Rank the '17 recruits in order of preference

1. Bowen
  2. Wilkes
  3. Jackson
  4. Smith
  5. Cain
  6. Eastern
  7. Young

And I would definitely take Smith or Cain right now… Things can change between now and spring… take one bird in the hand and keep recruiting the unlikely 5 stars in case a spot opens

I would take the first to drop…and technically wrap up the class by fall. And then continue to recruit Wilkes and Bowen hard in case of attrition.

Very interesting to see Cain’s top 4 be announced with Smith’s visit only a week away…Judging by that top 4…gotta think its us or Marquette at the moment…

1 Like
  1. Bowen
    2a) Wilkes
    2b) Jackson
    ------- all 3 can jump in and, if not start from Day 1, at least make the rotation significantly better from Day1

2. Eastern — Intrigued by his size/skills; think he’d be a contributor in the rotation Day1 & and a potential starter in '18-19

5a) Cain
5b) Smith
---- doubt either can factor in the rotation for '17-18, but both have upside as system players for '18-19 and beyond

After that I’d be tempted to bank the scholarship and look at the transfer wire this spring

3 Likes

I think after adding livers that eastern could be the sleeper move skill set wise. I hope we really pursue him hard still.

1 Like

I don’t know if Eastern shoots well enough to get in the rotation right off the bat. He only shot 20% from 3. Maybe as a backup point though.

The way Eastern can pass and facilitate he would be the ideal addition with all the shooters he’d be surrounded with.

Unfortunately he is not a realistic option for us going forward. That ship has likely sailed.

1 Like

Of the second tier guys Eastern is the player I would most want to add by a wide margin.

How do Class of '17 targets like Bowen, Jackson, Eastern & Cain compare to Class of '18 targets like Johns, Carmody, Ryan, Hunter?

I’m presuming there’s agreement that Bowen/Jackson are definite takes if you can get them.

So the real question becomes if UM doesn’t snag Bowen/Jackson would you rather have:
1 of Cain/Eastern
OR
3 of the 2018 targets

Think that’s a good way to look at it @YostsGhosts.

If Michigan holds with four in this class it would mean that the '16 and '17 groups probably both are 4 man groups with a redshirt big man joining this class and Matthews joining last year’s class.

I would almost lump Nojel into the group with Jackson/Bowen honestly, think his ability with the ball would fit in great. Just not sure it is that realistic given his desire to be recruited specifically as a PG.

I agree on Eastern. Would love a little Harbaugh style competition sales pitch: come here and be our pg, we’ll make Eli or x move when you earn it. He might not like that though.

What’s the consensus? After seeing the list of some people nobody had Livers higher than 5th. If this is the end of 17 and the preference of the recruits on the board is this good enough to win championships?

Considering the top 3 were almost unanimously the low chance 5 stars I don’t think 5th is bad at all.

Talking Poole, Brooks, Livers & Matthews as a transfer. I think Poole & Matthews can be starters on B1G title caliber teams, but probably not the “lead attraction.” Brooks & Livers, IMO, can definitely be 8-man rotational players for a B1G title caliber team, but they need to develop “above current projection” to be starter level for a B1G title caliber team.

Didn’t you really like Livers?

Your opinion of people sure change with whether or not they are Michigan players.

Dawkins, livers… Who next?

2 Likes

I like Livers I am just worried if he’s insulated enough from having to play large minutes early on. Nobody knows what the 4 position really looks like next year if Duncan or DJ can’t play the position and guard other 4s. Under the scenario of the following 2 not being able to guard 4s can Livers come in and play 30 mpg? Or will they still try and play Duncan and DJ there?

Dawkins is for another thread.

1 Like

Just reading tea leaves, I would worry more about Livers being able to even crack the rotation next year.

For '17-18 conservatively project MAAR around 30-32mpg and Robinson around 27-30mpg. Matthews is more of a wild card but conservatively project around 22-27mpg. That only leaves about 35-38mpg for the bench to fill at the 2-3-4 spots with Poole (or potentially an emerging Watson) likely to nab at least 15-17mpg and a 2PG lineup of Simpson/Brooks potentially eating up another 3-5mpg… Livers then is in a battle with Wilson for maybe 20mpg (with 4th year Wilson the odds-on favorite over 1st year Livers in that projected battle right now)

Livers sophomore year is a different story, but if — yes I know it’s a big if — but if UM snags a commitment from Johns, there’s a better-than-even chance that Johns starts ahead of Livers

Right. You wanted him until we got him and now you don’t. Lol

So it’s not ok to want Cain and you would rather have them taken him over Brooks?

what are you talking about

2 Likes

I am talking about the perspective of liking Livers if he was with a more highly touted group of recruits. If they had a top 50-75 guy instead of Brooks to go with Poole taking a guy like Livers would be fine.

Put it this way if we were to have a rank the 17 recruits in order of preference before Brooks committed he would been farther down the list than Livers. That sounds like Michigan is missing out on a lot of talent.