2020-21 Roster Speculation

I still think you’re risking a big-time jinx by projecting recruiting out TWO CLASSES and assuming McDaniel and Reid are locked up (I’ll give you that Howard seems secure and Collins is trending right).

Even looking out 21-22 on court is a leap, but let’s at least look at it with what we know to see how the rest of the recruiting may shake out…obviously assuming no weird attrition:

PG - Jackson, (Collins)
SG - Bufkin
SF - Nunez, Barnes
PF - Johns, Williams, Tschetter, Howard
C - Dickinson

Obviously the forwards could be a little fluid with Howard or Williams perhaps playing some 3 and in a pinch we know that Johns could play center and we’re hopeful that Tschetter could be an emergency guy there against some match-ups perhaps.

But you can see that there are plenty of holes still in this depth chart, namely at center and “wing that can play 2/3”. Hopefully some five stars fill those…but I bet there’s at least one grad transfer coming too.

1 Like

I still think the monkey on the program’s back in terms of recruiting is that five-star 2-3 G/F triple-threat playmaker. And I also think that the way the roster is shaping up, there’s going to be plenty of space for that one-and-dones player to slot himself in and thrive.

3 Likes

As time passes, it looks more likely that Brown will be on the 21-22 roster.

We’ll see…everything about the upcoming college season is a total guess. As much as I’d like him on this year’s team to maximize our ceiling, he’d be a valuable piece the following year to stabilize the 3 spot.

2 Likes

I’d still bet money he gets his waiver.

2 Likes

I would too, but I wouldn’t blame him if he decided not to use it. Brown made it sound like he wouldn’t mind the waiver was denied.

1 Like

I hope he plays this year (if they have a season at all). The roster really needs him at the 2/3

1 Like
3 Likes

Waiting to see if there is a season perhaps?

I have to think if they granted the waiver then the season was cancelled he’d be allowed to kick his eligibility to the following year if he wanted to?

Admittedly, doing sensible things for player benefit out of a sense of fairness is not the NCAA’s strong suit.

7 Likes

Jesus. Maybe there is some rationale behind this, but Um’s history with this is not good. By all accounts I’ve heard, the admin was doing a terrible job with Shane Morris’s waiver until Tom Mars stepped in.

I don’t understand at all how they could not have already submitted the waiver request.

1 Like

It does make you raise eyebrows for sure, especially when you see other waivers being granted.

The only thing I can think is that they wanted to get a sense of how the NCAA was reacting to other waivers before filing theirs. If they see a trend based on which approach everyone takes, that could determine their strategy.

1 Like

Perhaps but that seems like a really risky strategy given how long the NCAA takes to decide anything and time is a wasting as they say.

1 Like

Seems like one of those things where the timing of applying for the waiver doesn’t necessarily have to relate to the quality of the waiver application.

2 Likes

Shane Morris?

Sorry. Total brain fart. Meant Shae Patterson.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Juwan Howard’s name being mentioned in NBA circles

Just finished reading BQ’s state-of-the-program piece. Main takeaway is that it looks like they want Brooks on the ball initiating the offense and Smith off the ball. Martelli quoted saying Brooks’ offseason priority has been tightening his handle.

2 Likes

Where is Brendan’s piece? I don’t see it in the Athletic

2 Likes