2016/17 Commitment Updates

Correct and once McGary wasn’t going to be eligible or went pro didn’t that eliminate the chance GRIII would return because if things went well couldn’t they have done???

McGary
Robinson
Irvin
Levert
Walton

1 Like

He did play the wing. What do you think the 4 is in Michigan’s offense?

He wouldn’t have committed to Michigan if he knew he’d be playing the 4? Where else would he have committed? Indiana State? Michigan was his only major offer at the time he committed.

To be fair, GRIII played entirely wing during his career here. We all know that the 3/4 are largely exchangeable in this offense. The only difference is the defender you draw on the other end of the floor. Had we played mostly zone, there will be no difference whatsoever.

1 Like

Send the coaching staff an email then, just to alert them if they have not heard on this kid.

The goal is to get the best 5 guys on the floor at the same time. If GRIII was concerned about it, he should’ve watched Michigan play before he committed. Beilein’s 4 men are wings on offense and cover the other team’s 2nd biggest guy, which is usually the 4. Been that way for a long time.

D.J Wilson was told also suppose to be a 4 but Guess what he plays center look these things up if you don’t believe me.

You had originally said thatGR3 was recruited to play the wing and left early because he wanted to play his true position.

I responded that GR3 did play the wing. I’m not sure what DJ Wilson has to do with it.

I’m just speaking in general. GR3 was suppose to be WING he thought Mitch was going to be a 4 and JMO a 5 my thing is BeilIen needs to stop telling these players one thing and when they show up on campus they don’t I personally don’t like that. I said it before Pittsnoggle was the worst thing to happen to him . He is obsessed with the stretch 4 that he forces guards to that position and we end up getting killed in the paint .

Lol there is a zero percent chance Beilein ever promised that GRIII would play the 3 with McGary at the 4 lol. GRIII is basically exactly what Beilein wants in a 4 man and McGary is a straight up center.

GR3 is not everything JB wants in a 4. At least not until he actually played GR3 at the 4. Maybe now it is. He’s 6ft 6inches for crying out loud.

If JB is looking for 6ft 6in 4’s, we are in bigger trouble than I initially thought.

I am not following your logic on the Pitsnoggle thing and Beilein forcing guards to play the 4.

1 Like

Pretty awesome that jsmith68 derailed the purpose of this thread. How many pages do I have to scroll up to find any actual commitment updates?

This makes zero sense considering JB was a few plays from winning it all with GR3 at the 4 and the team was wildly successful both years that GR3 played the 4. GR3 at the 4, even at 6’6 was a total mismatch for other teams. I think some times people look at the height thing without, you know, actually looking at the results. I think JB would be ecstatic to find another GR3 to play the 4 going forward.

1 Like

I completely agree with you, that after using GR3 at the 4 and having success, he adapted. I don’t think his initial plan was to play GR3 at the 4 though.

Going forward, if he’s searching for a GR3 replica, he may never find it. GR3 was big time college ready from the moment he arrived on campus. Would love to grab another player with his makeup in the future.

1 Like

Pittsnogle was nothing but a 5 at WVU. His 4’s over the years at WVU and UM include 6’8" Tyrone Sally, 6’5" Frank Young, 6’8" Joe Alexander, 6’8" Deshawn Sims (sort of), 6’4" Zach Novak, 6’6" GR3. He is looking for a mismatch at that spot. He wants someone that can shoot the ball, it’s pretty simple. Opens the floor for the offense. If his teams make 12 3’s during a game, that’s 18 2’s they can give up and still be tied.

Not to drag this out, but in no way was Novak initially recruited to play 4. I understand, he played there because we had no alternative though. Same with GR3. JB’s history until Novak had some pretty big boys playing the 4.

Look at Michigan’s roster back then man, literally no one else is even close to being shaped like a college 4 besides GRIII. I don’t remember exactly but I feel like in 12-13 we played one of our centers as the backup 4. It’s very clear that GRIII was meant to be a 4. He also had no perimeter skills coming in. Can’t imagine that Beilein wanted his SF not being able to dribble.

He ended up near a five star. He could have played most places he wanted.

Ended up a 5-star for the final rankings after his senior year. When he committed he was a generic 3-star. He signed during the early signing period–I’m not sure where he was ranked then, but teams weren’t really coming after him from what I recall.

Regardless, he played the wing at Michigan. Perhaps he wanted to have the ball in his hands more, but he wasn’t a creator and was never more than the 3rd option on offense.