Rank the '17 recruits in order of preference

I get the argument that we don’t have a super in this class. I don’t get the argument that Livers should be downgraded because he isn’t with a group of top 50-75 recruits. Per espn, Poole is in the top 50-75 group you’re talking about, as was Charles Matthews who, while he is not technically in this class, is clearly a newcomer and part of any analysis of talent infusion, as is Livers. Brooks is not–that said, neither is Cain, who you talk above about preferring to Brooks.

6 Likes

If I understand Yosts question right then I would say the only one of our current targets for 2017 I would want to add are the 5 stars or Eastern–partially because I am more enthusiastic about the 2018 target and it is likely a lot more good targets will emerge in 18. I never understood the obsession with Cain. I suppose it depends on which positions a person is most nervous about. I feel nervous about what I perceive as a lack of pg/ lead guard skill depth. I feel very good about 3 and 4 spots. I like Livers and I believe in DJ too. I also think playing small there might be a viable option too.

1 Like

Brooks fills a clear need on the '17-18 roster (back-up PG), while Cain would just be additional depth (behind MAAR, Robinson, Matthews, Poole, Wilson, Livers, Watson for time in the 2-3-4 spot rotation).

So it’s not an either/or comparison; Brooks did not take Cain’s scholarship spot. Brooks took a scholarship spot that was set aside for a PG.

You can argue that Brooks took Eastern’s scholarship slot, if you’d like. You can potentially argue that Livers took Cain’s scholarship slot, if you’d like. But Brooks had no impact on the staff’s decision toward recruiting other wings

Right because I thought they needed a 2/3 to go with Matthews/Poole I am not as confident as some are in Watson. Overall this class seems to be an improvement over the past couple years but not at the level of contending for championships and playing in April.

Bingo.

I just find it weird that someone can go on record as really liking some (Livers) and then once that player commits to Michigan that person can start criticizing the signing.

It’d be like saying someone plays terrible defense when he played for Michigan and once he transfers insist his defense wasn’t terrible.

It’s like some posters have a bias against anything Michigan. Hmmmmm.

3 Likes

Another well intended thread gone to hell.

6 Likes

Livers… Brooks… both defensible takes given the situation we were in. Both may work out great, both may have issues or take time to make an impact.

While I’m usually laser focused on recruiting, I think this is a pretty good core for 17 and if they can get incrementally better in 2018, 19, etc we CAN be playing in April with a group of this type IF…

… performance on the court improves – judgement, fundamentals, defense, urgency, shot selection, etc. I think if we take care of these things the incrementally higher bar will actually be more attainable than trying to get what we have gotten in 17 with the performance of the last two years.

2 Likes

It seems like a very solid core and I would not be surprised if some potential star recruits, down the road, envision themselves as that added piece that turns this group from a solid team to an excellent team–so I think we are in a very good position.

Can there not be a differentiation between liking a kid and not believing he will elevate the team to a championship standard? You’re all about the “GOTCHA” game. With you it’s either black or white never any shades of grey. No bias at all just think the standard should be a lot higher. Like I said I don’t mind Livers he’s anywhere from a top 100 kid to a 3 star that’s a wide range and far from a top 40-50 guy.

1 Like

So a few weeks ago when you were talking about how much you liked Livers in a recruiting thread, you were talking about Saginaw Valley recruiting?

3 Likes

I like the Livers pick up. He is probably more of a combo forward than Young. If DJ is going to be here and productive I can see the depth for the 4. I still see the positives of taking Cain who is probably more of a three whose skills seem to be better than Livers and DJ’'s and for me I think could grow into another shot maker.

I would like to see a 5* just like everyone else, but after Duncan leaves who are the shooters besides Poole. Matthews, Watson, DJ,? I think we need another wing who can handle some and knock down 3’s.

Ding ding ding. You win again you solved the puzzle. What would this board do without your in depth gotcha game of trying to pin people down and bring up posts from 7 months ago. You’re a special kind of guy and you should cherish that ability of mocking people especially individuals like MattD who bring a good service to this board.

2 Likes
  1. Bowen
  2. Jackson
  3. Eastern
    large gap
  4. Cain

I’m fine with Cain, but I think I’d rather us bank the scholarship for the 2018 class if we can’t get any of the first 3.

3 Likes

We don’t want Cain. He will take up a scholarship and be a career backup. A song as Matthews is here, he’s starting. Cain would have to gain 40lbs to play the 4. Let’s go for Bowen or Jackson or just keep it until '18.

1 Like

I’m in the middle on that, but I’d probably lean towards your side. I really like some of the '18 guys we’re after.

My list is
Bowen
Jackson
Reclassify donnal
Eastern
Cain

2 Likes

That’s a great one!

I would love to have Bowen or Jackson. Not Holding my breath. Also, in what world is Bowen playing the 4. I don’t see that at all.

Jackson would defend 4. Bowen the 3. Cain the 3. Bowen is MUCH better than Cain. We should wait for one of the 5 stars because their are better 3s in '18 we could get instead of wasting a scholarship on Cain when he isn’t going to play.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/espninsider/status/768162981796544512

He’s referencing Michigan State. Unfortunately.