2018 - F - Jerome Hunter (IU Commit)

How are the 3/4 spots more crowded at Michigan? You mentioned three guys for two spots over three classes while IU just picked up three guys for those 2 spots in one class plus another three highly recruited underclassman already on campus at those spots.

1 Like

Hunter had all the opportunity in the world to come to M. He just didnā€™t wanna be here. So much for the early identification and the Caris angle.

2 Likes
1 Like

I didnā€™t realize they had three guys coming in. I think itā€™s very arguable Anderson and one of the guys coming in (who is 6-4) can play the two, but of course that still leaves them with four guys at the 3/4 positions.

The reality is, weā€™re not going to get every kid we want, and Iā€™m not surprised Miller is getting recruits at Indiana, which is a top 5-10 program in college hoops over the past 40 years.

2 Likes

We offered all 3 of those Indiana commits. The lip service from recruits regarding player development is meaningless when compared to personal relationships with their future coach.

2 Likes

Soooo hows Iggyā€™s personal relationship with JB?

He was my favorite target in this class, so it hurts. But if we get Iggy, itā€™ll make up for this loss. And Iā€™d rather he go to IU than OSU. JMO

1 Like

In fairness, Miller identified him even earlier while at Dayton so his hiring at IU negated that angle for Beilein.

1 Like

I see this point but it is SO much different identifying someone early as a mid major prospect, offering, then continue to recruit him to your next destination as he blows up than it was for JB to identify a high major type talent before any other high majors and offer and continue to pursue dilligently through the process. It just so happened that Miller translated a good mid major coaching position into a good high major position and could easily justify continue recruiting Hunter at a high major level

Give me Brazdeikis & Locke.

2 Likes

Not the best of luck for Beilein, no doubt.

1 Like

And Indiana offered Brandon Johns.

Itā€™s not like Hunter picked Nebraska or something. Donā€™t you think itā€™s entirely possible JB did a very good job of recruiting him and ultimately, he just liked Indiana better? It happens.

In recruiting, you canā€™t worry about the kids you donā€™t land, you have to focus on the ones you do. If we get 1-2 solid commits in this class, weā€™re in great shape.

1 Like

This is why you keep on recruiting, as Beilein did, even after you offer your primary targets.

2 Likes

https://x.com/paulfritschner/status/1754948172512694451?s=46&t=SywsRwjImAPP0DFzyXGjwg

Not as old as Seth Towns, but more news for old former recruits.

Heā€™s had an awful go of it with health issues and injuries. Tough to see.

Wow, I remember he was on their team last year,

No idea he was back.