Upcoming Season

I think that’s the perspective that people keep forgetting. The staff also had the opportunity to find a grad transfer who filled a greater positional need. They whiffed on that opportunity, though, which is a separate issue.

I’d like for us to beat Purdue in the conference tourney and beat Spike like we beat Indiana and Max last year

2 Likes

This is solely based on just watching the first two games, here is our best lineup.
Pg-Walton
Sg-MAAR
Sf-Irvin
Pf-Wilson
C-Wagner

Simpson, Watson, Robinson, Donnal are the 4 bench players and these 9 are who we got. That said, it makes way more sense to me to bring Robinson off the bench due to Wilson not really being an offensive player. Also, Watson is going to struggle hitting 3s until he gets in a groove and having someone who can hit 3s off the bench is pretty crucial. Wagner is starting and I don’t see that changing all year but he isn’t a great rebounder yet, so another reason to leave Wilson in the starting lineup is that we now have a plus rebounder with Walton/Irvin. I like these 9 players and if Wagner and Wilson continue to improve, we could make a lot of noise in the big ten.

1 Like

Well put! Wilson also helps matchups. He can guard the stretch 4 or traditional PF. Him playing well is a huge bonus.

2 things to keep in mind

1. that was Vanderbilt’s first game under a new coach/new system/different system than most of the key players were recruited into — not too surprising to see Vandy struggle early in the season under those conditions

2. Vanderbilt is a team that woefully underperformed its talent last season and has developed a reputation for lacking mental toughness — when things go sideways it tends to snowball on this group of Vandy players.

Just saying, as good as Marquette’s win appeared in the box score it might have been influenced by its opponent?

Some of the Robinson/Wilson starting decision may also hinge on the Donnal/Wagner starting decision.

I like the idea of an offensive spark coming off the bench, but if Donnal starts at the 5 then Wagner is an offensive spark off the bench?

If the decision were mine, early in games, before a rhythm is established in the game, I would prefer to see more rotations of Donnal with Robinson and Wagner with Wilson. Split the offensive guys and defensive guys to balance the court out.

(Edited note: just saw your later post on the subject. I agree with Wagner/Wilson)

3 Likes

Beilein said today that who plays between DJ and Duncan could depend on the opponent.

Wait and see where Simpson’s game is a month from now. The coaches were adamant they wanted those minutes to go to Simpson. Keeping Spike would have created a conundrum — give Simpson the minutes he needs to develop/adjust to college speed or give the minutes to Spike, the player best suited to help the team on Day 1.

I hope Spike is successful this season. He was good ambassador for the program on and off the court. But I don’t disagree with the coaches decision to move on from Spike and properly develop Simpson (with a higher ceiling come NCAA Tournament time). It may backfire on the coaches, but the logic of the decision is sound.

2 Likes

Yes, he has said the past week or so which one figures more prominently in the game plan could depend on game-by-game matchups. But he also has implied he’ll adjust in-game to give the hot hand more minutes as the game progresses.

Regardless, early in the game while the coaches are figuring out the rhythm of the game, I still like Wagner-Wilson & Donnal-Robinson as early rotation combinations. Wagner and Robinson are defensive liabilities right now so having both on the court makes it tough to hide or hedge protections. And on the flip side, the offense is not going to be run through either Donnal or Wilson so having both on the court makes it easier on the opposing defense to focus on 3 primary options.

Just does not look right

2 Likes

So, this Purdue team is really good.

1 Like

Yeah Purdue looks really really solid. And they are not even projected as the best team in the big ten. I feel it will be a long season for Michigan. I’m taking this as a building year (again). Excited about next season

Are you serious? You need to stop this team has potential to be good. Just do not make stupid comments so early and wait for the season to play out.

2 Likes

Why is stupid to say that we are building this year? Guys like Wagner and DJ are figuring things out. I’m just saying that Purdue really seems to have figured things out already. I’m saying I have high hopes for next year and I see this year as a building experience. I’m not saying we will suck by the middle/end of the season.

Anything even slightly negative will be jumped on here, lol. Don’t worry about it

And anything even slightly positive will be jumped on by some as being unrealistic, blind support for Beilein, etc. Please don’t feed into critics as “victims” Reegs, you’re a much better poster than that.

1 Like

And yet Simpson hasn’t played hardly any minutes and we played D Walt 30 plus minutes in two games with an ankle injury against what should be cupcake teams.

I think that has to be a concern, Walton was ok against IUPUI but he also had issues with his shot, and couldn’t finish inside the arc. Whether that was due to his ankle or just a bad day we will see moving forward. Maybe it’s nothing but with not much time for Watson and Simpson you’re likely not going to get a big frosh contribution for the 3rd straight year. Recruiting is still important especially if Simpson would be thrust into 25+ mpg if Walton had to miss time.

1 Like

I’m not sure Walton ever gets under 35 minutes per game. Key is that he won’t be playing 38,39,40 on most nights. I also think it’s important to bring X along slowly and there’s no need to rush him.

I guess I’m not sure what your definition of a long season is, but I still anticipate Michigan as a 7-10 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Nothing from the first two games changes that outlook, IMO.

If a bunch things fall into place, maybe an outside shot at a 5 or 6 seed — the team remains relatively healthy and Robinson’s shooting returns and Wagner becomes comfortable being at least a replacement level player on the defensive end — but realistically I still see an 8/9 or 7/10 first round NCAA Tourney matchup.