Upcoming Season

According to ESPN, they can replay in the case of obvious errors, which it seems this was.

Was the MSU/ FGCU fiasco analyzed/ outlined on ESPN?

The officials got it wrong and the clock keeper got it wrong at least twice. Other than that, every thing was on the up and up.

2 Likes

I cannot, for the life of me, understand the final ruling. Suppose that the MSU defender heard the horn go off well before the shot, relaxed or started celebrating, and the shot had gone in–should the shot have counted then? Of course not, and neither should it have counted against FGCU’s player who may have been affected by hearing the horn going off. It was a clear, ref created error (assuming you believe the refs started the clock, not the scorer–if it was the scorer, the situation is much, much worse) which could and should have been replayed. Would FGCU have won–unlikely–but to have it end like that was flat out disgraceful.

3 Likes

Any early thoughts that you guys have on South Carolina? Sort of a trap game after the highs of last week, on the road, right before Thanksgiving.

1 Like

Don’t know too much besides them having PJ Dozier, who Michigan obviously was recruiting. Was thinking the same thing re: trap game and the fact that it is our first true road game. That being said, there shouldn’t be much of an atmosphere from the students since it is the day before Thanksgiving.

2 Likes

First thing that stands out about SC is they are big athletic and can get after it on the offensive glass. Potentially another SMU-type of test.

Thornwell/Dozier/Notice all hit the 3 at a high percentage they will need to really close out on those guys.

I wouldn’t take any of their stats seriously. They’ve played 4 below average teams.

Yep. All of their guys right now have gaudy stats from beating up on tincans, but all of them were very meh in a home game against Monmouth.

Keep Thornwell away from the rim. Attack Silva and Kotsar, who foul a bunch, and block those guys out. It’s okay if USC shoot 3s but prevent wide open catch-and-shoot versions. Be on the look out for backdoor cuts, the roll man, etc., because the D will be aggressive but guys will be open.

All in all, a mostly upside game. USC will be decent, this isn’t going to be a bad loss, especially on the road, while an away road win would look nice and I think we have a good shot. I’m not worried too much about a let down game from these guys, not with the new coaches and how the last couple seasons went and as it’s the first road game of the year.

This doesn’t relate directly to South Carolina, but because they are similar to SMU, do you think some of our success vs. SMU was because our offense is so difficult to prepare for in less than a day? Obviously we still looked great, but how much do you think such a short prep benefits UM?

FWIW, from Jeff Goodman: “Source told ESPN it was NOT the clock operator who started the clock early on final play of Michigan State’s win over Florida Gulf Coast. Typically, it is the responsibility of the referee inbounding the ball to start the clock – and in this case, it was Lewis Garrison.”

How does anyone - official or clock operator - think that the clock starts before the ball is touched? That’s just a bone-head, mindless mistake. I try not to bash officials for their judgment calls but this was an awful error by a professional that’s being paid.

1 Like

Accidents happen but it was highly unprofessional to not redo the play. It makes no sense to me.

1 Like

Is UCLA gonna be the only RPI top 25 team we play in the non-con?

Northwestern just beat Texas by 20. Didn’t see that coming.

2 Likes

This prediction by Dakich is looking less and less crazy… F4 is still super presumptuous, but isnt a laughable prediction after the first four games

2 Likes

I noticed that our team block rate is 12.8%, good for 72 in the country right now. Obvious early season caveats apply but since 2009 the highest we’ve been is 226th with a 7.4 rate with most seasons in between being in the 300’s.

1 Like