We are so soft it isn't funny

http://www.todaysu.com/big-ten-today/michigan-wolverines/john-beilein-has-a-forward-problem-in-ann-arbor/

Now imagine whatā€™s being said on the recruiting trailā€¦

Iā€™m with you a hundred percent on this end. You have been slamming his recruiting too but Iā€™m not totally with you there as you can see from my other posts as I like rahkman and Dawkins. I even think chatman still has a chance in the 14 class. Also I really like wagners potential. Letā€™s see what he does in 17 outside of Poole.

But I am on your wagon that he has failed on the x and oā€™s this year. For instance how is Forbes getting clean looks/ wide open looks when he starts two of two. He should have been face guarded like they do to Duncan. That is disgusting. also his motion And sets as you have pointed out have been horrible. I believe our struggles have been a lack of execution and chemistry/ putting guys in spots to succeed as opposed to straight talent as Iā€™ve said in numerous posts. He needs to step up and help these guys right this slump/ struggles. We see the same old stuff. His out of bounds play is so predictable that we often canā€™t get the ball in again like last year and have to throw it out deep to donnall. All he does is pass it im And try and hit Duncan right back in the corner. Teams stopped falling for that after seeing it once. Iā€™ve also been critical of his minutes/ rotation. I still feel like we donā€™t have a set rotation/ solid answers and the season is almost over.

All that being said mp Iā€™m with your frustration, but donā€™t yank Davis scholly even if we could. I see why you arenā€™t fond of him but he will be the sleeper of that clAss. I stand by that. By the time he leaves in 2020 you will be very pleased with his career mark my words.hes going to be the bruising big we need. And I think he will be a good dirty work big who will give us a lot of good moments on the low block with his foot work. I think he will give us a low post scoring option who can create for himself.

The Wolverine Beat: Michiganā€™s spring football approaches and some serious basketball issues

Around the 20:00 mark this is a really realistic discussion about many issues surrounding the state of the program as it exists today. Lasts about 30 minutes, worth the time.

3 Likes

They hit the nail on the head he has to get a player who has a different type of mindset and mentality he does himself no favors shying away from them. If he continues to to this maybe the game has passed him and is right for this job.

Yeah - basically what they said.

Good insights in that discussion ā€“ especially the comment about how JB wonā€™t look seriously at guys who have an ā€œedgeā€ or might ā€œrock the boatā€, which in turn lead to teams lacking toughness and fire.

Itā€™s not just about being ā€œdirtyā€ vs ā€œcleanā€ after all. As other have noted, there are other dimensions to our recruiting woes beyond NCAA compliance.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why he needs to look in the mirror ,as I said soft coach =soft team . Remember Corey Sanders and Dwayne Bacon those guys played with a swagger but reasons for cooling on them was " they didnā€™t fit" . Thatā€™s what type of players that we were getting that made Mich bball good. Cazzie Russell Chi town baller Orr teams had rugged talented guys Freids and Fish teams did to.

Both of those posts are quite good. Baumgardner/Quinn hit the nail on the head, all these players are Beileinā€™s guys and put forth his vision. If Walton goes out and says they need to show heart or whatever then go out and do it donā€™t just say it. After all the recruiting misses can we really say itā€™s the kids or isnā€™t it something with JB that makes recruits go the other way? Eventually when you miss out on plan a kids some of those plan b and c kids arenā€™t going to pan out.

After listening to those shows I thought one thing was interesting. Now I donā€™t think coach b is on the hot seat nor do I believe he should be. But it would be fun to speculate who you would like as replacements. They mentioned Archie miller and that was one name that jumped out to me. Heā€™s one guy Iā€™d be interested in, in taking over. He would be s good pick up in my mind.

when coach b leaves heā€™s one guy Iā€™d love to take over if he was still around. I canā€™t see him being at Dayton forever. He wins to many games at that school. Imagine what he could do with our resources and nAme.
I also like frank Martin. What about Ben howland? All guys Iā€™d love to see what they could do with our name and reach.

I was and still a big fan of coach b. When we hired him away I was very pleased. Also speaking of west va, what about Huggins? We need like they said in that podcast a few guys who have a bit of an edge. Take on some questionable personalities.in the mix with our good guys and you got a winner.

Huggins is a special breed of person. I donā€™t think he would fit in at Michigan though I would love him.

There are some awesome, hilarious and disturbing stories out there about Huggins.

Archie Miller or Chris Mack if you going that route. Hopefully itā€™s Billy Donovan after he fails at OKC

I think Archie Miller will be coaching a power-5 conference team by the time Michigan is looking for a new coach.

Mack is an interesting name. Heā€™s a Cincinnati boy, though, and graduated from Xavier. That doesnā€™t mean he will never leave, but it would probably take a great offer.

Michigan would never hire Huggins. Probably same for Howland.

Mack interviewed for Florida job last year I believe.

If youā€™re going to mention Donovan I would like to nominate Fred Hoiberg. He still has 4 years left after this year but the Bulls are showing a lot of signs of crumbling.

With the way the past two seasons are going we can probably stop the Lavell Jordan coach in waiting tag.

I did not know that. Interesting. Was he offered the job? Florida is a definitely good job, but not a Duke, UNC, UK, KU type of job.

I like that too ASF. And it wouldnā€™t be a drastic change for the roster.

I donā€™t want Jordan. He needs to go coach somewhere first.

Although he wouldnā€™t leave, in an ideal situation I would want someone like Sean Miller. Dominates west coast recruiting, plays tough and big. Even in a slightly down year, Arizona is never an easy out for anyone, anywhere. Would be a Harbaugh-level hire.

Martin is scary ā€“ seems to get good results but his personalityā€¦

1 Like

Hopefully Beilein until heā€™s good and ready to give up the job. This speculation is completely useless and a perfect example of how ridiculous this board is getting.

4 Likes

Totally agree, with the caveat that he has to be willing to make adjustments to change the programā€™s trajectory and get the team performing better. Middle of the Big Ten pack and a bubble team with zero defensive prowess isnā€™t going to cut it indefinitely.

2 Likes