2020-21 Roster Speculation

It does make you raise eyebrows for sure, especially when you see other waivers being granted.

The only thing I can think is that they wanted to get a sense of how the NCAA was reacting to other waivers before filing theirs. If they see a trend based on which approach everyone takes, that could determine their strategy.

1 Like

Perhaps but that seems like a really risky strategy given how long the NCAA takes to decide anything and time is a wasting as they say.

1 Like

Seems like one of those things where the timing of applying for the waiver doesn’t necessarily have to relate to the quality of the waiver application.

2 Likes

Shane Morris?

Sorry. Total brain fart. Meant Shae Patterson.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Juwan Howard’s name being mentioned in NBA circles

Just finished reading BQ’s state-of-the-program piece. Main takeaway is that it looks like they want Brooks on the ball initiating the offense and Smith off the ball. Martelli quoted saying Brooks’ offseason priority has been tightening his handle.

2 Likes

Where is Brendan’s piece? I don’t see it in the Athletic

2 Likes

I didn’t take it as one guy is off ball and the other is on ball. Seems like they feel like both have the opportunity there, but Brooks knows the offense better right now

1 Like

I also don’t think that Brooks working to tighten his handle means anything other than Brooks has to tighten his handle. Even if Mike Smith is really good as a PG, Brooks is still going to have to play that spot.

12 Likes

I was nonetheless surprised to hear that they feel Brooks is more comfortable initiating the offense. But the piece also mentioned Smith attacking from the wing or somesuch, so, yeah. And true that it could be just a point-in-time evaluation.

True that both will probably play at the spot. Even with Z soaking up minutes, backup PG was an important role that needed filling.

“Initiating the offense” is an interesting term to me. Makes complete sense that Eli knows the offense far more than Smith, who has been on campus for a couple months and hasn’t done any 5v5.

But I think of the run or play versus make a play spectrum. We know that Eli can “run a play” but who can make a play and create something beyond the initial action in a play.

3 Likes

And this is exactly why I’m concerned if Smith turns out to be more like a “Spike PG” (i.e. valuable backup who plays 15mpg, shoots well, defensive liability, not ideal to play major minutes). Brian at MGoBlog in their latest podcast talked about Smith being the 15mpg backup to Eli at PG and Franz playing a lot of SG. While I agree that you want your best players to play the most…I’ve never seen enough out of Eli to think of him as the guy you want “initiating the offense” most of the game.

Eli will have to play some PG, Franz will have to play some SG (on offense), but let’s hope Smith is good enough to play 25+ minutes at PG because that unlocks everyone’s strengths IMO.

1 Like

Yeah as long as “initiating the offense” means passing off to the wing/elbow, and running to the opposite corner, Eli can certainly initiate. (I’m exaggerating for effect here.)

It’s all just speculation right now… We can watch every possession that Mike Smith played last year, but it is really impossible to gauge what elements transfer to the Big Ten and which don’t. Offseason workouts aren’t really going to make that obvious necessarily either.

1 Like

If Frankie Collins was on this year’s roster, would you make him the favorite to be the starting PG?

Yeesh, it is a massive step up from being a good HS PG to playing PG in the Big Ten. I generally think it is almost always a bad idea for PGs to re-class (Thornton, Lander, etc.) because of the mental and physical chore of playing PG in college.

Collins is a good player, has some athletic tools, but he’s not even one of those five-star types that you’d consider as a re-class target.

So I would say no, but maybe in the mix to get some minutes based on the roster construction.

1 Like

Hmm…interesting question. I think that might be a case where you START Brooks in that spot, but Collins is first off the bench and shifts Eli to SG. I think Collins may be capable of 20mpg as a freshman and we’ll likely find out the following year.

Eli is a luxury as your back-up PG and solid SG. He isn’t ideal as your primary PG.

Another possible way to raise the ceiling this year or mitigate Smith’s deficiencies would be if Zeb can join the rotation even in a modest way.

1 Like

Interesting quote from Martelli in BQ’s piece:
“Asked if offseason consideration has been given to Johns playing at the five, where more minutes might be available, Martelli says, ‘It hasn’t been a topic,’ but adds that nothing can ever be ruled out, especially in August.”

1 Like