Upcoming Season

That’s why I couched it with wait a month. Many successful freshmen have started slow their first season — Ray Jackson didn’t start the entire non-conference season (and first month of the B1G slate), Travis Conlon was an afterthought much of the non-con schedule, Caris LeVert was going to be redshirted the first month of his frosh year, Aubrey Dawkins & MAAR both looked out of place most games until after the Christmas Break.

It’s quite normal for the speed of the college game to get to freshmen their first few contests. Whether they’re able to adjust and “get it” after a couple weeks is the key. If Simpson doesn’t, then Michigan has a big issue with depth — but too early to make that call one weekend in to the season.

2 Likes

One random thing that I really like to see is that our centers are shooting 86% from the free throw line through the first couple games on a decent amount of attempts. After the Morgan/McGary/Doyle years of 50-60% it’s nice to be confident when both centers are at the line.

1 Like

I’m really happy with the front court. Wagner, Wilson , donnal is starting to look like a strength. I hope they continue to get fed and get more looks. I don’t think we’re automatic from deep so a better balance down low or on the mid range pop is a good thing for us.

2 Likes

Watching Monmouth vs South Carolina and we should handle South Carolina. Very soft unaggressive team. Also watching MSU and their lack of bigs will hurt them. Would like to see them vs Purdue

I am very happy that my prediction on Bridges is looking true. A lot like GRIII offensively (with higher usage because they need it). Good defender/rebounder though.

Oh gosh, Purdue is going to DESTROY them inside. With Haas and Swanigan inside, they can get out on shooters so as long as Bridges doesn’t get 14 dunks they should be good.

Was at the games last night at the Garden last night… My takeaway is that Indiana is looking like the Big Ten favorite (I know they didn’t play there), but Kansas is legit and that IU win in Hawaii is going to be something to hold their hats on.

MSU had a tough matchup with UK and will get a lot better, but going to need those freshmen to take the next two or three steps. They just don’t have a go-to guy on offense.

Have you been able to see Wisconsin? I know they lost last night @Creighton, but I imagine you weren’t able to catch that game since you were at MSG.

I feel like Wisconsin should bounce back. Creighton is a ranked team they are not a bunch of duds. Until someone finds a way to stop Haas and Swanigan Purdue must be mentioned as well.

Nope, didn’t see the game. Playing on the road early at an underrated Creighton team though, I wouldn’t worry too much about that loss.

1 Like

Michigan state has looked very suspect. Langford should be in our roster. I wonder how much state is missing Carter and schilling. State does have a very deep team.

Kentucky is good but state looked horrible. Kansas hasn’t impressed me like i thought they would. They were my national title pick but I thought Jackson was going to be poy material. He looked good yesterday but isn’t dominating the way I thought he would. I figured we’d get a glimpse of what lebron would have looked like in school. Jackson looks good but not out of this world.

Think about how good duke will be when those frosh return. How deep. Going to be very hard to bet against them after all. My sleeper is gonzaga. This is the year their gonna break their final four drought. Very good team. I have to look at Virginia again too but they have a very good roster as well. Never sleep on unc too. Very interesting year coming up.

Purdue would be another interesting sleeper.

There is definitely potential there in the front court. I am still worried how they will react against some of the better front courts in the league, but the early returns are promising.

I am with you on Purdue. Their front court is beastly.

Bridges is a far better ballhandler with the ability to create his own shot—unlike GRIII (who I usually spend time defending). Last night was a frustration performance. Bridges is the real deal. State’s problems are obviously Nairns, Harris and possibly the middle. I expect that it is only a matter of time before Langford and Winston start.

3 Likes

Did you mean to say that State DOESN’T have a very deep roster?

I disagree that he’s much better as a ballhandler/creator. And through two games, he hasn’t really disproven that.

As far as Kansas, Jackson is a freshman starting his second game. National player of the year would be going way out on a lim. But I do think that by half way through the season there won’t be anyone able to stay in front of him and he will be deadly going to the rack and midrange. If his three point shot comes along (he is not terrible and has good form) then he will be unstoppable in my opinion as he has the handle and athleticism to make plays and dominate.

I thought Kansas has looked real good to this point. Jackson has to remain on the floor as he’s been in foul trouble both games. Kansas has a lot of pieces they’re utilizing even due to big man foul trouble Azibuike came in for Kansas and was a load 6 points 12 boards in 15 minutes. Duke will get better once Tatum/Giles play and take away minutes from Jeter. At some point Frank Jackson will get more minutes as well.

Nairn is a disaster.