2020-21 Roster Speculation

MattD: In passing, I’m hearing that neither David DeJulius or Eli Brooks are looking to transfer. Again, things are very fluid, but as of now that’s what sources have indicated to me.

https://mgoblog.com/content/it's-closing-time-hoops-recruiting

Maybe I was reading into something that wasnt there, but I thought @umhoops on the most recent pod alluded to a departure from at least one of Dejulius/Brooks, when discussing how appealing Michigan vs MSU would be for a grad transfer PG - saying something along the lines of ‘as of now, Michigan is less attractive’. Though everybody is acknowledging how fluid the whole situation is.

Maybe one of them was considering, and then re-considered. That could be why there doesn’t appear to be any traction building with grad transfers.

2 Likes

Question for @umhoops and anyone else: from Juan’s perspective, would the program be better off with a transfer from one of Brooks/Dejulius (and which one?) and a grad transfer coming in, or keeping the roster as is - assuming Christopher commits? There’s also the component of which grad transfer(s) are good enough to warrant the swap?

I am torn. Assuming it is Dejulius who transfers: I like Dejulius’ potential and dont necessarily think that it is a given that someone like Aiken would be a huge upgrade. Also, if Dejulius is at least average-to-good this year, keeping him would have the added benefit of presumably getting him for a senior year - and it’s really nice to have senior PG’s. But, getting a more sure-thing in a starting PG via grad transfer (thinking Aiken, maybe Smith) is really tantalizing to pair with what looks like a stacked roster.

Depends a bit on the transfer but I would say to keep the roster as it is. Brooks is a great guy, a veteran, can shoot, and can play defense. That could be huge on next years team. DDJ in my opinion has a lot of potential and upside but I guess he could be a wild card. I would love to have him for the next two seasons though.

1 Like

I don’t think that there is any substance to the idea that Brooks is considering transfer. He has only one year left and would have to sit out a year.

4 Likes

Didn’t really mean to get into specifics or hint at a certain player. Just was pointing out that you could still expect some transfers and don’t know where they are coming from given that the roster is oversigned right now.

Was really just getting at the fact that Michigan doesn’t have a proven point guard for next season and replaces a very high usage player at that spot.

1 Like

The NCAA is supposed to decide soon on making all first time transfers immediately eligible beginning with the 2020-21 seasons. That must be one reason some players are waiting to enter the portal.

Brooks seems like an unlikely candidate to leave regardless.

1 Like

The candidates to transfer seem, just from reading the publicly-available tea leaves, to be Bajema and Castleton, and that’s possibly it? Nunez wants to stay; all reports on DDJ are that he’s staying. There’s nothing indicating Brooks would leave, nor would you think he has any reason to. Not an ideal fit at PG – better off the ball – but scheme around that and let’s keep this very valuable senior/shooter/defender in the lineup. Gotta assume 35 mpg next year for him unless you just can’t make it work somehow. I’d worry about him bringing up the ball vs pressing teams, but otherwise the good stuff he brings is so valuable.

1 Like

FWIW I have seen more reports on castleton staying than DDJ.

3 Likes

I have to think that Matt D’s information on Dave in particular is very good (for obvious reasons).

3 Likes

I haven’t seen any at all, but if I’ve missed them, thanks. Helpful to know.

Whole squad is hanging together

16 Likes

Eli is the man for that

6 Likes

There you have it, Eli is transferring to Army.

7 Likes

All 9 scholarship players are there, I believe.

2 Likes

How did Martelli swing the middle square in the super-Brady Bunch setup?

1 Like

Apparently DDJ has scrubbed his Twitter as well.

1 Like

Dang this is not fun

1 Like

Wrong thread

DDJ leaving would not surprise me at all. Todd deciding this early to decommit would surprise me more.

1 Like