The State of UM Basketball

From what the players are saying, they were switching on all picks. So theoretically Walton and Wilson were supposed to switch as Pardon set the screen and slipped it. In this video you can see DJ running around cluelessly

1 Like

Thanks for this. Why would we switch on picks so far away from the inbounder? It would take the ball so long to get to someone on the other side of half court that switching seems really unnecessary. Oh well. It was an incredible pass.

3 Likes

Someone who attended the game posted on another forum that Steratore gave Walton the go-ahead to go lineup for the Wagner free throw before then whistling him for the lane violation. Evidently the other ref had already given Mo the ball, but Steratore didnā€™t realize it. Ridiculous if thatā€™s actually the case.

Then again, we benefited from the botched 1-and-1 earlier.

Wilson played the whole game like was floating around doing nothing. Heā€™s a frustrating player. Has a lot of talent but heā€™s too passive. Itā€™s kind of like he has to be goaded into getting in the paint and heā€™s a really poor rebounder for someone with his length and athleticism.

One of the reasons why we have struggled on the road is because Wagner doesnā€™t play well in road games. His home/road splits are pretty substantial.

Home games:
14.9 ppg
61.6% FGā€™s
43.8% 3ā€™s
74.5% FTā€™s
4.1 rebs
12 assts/24 TOā€™s

Away games
9.3 ppg
44.8% FGā€™s
36.4% 3ā€™s
73.5% FTā€™s
5.4 rebs
1 asst/19 TOā€™s

2 Likes

Not sure how u let that happen

A layup full court?

Definitely one hell of a pass. Dj was just flat out lost for no reason. Only one thing to even think about doing in that situation. So frustrating to lose like that. How many times under beilein have we lost that way? 3?

I wAs thinking how great belein had been all day too. His teams donā€™t do well in late game situations often, defensively or offensively. How many times have we had a last shot and not even got a shot off?

When they threw it I started to think the pass was deep and I was like oh shit were gonna get a shot on their end!

Still like our effort today. We just made missed some free throws, and waltons two threes rimmed out , plus the ft debacle.

Walton and Maar were brilliant but each had a pretty tough last 4 minutes. Particularly Walton. Wilson canā€™t keep sleep walking. Not sure why at the very least he canā€™t always be high energy and creating havoc on boards and d. If we are going to make a run his aggression and r edgy has to be there full time.

Liked donnals energy even if he got stripped on same dime. Hope he stays s aggressive and Jesus look to shoot!!! X and Duncan great again minus Duncan lapses on d late.

1 Like

yeah, that was such a ballsy pass.Defensive breakdown aside, I think thatā€™s a tip your hat play more than anything

Win some you lose some. Iā€™m not crushed by this butā€¦

1. Zak three pull at the end I just shook my head
  2. Needed length on the pass. MD isnā€™t going to cut it there. #freeteske
  3. No reason to hug Pardon as close as it appeared we tried to do. Especially when there are screens. Him open for a 20 footer would have been an ideal play. DJ should have sagged off and dropped to protect the rim.

I also would have not worried about sticking tight with the guy in the back court to try and entice them to take the open pass that way.

The last point is funny because thatā€™s basically how Michigan setup for the Evan Turner shot, enticing that short pass and playing deep to take away the long passā€¦ And then:

1 Like

Whoa, the away Assist:TO ratio is crazy. I guess I dont analyze a ton of centerā€™s A:TO ratios, but that seems pretty absurd. @umhoops has said a few times that Mo needs to see his first few shots go in, before he can get locked in, and that seems painfully true. Sure wouldā€™ve been nice if he didnā€™t flunk that dunk.

Moe doesnā€™t really get many assists, so just means that he turns the ball over a lot more.

1 Like

I understand. But 2.2 allows a less hurried pace than 1.7.

With Northwestern switching all screens and McIntosh repeatedly getting switched on Wagner, do you think Michigan should have tried throwing the Ball into the post more? Iā€™m not sure they even tried once. I donā€™t think we do a good job of attacking mismatches and making teams pay for switching a small onto a big or vice versa.

I guess the fear would be that if the defense starts digging down toward Wagner or doubling him, he wonā€™t make the right play because heā€™s not a good passer. He needs to work on that part of his game because if heā€™s going to be the focal point on next yearā€™s offense and you want to post him more, he better be able to make the right play.

Northwestern took away the pick and pop game. I only remember one Wagner three point attempt. The offense was great in the 2nd half but we spent most of the first half unsure of how to attack Northwesternā€™s defensive strategy.

What buzzer beater losses am I forgetting? I have Evan Turner, Wisconsin in 2013, Kentucky in the elite 8 and now last night. It feels like thereā€™s more I canā€™t recall.

Wisconsin had another one in 2011 against us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uet1mUdTHnA