2020-21 Roster Speculation

In Football, Jared Wangler.

Well, guitly until proven innocent :slight_smile: No, but one can simply google it.

NCAA requirements to combine academic and athletic scholarships

Does the NCAA let you combine academic and athletic scholarships? Yes, but you have to earn it in the classroom. While Division I athletic scholarships are relatively easy to qualify for — you need to graduate high school, complete 16 core courses and earn a GPA of 2.3 —the criteria are significantly higher for student-athletes looking to secure non-athletic financial aid. To accept an academic scholarship as an incoming freshman, student-athletes need to meet the following criteria:

1 Like

That rule does not really answer what I was asking for

I guess it is possible but I still would be surprised if it happened just because it doesn’t occur in high major division one basketball where there is basically either full ride scholarships or walk on spots and no in between.

I actually thought about the Jace walk on possibility a few days ago. I think that is possible but I’m guessing Juwan and staff got it worked out by now to where Jace is going to be on a scholarship. I think that’d be a last case scenario type thing so if it does happen I think it meant they probably didn’t have any other choice but to go that route.

still puzzling to go public with davis’ spot so early even if it seems likely

That’s why I think the staff has a pretty good idea on what the roster will look like come next season. The timing on that was pretty early.

2 Likes

What’s the doomsday scenario look like here?

Livers goes pro, Franz goes pro or home, Christopher commits to Arizona State?

If all three of those happen, then we’d likely keep DeJulius and Johns right? I’d assume if they leave it’s because some combo of those three players are above them for minutes.

You are right. Like I said, we are speculating in this forum. But rest assured this issue has been thoroughly investigated by the appropriate folks somewhere in the Athletic department.

The key to this is that if Juwan thought that he was going to be short of scholarships, he would not have offered to Austin 2 months ago, in case he had no information on attrition. So, chances are that it was already investigated…

Of course I can be wrong, but think of it. If nobody goes, and Christopher comes, this team is going to have some serious practices going with all the talent…

Castleton and Bajema getting zero tick for the entire conference season pretty much would seem like a decent implication that the staff has maybe had conversations with them before the season ended.

My bet is we lose those two, along with one of DeJulius/Johns, land Christopher, keep Livers and land a decent rotation-level grad transfer too.

3 Likes

I agree, but I’m guessing that was more of a “player X and player Y told me he’s probably gonna transfer”

I can see all that shaking out. But I’m starting to lean towards Livers going pro and staying in the draft and am getting a bit worried about Christopher now going to Michigan too. The longer this goes the more I feel it favors somewhere closer to home a-La ASU.

2 Likes

FWIW: When Juwan was asked about the scholarship situation yesterday he answered by talking about the coronavirus. So, he probably has a plan but he had no intention of sharing it. :rofl:

6 Likes

I’m definitely excited and nervous for that first domino to fall. It’s not really a bad thing to have good players leave under these circumstances, it just means theres a lot of talent and not enough minutes to go around and thats a good problem to have in this case.

Gotta imagine the first domino is the Christopher commitment. Like someone said earlier, it doesn’t make sense for certain guys to make a decision about staying or transferring before the Christopher news because for all we know we may not even get JC. For example if DDJ were to leave, I imagine we don’t find that out until after Christopher commits (assuming DDJ only leaves if Christopher commits).

1 Like

Speculation is fun if it means Josh Christopher comes to Michigan, Austin Davis somehow gets to academic scholarship, and Jace Howard is a walk-on.

Speculation is not fun if it means some combination of transfer(s) and Livers and/or Wagner going pro.

I want the first scenario. Genuinely like all of these guys! I really worry that Johns, Castleton, Brooks (if he graduates in three) might transfer. I think Bajema and DDJ stay. They are Michigan kids.

*Edit: I know Johns is Michigan kid too, but he’s looking at stiff competition for minutes.

I’ll go one farther than that, I think academic scholarships actually count against a team’s athletic scholarship count. I just don’t know if that is the case for fifth year graduate school scholarship players, but I would think it would.

1 Like

puts tin foil hat on - what if Austins shoulder is a nagging ongoing issue and the talk of him staying was feel good story background stuff but he will eventually go on medical?

1 Like

uhhhh… that would suck actually

1 Like

You’re probably right. I’m trying to convince myself Josh Christopher would have announced by now if Covid-19 didn’t strike. He’s a man of the people though, so he probably had grandiose plans of committing in front of a live studio audience so the hold up is now just him thinking up the most marketable ways to commit to Michigan from alone on his couch.

One can dream.

2 Likes

He literally tweeted something like that out shortly after shit hit the fan in the US! Not the Michigan part but the part about the commitment supposed to be a big moment. I really hope it’s Michigan but knowing how he is and wanting headlines I feel like it wouldn’t be a huge shock for it to be ASU now. The longer it goes the worse I feel about it because he’s had nothing left but to commit since the outbreak started and he hasn’t.

I think that is highly unlikely. Feels like if anything COVID-19 could move up his plans. I would have expected him to go through the AA circuit uncommitted and build some suspense.