2014 Wing Recruiting

What are the “backup” options on the wing for 2014?

Say Booker goes UK. Bluiett goes UCLA. Chatman goes Arizona.

Do we just take two “4” position guys like Bolden and Cunningham?

Blackmon Jr. is one guy obviously. I don’t think he goes to Kentucky if Booker does. Maybe Michigan makes a big play there.

Blackmon Jr. is one guy obviously. I don't think he goes to Kentucky if Booker does. Maybe Michigan makes a big play there.

Someone else said it here or on MGoBlog, but I would be more than a little surprised if Blackmon Jr. left a top-tier B1G basketball program for another B1G program. I would think UK/Louisville are in good position. That said, I certainly wouldn’t be upset if he decided to Go Blue. Would Blackmon Jr. committing impact Jalen Coleman’s decision at all? I also really like his game and hope he’s the first piece in the 2015 class.

Not sure what the Big Ten has to do with it?

Maybe I’m off base, but I guess I feel that maybe part of the reason for decommitting from a program like Indiana (national top-tier basketball program, huge arena, etc.) was the conference Indiana was in. It’s complete speculation, but something that did make me think for a bit.

I think it has more to do with how long ago he committed (before ninth grade) and there’s definite interest in Kentucky… But IF Booker were to go there that would make things interesting.

Agreed, it’s legitimate enough to follow if that ends up being the case. I’m the guy who lost interest in Bluiett when Butler was presumed to lead, then Stevens left and everything seemed to change (and change again with UCLA). So take my worries with a grain of salt.

I think it has more to do with how long ago he committed (before ninth grade) and there's definite interest in Kentucky.. But IF Booker were to go there that would make things interesting.

That’s true - I forgot about the Booker vs. Blackmon thing and Kentucky.

1. I don’t think it’s likely that Michigan misses on all three of Booker, Bluiett, and Chatman (but concede that it’s more than a slim chance).
  2. Michigan could get by with Albrecht and LeVert backing up the 2 and 3 (like they did as freshmen for a national championship contender) (but concede that it’s not ideal).
  3. My gut tells me that Booker - who is used to being THE scorer for his team - would favor MSU over Kentucky (and maybe Michigan if playing time is his biggest deciding factor).
  4. Perhaps Michigan is recruiting DJ Wilson and Josh Cunningham as wings.
  5. Regarding Blackmon: why wouldn’t ANY recruit want to leave Indiana to go to Michigan? I mean, have you seen how Crean and Beilein act?