2017 Recruiting Notes

Donnie Tillman now #2 in both scoring and rebounding and top 100 camp. So under-ranked

1 Like

My bad on the post above - Dylan’s previous post captured much of it

If we did jump into Tillman’s recruitment would we be up in that top tier cause of in state? Or behind the top tier schools no matter what, has a pretty good list as is

Matt, you’ve officially pushed me on the Donnie bandwagon. Every time I see his film I like him more. He has that “dog” in him that we missed sorely over the last 2 years and he’d let us actually compete down low with the upper tier post teams in the big ten.

Where you seeing the stats for the camp

Just because it would be better with a larger sample size doesn’t make their composite rankings “pure garbage”. Odd angle to take.

3 Likes

Really like tillmans game. Think he would be a great compliment to young as well. Could be an undersized 5 in a draymond role even in spurts. Will be interesting to see how many “non shooters” he takes in the class. 4 openings and Poole already in the fold, could definitely take 2 imo. Matthews and one of Tillman/smith.

1 Like

Perhaps its not pure garbage and ‘odd’ to you. Its sort of ‘odd’ to me that you think a rankings system based exclusively on the mean of 4 sites, when several more exist, is anything but garbage, but that’s just my take. But I understand your agenda as well, so not surprising.

Justin Smith, Donnie Tillman at NBPA
http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=3513

JUSTIN SMITH – 2017 – SF – STEVENSON – ILLINOIS
On day 2 Smith put together a couple of respectable efforts that coincided with more energy and activity on both ends of the court. He’s an explosive leaper so transition and highlight finishes will always be one of his calling cards but Thursday he also showed activity on the glass and an ability to make big plays down the stretch. His 12 point 5 rebound 1 assist effort in the evening was his best so far but when his team needed it he stepped to the free throw line and hit big free throws to seal the victory for them. A solid day’s work for the talented wing who is really just scratching the surface of his potential.

DONNIE TILLMAN – 2017 – F – FINDLAY PREP – NEVADA
The afternoon session saw the best that Tillman has to offer as he attacked the glass and attacked the rim and scored with dominant results. His 19 point 6 rebound 1 assist effort was just a glimpse into his potential as he finished in transition, at the mid-range level, and around the basket. Another solid prospect who shined at times on Thursday in Virginia.

More on Smith from day 1:
http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=3510

JUSTIN SMITH – 2017 – SF – STEVENSON HS – ILLINOIS
A highly explosive wing with soaring bounce and highlight transition skills, Smith had his best effort during the nightcap where he scored 10 points and grabbed 6 rebounds on a 5-8 effort from the field. His activity elevated in the evening and he ran the floor better resulting in a solid second game performance. A highly athletic wing with a high ceiling, Smith showed flashes of his potential on Wednesday.

It is definitely a far from perfect tool. And because they’re only taking into account 4-5 recruiting sites, there’s a decent chance for variation. But it’s still an improvement over looking at just one site.

Obviously, when there’s an outlier like one site not evaluating a kid and marking him as NR (as in Cain’s case), it’s essentially meaningless. But after he’s been thoroughly evaluated by all major sites by the end of the summer AAU season, his composite score will be much more reflective of where all sites see him (assuming they all do their in-person evals).

I’m not really looking at them right now because summer just started and there’s lots of ball to be played. It’ll be more useful after the summer.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s garbage, but when they’re still giving a composite score when one of the major sites haven’t even evaluated a player, it’s not going to be useful.

1 Like

Do either Livers or Davison get an offer on their visits?

I think most people would agree that a larger sample size (averaging 4 recruiting sites) is better than any single recruiting site. That isn’t really an “agenda”.

1 Like

The composite score will still be more useful than the site rankings that haven’t evaluated the player.

Every single recruiting site has guys they are wrongly too low on (or haven’t evaluated) and every single recruiting site has guys that they are wrongly too high on.

Oh, I just read your post above the one where you replied to me. Yes, I agree with all of that.

So we agree that it’s not a garbage too.

I imagine both will.

Look for Wisconsin to really push for Davison to commit before July.

He’s taking an official to Stanford next weekend. They think they are in second right now…behind Wisconsin.

A few clips of Cain from EYBL Session 3 that I was just too lazy to throw together until now.