Squad 100 moving on to 101

What does “too clean” mean? Any examples? If MSU is offering money, it’s not enough. Izzo has struck out in Chicago time and again.

There’s so much talent in Chicago it would be foolish to ignore it.

Duke doesn’t really have Chicago on lock. Kansas has gotten their fair share with Collins, Arthur, Alexander. Calipari has gotten his share with Rose, Davis, Ulis. Izzo got a big one with Shannon Brown. If Beilein wanted to use prior connections THJr father went to high school in Chicago I am sure Hardaway could have helped Beilein. That would go against Beilein’s morale compass though.

1 Like

Pratt, you constantly and categorically diss players in the face of all the evidence; it’s crazy. To say that Gardner simply sucked in the face of those stats is ludicrous. Clearly the guy DID play that well for a long stretch, no ifs ands or buts. How can you not take into account his injuries and the battering he took, that these just might have gotten into his head finally and undone him? Done a terrible disservice by Hoke and Co.

1 Like

Because he broke the cardinal rule of a QB over and over again!! He also couldn’t read a defense and make the right checks which allowed defenses to tee off on him. He never stepped into the pocket to deliver a pass something done by any good QB in America.

And like I said this is a basketball forum I’ll gladly discuss this on a football forum not named Mgoblog. Come on over to www.gbmwolverine.com if you want to continue.

I’m just curious would it work if I said JB was doing a great disservice to Walton and Irvin to blame their struggles?

You can read the rest of the post on mgoblog for all the supposed info. But yeah, it’s not from me. I have no first-hand knowledge. Although I would imagine that IF MSU is offering money, they do not have quite the level of resources to offer as Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, etc.

That looks about right to me and I agree there are other candidates more likely to transfer than DJ at this point given that he already sat out a year.

1 Like
1 Like

It was refreshing to hear that this summer, defense will be a priority. Was beginning to wonder if that was ever going to happen.

Here are some more notes and quotes from that interview this morning:

Dylan your last sentence in that article jumped out at me. We had 10.3% of our shots blocked? That seems extremely high, do you know how that ranks to other teams?

Should say 10.3% of two-point attempts. And it ranks 283rd nationally.

I was disappointed to hear Coach Belein say in the interview that they had a “good year.” They didn’t finish in the top half of the conference and they lost in the first round. By what metric was that a good year?

1 Like

Considering the injuries he had to his seniors (2) and the strain it cause depth wise I would consider this season a success also. You have to give him some sort of pass for this year. Next year though with the new recruits coming and a seasoned roster its time to coach’ em up and be in the top 3.

1 Like

Give him a pass, sure. But to call it a good season makes zero sense to me, injuries or not.

Not trying to argue with you, but if we had beaten Notre Dame and then lost to SFA…would that have allowed JB to call it good - since they didn’t lose in the first round? It’s just such a relative term, much like “average”, “great”, “elite”, “disappointed”, etc.

I’d say it was a good season under the circumstances, but does not meet his own program expectations (or most of ours) on a broader scope.

This is a really slippery slope, but agree that its somewhat up to interpretation. If you asked me before the season if 23W would be good enough for me if I knew Caris was gone from the B1G on, and Spike for more than that I’d probably say yes.

If I selectively watch our games against Iowa at home, and the ND game (lets just say those two), and I watch the decision making of our two soon-to-be senior leaders, I say that we left some opportunities on the table.

We will always be limited on talent relative to higher profile teams. What is hard to walk away feeling good about is poor decision making and execution. Iowa we had to play our best game (at least it felt that way at the time), and laid a huge egg against an ice cold, reeling team. ND honestly is just as dysfunctional as we are, but we couldn’t do the boring fundamental things that you should at least be able to expect at a minimum out of a smart, well coached team (think Ivy league), and our best players go 8-29 against one of the worst defenses in the country?

I will give him a pass, my feelings for his style aside, but this team needs to have their act together next year b/c talent (6 top 100 players) and lack of experience (SR and JR across most rotation slots) won’t be an excuse.

2 Likes

JVS I’m with you on the excuse train. The excuses are officially dead. This includes if someone gets injuried next year.

1 Like

JB will have mostly Jr.'s and Sr.'s in his rotation next year. I liked that he acknowledge the issue of defense especially one on one. Those constant blow by’s were frustrating to watch and especially on the base line where no help can come. He needs to put on his best defensive coaching hat this off season have at it. This is do or die time for Aubrey Dawkins, Doyle and even Donnal who I still think is a very soft player.

Sez prattd. I’m with JVS–tell me we lose Caris and Spike and win 23 in October and I would have said, wow, way to hang in; not bad. But they really crapped the bed in some of the losses, and were never a fluid or entertaining team–in some ways they were worse than their record shows. Looking forward to improvements next year, and Beilein getting fired in 2021 if things don’t significantly improve.

:slight_smile: