We are so soft it isn't funny

Until our coach starts recruiting tougher players who play D. Our fan base is going to talk about 2013 like our football fans bring up 97 . Like Al Bundy talks about scoring 4 touchdowns at Polk high.

2 Likes

So soft!!! IU goes to the rack at will and no one fouls the piss out of them to send a message.

This is what happens when Michigan plays a good team. They get smacked. this is inexcusable

3 Likes

We have some good guards coming in but I’m afraid our big guys will be more of the same.

Can any of those guards prevent penetration? Or are they only good ball handlers, protect the ball and can hit a jump shot?

They will be.

Just a pet peeve and it was just this game the Michigan players hugging and laughing with Bielfeldt before the game. This is 45 minutes before a game a huge week for the team. Go out and kick his butt then shake hands, hug him and laugh with him.

2 Likes

I will admit I was pissed off seeing an extended handshake with a moron that doesn’t deserve it. Shake his hand and move on. Don’t talk to him. Don’t extend anything beyond the absolute minimum respect to a coach in reality that deserves none.

The guy is known for the fly by handshake and has been comically disrespectful to Beilein in this regard.

Also agree on the Bielfedlt thing.

The most embarrassing event of the night was Harbaugh was in the Indiana lockerroom (who gives a crap if its his brother law). The fact that he continues to parade around with him (he also did this before the team’s laughable performance against Indiana in football) is a joke.

3 Likes

I was not so keen on the fact that it was a big distracting Harbaugh show. Those guys should have been in their seats rooting for Beilein to get a win. The ENTIRE world is not a backdrop for your recruiting.

1 Like

Are you serious!!! Take notes on Harbaugh!! Guy is about to pull in a hell of a recruiting class. Concentrate on Michigan basketball issues not factors they can’t control!

If Harbaugh had anything to do with this loss, then he is the most powerful man in the world.

On another note, losing to Crean and Izzo would just make for some midget madness. Please figure this out guys! Offense just stood around and defensively we were lost.

Most disturbing, and I think the overall point of this thread, is that we seemed to just accept it. No leadership. No stance made. Just keep running the same plays and get the same result with the same careless look on your face.

“Keep running the same plays”

This is one of my biggest complaints with JB. We have so few set plays outside our basic offense that stopping a run like Indiana went on becomes way harder than it should.

People can say we need Caris in there to stop runs, and I agree, he would help. What would also help is having a play outside the basic offensive structure to get an easy look or create a mismatch.

When Michigan went on their run, Crean came out of a timeout with sets and attacked Michigan. We come out of time outs and just get right back into our motion offense and throw the ball around the perimeter.

Crean started the 2nd half with a play every coach in the country should steal. Created a wide open 3 and Michigan had no clue it was coming. Probably because it was a new play.

Like your football coach hanging out in the opposing team’s locker room after their 24-0 run at halftime. Terrible optics.

Guess all the commentators talking about Beilein being an offensive mastermind are making it up? Don’t think the problem is a lack of plays.

On a positive note, our 6 losses are against 5 Top 25 teams and UConn who is borderline with a 15-6 record. Also Texas has won 6 of 7 including 3 over ranked opponents.

We just could really use a quality win on our resume other than Maryland.

Yes I like my football coach in the opposing team lockeroom since his Brother in Law is the head coach!! I like that my football coach cares about his family. Seems like a good value to have.

But hey anything to not discuss the real issues in the basketball program.

The fact that JB thinks it was the offense as the biggest problem during the longest run this year in a basketball game speaks volumes. In basketball sometimes the ball doesn’t go in. When that happens Michigan has no where to turn

2 Likes

Offensive mastermind… Haha.

That’s coach speak my friend. He’s a good offensive mind. He’s far from a mastermind.

And you are right, our problems start and end on the defensive end. I think we can agree on that.

This is a great point. There is so much emphasis put on offense, when we hear the coaches talk about the recruits or players all the attributes are about offense. If the ball isn’t falling for you it’s probably important to do something to stem the tide. So Indiana shoots 60% in the 1st half give them some credit but the fact is even if you held them to 43% shooting you would still have had a shot in the 2nd half.

At the end of the day is there any reason to believe this program is going to have decent defensive teams? The defense has been hemorrhaging for the past 3 seasons and there hasn’t been any sign of it stopping. This borderline Rich Rodriguez stuff with a great offense but can’t play a lick of defense and we wonder why Michigan only has 2 decent wins this year.

Glass half full: Good or bad, we have an ability to regain focus when it looks like its been completely lost. In 2014 when we lost to Iowa and Wisconsin, we looked quite lost and looked like our spirit was quite easily broken in those games. Things worked out, even if its inexcusable that they could mentally turn off.

Glass half empty: It doesn’t take McDs all americans to sprint back on D, move the ball, take decent shots… its concerning that these simple things can’t be instilled to be “always on” regardless of score. Its also concerning that we can’t call a few strategic timeouts and run some set plays to get better shots than we did yesterday to break the run. So few passes, so many contested heroball shots. Its also concerning that in most of our games that we’ve been smoked that the coach’s response is “wow, they were really good”. Doesn’t give a ton of confidence that they have a plan (but I’m sure they do).

Win Saturday and this will be quickly forgotten I guess, whether it should be or not.

Need Caris urgently, and need a loud Crisler on Saturday. That 2014 MSU game was the loudest I’ve seen it and it was on the back of looking bad against Wisc.

1 Like

After a game like that, I find it helps to remind myself that it’s only a game. I turned it off after half time.

As an aside, I was wondering why they didn’t wear “big game maize” for a major home game against a ranked opponent. Maybe they were expecting to get punked and didn’t want it to happen in the maize.

Out of curiosity, will Michigan be favored to win in any more games besides NW and @Minn?

According to Ken Pom those are the only 2 remaining games they’re predicted to win. They will probably end up winning a couple more but I doubt there are many people here that is optimistic about getting a result against MSU, Iowa, Purdue or Maryland.