2019 - Wing - Jaden McDaniels (Washington Commit)

Well that seems to be who he is complaining about. The older son was unexpectedly redshirted. We know Dutcher can recruit.

Whatā€™s there to doubt at this point? Some clearly prefer the money.

1 Like

Can put this one to bed officially.

He will end up at Kentucky or San Diego State. And if SDSU lands Boogie Ellis, a top 30 caliber guard, I think it really makes SDSU a major player for him.

Brian Dutcher doing well there. Jaden probably will miss out playing with big brother Jalen though.

Gotta believe heā€™s gone after this year.

So, with recent developments, is there even the slightest possibility that McDaniels to UofM happens? Itā€™s been an odd recruitmentā€¦

Wonder who is the first recruit that Juwan is going to call? Bajema, Wilson, Zeb, or McDaniels?

1 Like

McDaniels just committed to Washington so thereā€™s that.

Welp.

CaN jUwAn HoWaRd EvEn ReCrUiT?!?

8 Likes

:rofl: Jalen told us heā€™d be bringing in McDā€™s AAs. He canā€™t even lure his own relatives! The Juwan Howard experiment is officially over. :laughing:

4 Likes

Washington is going to be very good this year.

FWIW (as a technicality):

Rather than a national letter of intent, McDaniels will sign a financial aid agreement thatā€™s non-binding for prospective athletes and must be honored by the schools. Theoretically, he could sign with other schools without penalty.

2 Likes

Weird, I probably shouldnā€™t view it as any indication he is still waiting on Michigan, however.

No, and I believe it is required that he sign that and not a NLI because the late signing period is over.

1 Like

The financial aid agreement protects the athlete rather than the school. Itā€™s binding for the school but the athlete could go elsewhere if they wanted to. Transfers sign financial aid agreements because you can only sign a letter of intent once.

1 Like

Interesting to see their relationship downplayed as ā€œdistant cousinsā€. Seems like Howard was key in Jalen going to SDSU:

Howard, of course, was part of the iconic Fab Five under Steve Fisher and Brian Dutcher at Michigan in the early 1990s before embarking on a 19-year NBA career. Heā€™s also cousins with McDaniels (Howardā€™s father and McDanielsā€™ grandmother are siblings).

ā€œHe told me, I didnā€™t have to ask,ā€ McDaniels said of his conversations with Howard. ā€œHe just said that those two coaches are going to take care of you and work you hard. I know heā€™s not going to lie about anything just to get me to go there. Heā€™s family.ā€

2 Likes

This seems to come up once or twice a year ā€” usually in football at the end of the late signing period ā€” but Iā€™m surprised more of the elite recruits donā€™t take this route and abstain from signing a NLI. Gives the recruit more wiggle room if something unforeseen happens (like Beilein leaving late or a late NCAA notice of infractions or the Meyer/Smith allegations orā€¦)

Harlond Beverly did this for Miami.

1 Like