The State of UM Basketball

Beyond the team winning some huge games and getting back into the NCAA picture the most encouraging thing has been the development of Simpson. We obviously will lose a ton when Walton graduates (not so much with Irvin) and so we really need X (and/or Brooks) be ready to produce.

I guess the question is if Simpson will be ready for an increase of minutes to go against what looks to be a very good crop of PGs returning in the B1G.

Who are the great returning PGs in the conference? Iā€™m assuming you are referring to a bunch like Cassius Winston, Jordan Bohannon, Isiah Brown, Teā€™Jon Lucas, Anthony Cowan?

Trimble (assuming he comes back) and Watson are definitely great, but that other group is solid and promising but Iā€™m not sure you really fear them in terms of match-up problems.

For Michigan, the bigger key will be the dropoff from Walton (playing like the best PG in the Big Ten by a wide margin right now) to X more than about any other PGs in the league.

Mason/McIntosh/Bohannon top 3 imo no order.

Forgot about Masonā€¦ I guess you could throw Lyle in there too but inconsistency has been a big issue for him.

Bohannon over someone like Glynn Watson?

Isnā€™t Trimble a junior? Is her already expected to be NBA-bound?

He went from a one-and-done to a four year guy. Maybe Melo disagrees and will declare after this season. Iā€™m guessing heā€™ll be back.

2 Likes

I know Bohannon had a good game against us but he doesnā€™t even crack my top 10 of PGs coming back next year that I would rather have in the league.

Trimble, Cowan, Lyle, McIntosh, Watson, Carsen Edwards, Nate Mason, Corey Sanders, Tony Carr and Shep Garner are all scoring in double figures this season. Iā€™d probably take Cassius Winston over Bohannon too for next year, although Iā€™d say they have had a similar impact this season.

Lots of really great PGs in the Big Ten coming back next year. I think the entire group I listed above is the top tier. Iā€™d put Winston, X, Bohannon in the next group.

When you draw it all out, the PG play does look pretty good. Itā€™s weird though because a lot of those guys play for either bad teams or very complementary roles on their teams. Will be interesting to see how they develop.

2 Likes

Now everyone is all of sudden high on X? lol

1 Like

Thereā€™s now data that is significantly more encouraging. Youā€™re welcome to own that you never wavered, or however youā€™d put it, but people changing their minds is just the logical thing to do, and so is maintaining guarded optimism.

2 games to me is a small sample size, if I were not high on a player. I remember DRā€™s first year when he went on that long streak and it took half the season before I upgraded my perception of his skillset. I get it, though.

1 Like

Iā€™ve stood by the idea that X has to play significant minutes before you can really judge him. Very hard to judge for 3-4 minute spans. Heā€™s going to get an entirely different opportunity next year and weā€™ll see how he handles it.

Obviously people are going to feel better after he plays well in back-to-back games, but itā€™s just tough to say beyond that.

His perimeter shot is obviously a concern, but he has shown some ability to get into the lane and I like his defense. Is Michigan going to play through him next year? I donā€™t see any way, but I think itā€™s feasible that he can play solid minutes and run the team. (And I did before the last two games as well)

The most encouraging thing is he finally seems to be just playing to make a play instead of playing to not make a mistake.

3 Likes

I think heā€™s going to be rather good next year. Kid definitely has age on his side turning 20 a few days ago. Hopefully he can keep improving and being confident. Last 2 games have looked pretty good.

His first step seems to be quicker than I expected. Heā€™s gotten past the defender with relative ease on his recent drives if I remember correctly.

I have full faith Xā€™s 3 point percentage in EYBL is not a mirage. The thing is that I believe he can nail 3 pointers, if they are created for him (catch and shoot) with his feet set, but he isnā€™t going to pull up off the bounce and nail them IMO. So who creates those looks for him next year?

When was the last time Michigan had a team where its two best players were at the 4 and 5?

Ideally the guys that canā€™t shoot as well (X/Matthews) can get into the lane and find guys. But Moe and DJ are both continuing to show growth driving the ball, MAAR can get into the lane but hasnā€™t proven heā€™s a good passer.

Different look for sure, but Iā€™m always more worried about Michigan teams figuring out how to play defense than score.

2 Likes

What teams have made the final 4 without a dynamic perimeter player?

Well I donā€™t think Michigan has a Final Four roster next year. Didnā€™t realize thatā€™s what we were discussing. Iā€™d also be all for a graduate transfer guard or wing who can shoot and create.

1 Like

In a very limited viewing time one thing I like about X is the crispness and directness of his passing. He effectively moves the ball sharply.

Iā€™m curious to see how this translates when he has the ball in his hands and is free flowing playing 30+ minutes. Not worrying about mistakes just playing.

Unfortunately full court up and down opportunities in this offense will be very few and far apart. That is his strength.

Itā€™s the high p/r that will ultimately determine his ceiling in this offense and that is a major unknown at this point.

He is feisty though and that in itself has value in this program. Iā€™m still a doubter but not a hater.