The State of UM Basketball

Yeah, thanks for posting that chart and Walton’s stats, it was all very interesting.

Also by the way. Maar is the man. Guy Has stepped it up big time again. Also is getting some assists and setting guys up. He’s still so key cause he’s the only reliable slasher, along with Walton. I love what he brings, and the overall balance on the floor any give night. Once again we get hot and he’s playing well. Doesn’t even need a heavy workload to be effective. What it be better if he were off the bench? Of course because that means we’d have a very good team. On most teams in college he’s a starter. Hope he embraces the even greater touches next year. Love the idea of him , x, and Mathews hounding perimeter players all over.

Hope belein really makes pushing the tempo and fast breaking a priority all summer. This roster could be a nightmare on the fast break. Particularly with moe and dj. Lots of promise on the fast breAk and defense next year. I’m still predicting our best season since the elite eight finish.

2 Likes

I’ve said it periodically, but MAAR comes up with such big plays that aren’t necessarily memorable but BIG at those moments. A whole lot of “you feel they’re getting momentum and need something” buckets or assists.

Dylan had the Purdue plays called out in Key Plays, which I was happy to see because he deserves so much credit for being that guy a lot this year.

4 Likes

I’ve said it before but MAAR is the epitome of what you want out of your 4 year type role players. For someone with his recruiting profile picked up at the very end of the process he’s done as well as anyone could’ve hoped.

6 Likes

Where the Beilein haters at, eh? It got awfully quiet real fast :wink:

The future was and remains bright. Trust the process. Elite blue blood programs aren’t built overnight. Johnny B is laying the foundation, let the man work!

4 Likes

Bingo and this is my point dating back to his freshman year. He is the guy who comes up with plays when things are going south. Over and over again.

He had a 8 game period or so when he was playing with no confidence and struggling which was shocking to me. He is all about those tough baskets.

1 Like

yes, full-year stats for Walton

He has really developed his shot. The guy is shooting 47% from three in conference play and some of them have come at huge moments.

Nice graph. Pretty much every loss occurred when we did not play defense well enough to hold them at least 10% below their normal efficiency. There are a few wins with bad defense as well: Howard, Texas, Furman, Rutgers.

I really hope donnal wakes up and starts looking to score. He could really make our bench a weapon. He’s always wide open for a three after screening for Derrick or x and he’s a great shooter. If he starts to be aggressive and then also plays with energy and toughness on the glass and d he could be a great big off the bench. This is essential because one or both of our bigs often gets in foul trouble. Usually moe. If you look this is often when we struggle or teams make a move on us. I’d say foul trouble was a big reason we lost in most of our losses. We need Donall to do what we know he can. Makes our offense so dangerous.

1 Like

Plus when he hits a three his overall game seems to pep up. Confidence is an amazing thing.

1 Like

So obviously there was a lot more that went into both games, but after going 11/17 tonight, doesn’t it seem like Minny and NW could’ve been won at the FT line? Nobody’s perfect, and both games were on the road, but those are pretty inopportune times to stumble at something we excel at.

3 Likes

It’s definitely becoming a little bit of a concern. We’re going to be playing close game(s) in the tournament on an even bigger stage.

Frustrating way to lose that bugs me. Mcintosh handed us the game with horrible shots at the end.

Last shot should’ve been for the win or OT.

Then the defense on that play, started with bad strategy. Why was Donnal on the ball? Why not Teske or worst case Moe? Probably doesn’t matter at all with how far back the inbounder was but they didn’t even setup well to begin with

I can live with our center and PF missing, but we NEED Walton to be our rock, who we get the ball to salt away games at the line.

Soooo are we 100% sure we’re in the tournament…

In my opinion, yes. Look at the other resumes while putting Michigan at 9-9 and 19-13 to compare

2 Likes

Anyone else thinking about the defense against that Evan Turner shot? Beilein caught a lot of shit for not putting anyone on the inbounder and not putting any pressure on Turner. Everyone was back defending the long pass. Now he does the opposite and it leads to another loss.

Turner, Gasser, and now this (I think Gasser was full court, at least). There have been other buzzer beaters, but no other full-court plays that I can remember.

I think having a man on the inbounder is the correct decision. I haven’t seen a replay showing exactly what happened to get a Pardon v Walton jump ball situation, so I’m not sure what went wrong. Did we switch on a pick? That seems really unnecessary so far away from the inbounder.

Agreed, although tonight it wasn’t much of a factor because the inbounder just backed up until he wasn’t standing in the painted portion of the court.

I don’t think it’s really possible to tell on any of the replays, unfortunately.