The State of UM Basketball

No… you don’t “earn” bad shots for shooting good shots well. That doesn’t mean you can start heroballing. Use your “hot streak” to draw the defender out and get stuff inside, don’t go even further out.

I was sick to my stomach watching Tyler Cook dominate for stretches in the 2nd half…I was REALLY high on that kid. Don’t understand why we didn’t put the full court press on him and instead ended up with Davis. Those are the type of evaluation errors that are simply unacceptable in my opinion.

2 Likes

Shooting is the paramount skill JB values. Hard to believe they started 4 Frosh ( zero 5 stars ) and beat us.

Probably because they knew we couldnt land him

1 Like

MattD can’t agree more. In fact, JB passed on a heck of a '16 class. Remember we didn’t offer Kyle Guy (believe he camped) because we were for sure getting Battle OR Langford?

Even if you give JB a pass for the Battle drama, he had a ton of chances to get a higher quality wing and ended up with a developmental prospect in Watson. Seth Towns is averaging 12 ppg and shooting 48% (!!!) from 3. He is a perfect fit for JB and we stopped pursuing. Huerter clearly is off to a good start at Maryland, and even Jarron Cumberland from Cinci is off to a better start than Ibi.

I can also list a good handful of PGs we recruited playing much better than X including obviously Cassius and surprisingly Bryce Aiken over at Harvard is averaging 15 ppg.

1 Like

Don’t get me started on Seth Towns, I was probably higher on him than anyone here. I remember going back and forth with Dylan about whether he could play the 3 spot (I said he could).

And today we missed what felt like a LOT of open 3s

Never pushed hard for Amir Coffey when there was an opening to do so.

I Hear what you are saying. I agree with you to an extent. As I reread my comment I can see why would object because i used pretty bad choices of words…I will need to go back to the plays to be sure. But my sense was the context of the situation was one which would result in any of our 5 players chucking something up. None of our players were moving off the ball. No cuts. No attempts at moving to maintain spacing. They were exhausted and it showed. (JB’s fault.) It should be obvious by now that Wilson is a better than average shooter. I am completely cool with Wilson taking that one low percentage 3 in that situation. Because after watching these players for, in some cases, the last 4 years, I find it very easy, unfortunately, to imagine what the alternative probably would have looked like given that specific context. All things considered I actually think DJ did the right thing…He is playing very disciplined ball in general, unlike some of his teammates who struggle with the idea that they are not stars.

Hope Ibi comes around eventually but a complete miss at the wing spot in 16 is what will hold this team back. Will need a contributior on the wing in 18, significantly probably at that. Who else has contributed besides Burke under JB as a frosh? Part of the issue of our team is we very rarely get anything from first year players, top teams get that.

How far off were you in your invaluations of Wilson? What is your excuse?

Actually, I wasn’t. I said he wouldn’t be a contributor until his third season…and here we are Wilson’s third season and he’s finally a contributor. I said at the time that is the problem with essentially signing oversized guards to play the post…the transition cost (AKA time) is simply too great. And to a larger extent, that is the problem with signing developmental projects in general, they hold scholarship spots without producing for 2-3 years and the team is losing in the meanwhile.

“Hate to say it, but my faith in DJ isn’t very high. His motor just isn’t high enough to play in the paint, and his skill level isn’t high enough to play the perimeter. I hope he proves me wrong.”

MattD September, 16, 2016

Sometimes we are right sometimes we are wrong.

That’s fine, I was referring to my original projection when he committed. But I did state the above. But I just have to wonder what the motive is for even bringing DJ Wilson in this conversation…especially with a confrontational tone such as ‘what is your excuse’. I could say what’s the JB lovers excuse for JB now but I’m not in the mood to go back and forth so I’ll take the high road here and say that I think my evaluation resume speaks for itself. I’ve been wrong plenty (Kam Chatman, Dillon Brooks, Vince Edwards to name a few), but overall I’d say that I’m pretty strong with evaluation and frankly almost every one that I bring to the boards attention either ends up with a Michigan offer or becomes a Michigan signee…but I bring it up months and years ahead of time.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out.

You just had to add that to what you originally had!

I did indeed, but I didn’t expand upon it when in light of recent developments, I certainly could have. I’ve tried to come back to the board with good insight after a 3-4 month absence, and in a very appreciative manner considering the great support I’ve received with my injuries (and you personally I thank as well)…just didn’t see the need for his comment. Just really no reason for it.

1 Like

I liked it better without that part!

I will say this, I seen some things from DJ yesterday in practice that I didn’t think he was capable of. It was the first time I’ve seen him take more than 2 dribbles in a scrimmage/game setting in the halfcourt, and while he certainly wasn’t Trey Burke, he was able to find teammates a few times after getting into the paint off the dribble.

In terms of his shot, he still has a very flat shot, but he’s adjusted by releasing the ball a bit earlier which results in a tad more arch, and thus more effective. He still can’t get shoulders up on his shot, but adjusting the release timing has mitigated that issue.

I think DJ’s role may expand from essentially a garbage man in the coming months to designing sets specifically for him going forward.

I get it, but c’mon man, guy throws a jab at me for no good reason…and I’m well within my boundaries to respond in that manner, especially when it’d be hard to dispute me given the past 3 years and the overall trajectory. I think you’d even agree with that.

1 Like

Why would I point out one of your misevaluations (DJ) within the context of you judging the coaching staff for “evaluation errors” that you deemed “unacceptable”?