The State of UM Basketball

This team just needs to play with energy at all times. D. Walton has taken over this team over the last five games. Also, as much as I have complained about MAAR, over the last 3 to 4 games he has shot the ball better. Without his recent shooting the offense would be worse what with Irvin’s scoring slump. But the key is going to be consistent defense.

Also like what I saw from X who looked confident on the floor. If he can take the next step from this point may be a springboard to next season.

X gave me some hope for next year. I think he may just be a guy who needs touches/ to get comfortable and it could fall into place for him. I knew that three was going in just by how he was playing the previous 5 minutes .

1 Like

Confidence is a hell of a drug.

1 Like

When are you going to own that evaluating this team right now doesn’t mean much? This team has work to do, but there’s no need to tag yourself into the ring and pick fights with fans who are still soaking up the win.

Will Michigan go undefeated the rest of the way? Nope. So don’t worry, you’ll get your chances yet to reinsert your narratives into the season long discussion. Being a wet blanket on a fan site right now isn’t a good look, you might want to give it 24 hours.

3 Likes

You literally stated that this team wasn’t good enough to beat anybody in the Big Ten by 20 points. Has that happened?

1 Like

…and yet he’s online within 12 hours of last night’s win to play harder defense than Sparty showed last night.

EDIT: Make that within two hours of the end of last night’s win

1 Like

@Tom48160 @hailtoyourvictor @MattR1 Can we drop this or no? Matt was obviously wrong, but we don’t really care about you guys trying to get the last word in across the board.

3 Likes

Good to hear Coach Beilein talking positively about Austin Davis. Paraphrasing but he said Davis has big mitts, can really pass the ball, and has done really well in the weight room. Added Matthews and Davis would really help this team, but at this point he’s not going to blow his redshirt .

3 Likes

Agreed. Very interesting to hear that the coaching staff had very real recent discussions about burning the redshirt.

The same seniors that lost to those same freshmen just 10 days ago.

1 Like

It would be even better if an official ran over him.

2 Likes

Been some talk throughout the site regarding fear of Mo leaving for Germany. I’ve been noticing more and more in JB’s pressers that he talks about Mo “in the Big Ten the next 2 years” a lot (unlike Trey or Nik who he never referenced their upcoming years). Of course I’m reading too much into it, but it sure seems like JB’s confident that Mo plans to finish his career in Ann Arbor (even if that meant NBA after next year).

2 Likes

We’ve heard this kind of puffery about every redshirt bigman including McLimans and Donnal. I’ll believe it when I see it

Wasn’t Max Bielfeldt “unstoppable” in practice several years ago? I mean I don’t doubt that these statements are true, I just think they’re indicative of our post defense, not the player being hyped.

1 Like

Just looking at him on the sidelines, you can tell that he has really slimmed down. We already knew he had great hands and is a pretty good shooter. I have confidence that he will be fine as #3 center next year and eventually #2 and likely the starter at some point.

1 Like

Good point. He also did very little during our blowout win over Indiana. Honestly, he’s probably our fifth or sixth best offensive option at this point behind Walton, Wagner, MAAR/Wilson, and Robinson.

I’m probably gonna get blasted for this but I’ve felt this way for about two years. At least when it comes to shooting or trying to score I prefer almost every guy you name more. Now trying to create for others is another story. I think we look much better with zak shooting 6-8 shots a game. . Pretty much open threes or going to the rim. Then having him be our utility guy. Solid d, assist, boards ect. I always felt this was the best role for him and our roster. Running sets for him though, not wise imo or rarely. Let Walton, moe, dj get the lions share along with maar and Duncan

2 Likes

I would like to announce how pleased I am with Xavier Simpson.
He is a playmaker offensively and defensively. I love when he comes into the game. He’s gonna make something happen. Plays will be made.
Simpson, Brooks, and DeJulius are going to be a dynamic set of pg’s

1 Like

I was watching how the defender’s played him and they stayed pretty far off, as they are not worried about his shot at this point. Despite that he showed the ability to get into the paint and make some things happen. If his shot comes around he could become dangerous. Despite his stature (5’10" w/o shoes) he has good length (6’3") to compensate.

It’ll be interesting to see how many 3 FGA/game X racks up, next year, without Walton and Zak taking up a bunch of attempts and CM not looking like a great 3pt option. Zak being the exception, JB has proved to be an elite shooting coach AND JB loves him some 3 ball.

1 Like