Upcoming Season

Winston will probably take over in the next week or so.

1 Like

I hope we pound the ball inside against MSU.

Their PG play is weak. They lack any depth on the frontline. And if you try and contain Bridges, heā€™s a rough shooter and turnover prone. Just keep him off the boards.

Langford and Winston donā€™t look bad but they look like theyā€™re going to take some time to adjust. If anything Ward seems like heā€™s their second best freshman by far IMO.

3 Likes

Iā€™m still insanely afraid of a Winston, Langford, Eron Harris (with his game figured out), Bridges, Ward lineup. But who knows if Izzo will ever get himself to this point he seems to love Nairn and McQuaid quite a bit. That team has no half court offense whatsoever right now

I donā€™t know that he loves that line up. I think it is more of the case that he is reluctant to play freshmen. The Fab Five never would have happened under Izzo.

I feel the same way but he needs to realize and will realize that Cassius Winston is far better then Tum Tum and Langford is very talented and better than McQuaid.

Iā€™m shocked at MSUā€™s God awful home non conference schedule. Their best home game by a fairly wide margin is St. Johnā€™s. Sucks for their fans.

The reason why Winston and Langford arenā€™t playing very much right now is because they are averaging 7.5 and 6.5 fouls/40 respectively. Winston in particular keeps coming in early but canā€™t stay on the floor.

2 Likes

Sparta really needed to take advantage of a depleted Arizona team to get a marquee win for tourney seeding. Unless they beat Duke (which, lol) all theyā€™ll have is the Big ten games.

1 Like

Itā€™s even worse than you thought. St. Johns is in Atlantis. Theyā€™re best non-conference home game is FGCU.

They have some opportunity in Atlantis to pick up good wins. Will probably get atleast one.

1 Like

Their fans have been upset about their home non conference schedule for some time.

Yup, kenpom doesnā€™t show hypothetical match ups so I missed those. They have a shot vs Baylor/VCU to get a decent win.

Harris seems like he could go off at anytime. At the same point, they look like streaky shooters. Langford looks timid and Winston looks S.L.O.W.

Iā€™d expect Walton to have a field day against their PGs.
Ward/Goins vs Wagner/Donnal? Iā€™ll take our bigs too.

Iā€™d probably put Irvin on Bridges just to try and keep a body between him and the basket.
Obviously with stretches of Wilson on him as well.

Then hope MAAR and Duncan can chase Langford and Harris.

4 Likes

Winston looks pretty good.

If we just dare Bridges to shoot I think everything will be ok.

Eastern just committed to Purdue. Better them than Sparty I guess

1 Like

Speaking of Eastern, where has MattD been? Is he on another sabatical?

I agree we can beat Sparty this year. Very overrated. Walton is better then Nairn and Winston Harris over MAAR iā€™d take a senior solid Irvin over a young freshman Bridges Duncan over McQuaid and Donnal/Wagner over Ward/Goins benches are pretty even. No excuses this year vs them.

1 Like

Freshmen usually look timid their first time playing in Madison Square Garden. By the same token, I assume I would (rightfully) get flak if I called Simpson timid after tonightā€™s game. I would still take Langford any day of the week, and am still disappointed that we missed on him. We donā€™t have too many athletic shot-creators after all.

But youā€™re right about Winston.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a shame ā€“ it seemed like we could have had a really good chance with Eastern if we had only kept recruiting him.

1 Like

Deyonta Davis leaving really changed the trajectory of this season for MSU. If they get Schilling back for the B1G thatā€™ll help them.