Ray McCallum out at U-D; Bacari Alexander a candidate?

I didn’t want to believe it because I didn’t think he would mesh well with Beilein, but I was talking to a few people about Marlon Williamson, and I have reason to believe he is also being considered for the position. If both Val and BA leave, I don’t think Beilein could do much better than Saddi and Marlon.

2 Likes

Absolutely he does.

Val is most definitely throwing his name out there. He isn’t as anxious to bounce as BA was, but he is exploring the market.

I’d be curious to see if BA / Val run Beilein’s offense or something else.

Not from mpbear. Ever! That would be ridiculous! Boy, I’ve tried so hard to stay away from here, but when you’ve got a guy who loves to hate on our coach, well…just couldn’t stay away. By the way Oklahoma is horrible and Lon must be the worst coach in basketball! LOL Seriously, it happens. They’re college kids, for heaven’s sake. Well, I guess Buddy isn’t anymore. I mean how bad could a player be!?! LOL! Yeah, he’ll take those sentiments all the way to the bank, after he loads up his Brinks truck! OK, time to hear some coachspeak from Roy Williams and then settle down to see who’ll play that juggernaut that just lost to that piece of crap Oklahoma, who, wait for it…beat them by 23 earlier in the year. I’m serious, it happens. They’re college KIDS. Best time of the year! Oh, just to stay on topic, I love Bacari. I would hate to lose him from our staff, although I know we will, but I wish him all the best. Hmmm, nice branch on the Beilein coaching tree! Couldn’t resist.

1 Like

Beilein’s coaching tree at the D1 level goes as follows:

Jeff Neubauer - head coach at Fordham (asst w/him at Richmond and WVU) - previously the head coach at Eastern Kentucky
Jerry Dunn - head coach at Tuskegee (w/him at WVU and UM) - former head coach at Penn State before working w/Beilein
Matt Brown - was head coach at UMKC (w/him at Richmond and WVU) - not sure what he is doing now
Mike Maker - head coach at Marist (was w/him at WVU) - previously head coach at Williams College
John Mahoney - head coach of Prep team at IMG Academy

Has a few other coaches at the D3 level that were his assistants at Canisius and Richmond including Kevin Broderick at Nazareth, Phil Seymour at Fredonia State (was head women’s coach at Providence), and there might be a few others that I am missing.

2 Likes

They would be silly not to incorporate aspects of it. The spacing it creates is as good as it gets.

I can’t see Bacari ignoring back to the basket options though.

Don’t post drunk.

Thank you hoops4shire.

Interesting stuff on the Beilein tree. The guys with expansive coaching trees tend to be the ones who’ve been to Final Fours, so it stands to reason that Beilein’s is only now starting to spread out a bit, despite how long he’s been in the game.

1 Like

Talk that Jermaine Jackson may have the inside track on this job.

Why was he let go by Mt Clemens? They won a lot while he was there. I know he brought in kids from his academy, which caused a rule change, and supposedly fudged his son’s numbers a bit to give him a better shot at postseason accolades but that is all I can see from a couple articles.

Well all of McCallum’s assistants were let go except for Jackson…

So McCallum 2.0?

FWIW Lavall Jordan and Tracy Webster appear to be finalists for the Milwaukee job and both interviewed yesterday. Goodman saying Webster “picking up steam”. Webster is a UWM alum, but if he says no I think Jordan is gone.

Didn’t Webster go to Wisconsin?

Izzo’s coaching tree. Crean and Gregory come to mind, and the were early in Izzo’s tenure. Garland went to Cleveland State, where he was a bust, and Izzo took him back. Stephens has been there from the get-go. Fife came in a few years ago, IIRC. Mark Montgomery at NIU, I believe. Am I forgetting anyone?

Jim Boylen
Stan Heath
Stan Joplin
Doug Wojcik

That would probably be the end of it after what you mentioned

It’s been reported that he went to Milwaukee. HIs bio clearly states he went to Madison.

I’ve been a season ticket holder since 2004 when Amaker was there. Right now, I think our “d” sucks because we have guys that are too skinny and have 0 toughness. At times under Beilein, I’ve seen some pretty good defense. My experience is that defense has as much to do with the individual makeup of each player rather than coaching. I think you need players who want to stop someone and have the toughness/strength to do it. There isn’t much to coach on “d” other than positioning, switching/communicating, and making sure that when Team A runs this set, pg, you need to do this, etc…When you’re playing man to man, you stay in front of your guy. A lot of our guys got beat last year 1on 1. To me, Beilein is culpable because he recruited these guys, but not because it’s not coached in practice. I do think he needs to take a long, hard look at his recruiting and start emphasizing it more on the recruiting trail rather than in practice.