiters” and now have the NCAA after them.

So, your position is that kids don’t care about how many players you put in the NBA, and whether your teams win, it’s just all about whether you have a great personality? Come on.

And just about everyone says Juwan is super engaging, people like and respect him, etc. Yet we can’t crack the top 8 for Scottie Barnes?

2 Likes

Or however else they might be getting it done.

John Beilein never showed any interest in Scottie Barnes. I doubt it was because Barnes lacked talent.

No he’s not saying that. He’s saying your ability to recruit is often separate from your ability to coach well. Also every recruitment is different. Players that went to Michigan clearly cared about JB’s system and pedigree in placing non-5* in the NBA. Some recruits want a family atmosphere or money or a coach they like or a promise of PT, etc.

As said, Scottie Barnes made his top 8 in February.

1 Like

I don’t mean to be a jerk, I just don’t understand about 50% of what you wrote, so I’m not sure exactly how to respond to it.

As a general premise, I would argue putting guys in the NBA and on-court success are things recruits care about. It’s why Duke lands elite talent and Wake Forest never does.

It could be that Mike White and Chris Holtmann are great “relationship builders.” Maybe. But you might have said the same thing about Will Wade last year at this time, and apparently what he was great at was paying players.

Let’s just put it this way. For years, people wanted to insist John Beilein wasn’t a great recruiter because he didn’t have a dynamic personality. Fine.

The consensus seems to be Juwan Howard is a super personable, well-respected guy. If he can’t get at least a few elite guys at Michigan, there’s something wrong.

1 Like

It’s an art, not a science

Yes, those are the only two possible conclusions: (1) recruits care about results; or (2) recruits care about relationships.

We just read an article about Scottie Barnes saying he had a really good relationship with Juwan Howard. If that’s all that mattered, you would think we would crack his top 8 at the very least.

There are all sorts of considerations that come into play. With DJ Carton, it seemed as if starting from day one was super important to him. It wasn’t going to happen here.

And I’d also strongly suggest, as we’ve seen, that many elite recruits and their families are expecting to get paid during the time they’re in school. It’s entirely possible Will Wade never built any great relationships with his players. The tape recorded phone call about J’Vonte Smart didn’t seem like a coach who had really built a rapport with a recruit - it seemed like a guy who was angry that his “strong ass offer” hadn’t yet been accepted.

Is Mike White just so good at building relationships that we can conclude there’s no chance some of his guys aren’t getting paid? Sean Miller seemed like a similar, “relationship builder” too.

I’m just saying there is often more than what meets the eye.

Mike White is generally considered to be a very coach by all accounts I’ve heard and most the kids he recruits are super high character kids. Many of the kids he goes after were guys Beilein pursued as well. Florida was the biggest competitor for Iggy along with Vanderbilt.

From my interactions with recruits who’ve talked to the Florida staff, they love his enthusiasm and he seems to put a lot of effort into each kid he recruits. Has super in depth plans for each kid in terms of their educations and what they wanna do, and also on the basketball court and how he can try to help them succeed. They also tended to believe in him and his system on both ends believe it or not.

He was also pretty transparent with both the kids and parents and communicated a lot with both groups.

2 Likes

Nothing super shocking here. I figured it was an uphill battle for Christopher.

Fair enough. He’s got some talent right now for sure. Let’s see what they do this year. Barring injury, you would think they should finish top 10 or so.

It’s also worth noting that the school is now a top ten public u according to US News and World Reports most recent rankings (#8), a little bit misperceived, perhaps. Have heard that the admin is working hard to clear up the school’s rep. . .

Yes, it is, and art is in the eye of the beholder, just as human motivation is in the heart of the human being motivated. I think kids are motivated in different ways and by different things. A great recruiter needs to discover what it is that motivates each individual kid. And that is an art form.

6 Likes

If recruiting was some sort of linear algebra equation like you’re suggesting, James Franklin wouldn’t need to see a coach’s wife before deciding if he could hire him on his staff.

Trying to apply some algorithm to this is as useful as trying to deduce why smart, gorgeous women sometimes end up with drug addicted, out of shape men that can’t hold a steady job, and vice versa.

1 Like

This one is going off the rails. Who gives an F about Scottie Barnes? Maybe, for whatever reason, Juwan isn’t interested.

You lost me at the part where you said Juwan Howard just might not want a top 10 player

Don’t be daft. Of course he wants the talent. He might not want whatever else comes with it.

More simply, Barnes is further along in the process and just isn’t feeling Michigan. Nothing that crazy but being honest about it actually helps Michigan more than adding them as the 9th school on his list. But I agree time to move on.

5 Likes

You’re arguing the exception, not the rule. Most really good programs get really good players. It’s not like we see Rutgers, Penn State, and Oregon State hauling in a bunch of elite players. But, if you don’t have friends of the program willing to offer extra benefits, you’re fighting an uphill battle for most five star kids.