Potential Transfer Targets (Summer 2016)

Indiana needs a pg to, would probably be a good sell compared to our crowded back court in 2017. Not sure who Hoosiers have/will have.

Indiana has Josh Newkirk, a transfer from Pitt, waiting to play the point for the next few years. I wouldnā€™t be completely shocked if Crean goes after Thornton though.

Saw that Cane Broome committed to Cincinnati. Although looked pretty good, I am not sure he was a good fit based on skill set and size for Michigan

See I disagree. Was he small maybe, but like I and another poster stated he had a lot of Russ smith in him. I think heā€™s the exact type of guard we needed. We would have had to play small sometimes, he was more a sg in a pg body. But he appeared to be a scrappy defender along with a high level ability to slash/get to the rack and most important get to the free throw line. He appeared to have that east coast game coach b described for maar.

Thatā€™s the type of guards I like and I think are most important. For us I think itā€™s very important. We complain about maar as the only one with this ability. He actually doesnā€™t draw fouls to much either for such a slasher. X appears to have that ability too, so I guess maar and x will be a nice tandem for going to the rim something weā€™ve lacked since Burke, and Jordan is both a shooter and slasher so maybe that skill set will finally be covered and we wonā€™t need him,but I know cane would have been HUGE the last two years.

He fits the cincy mold. Cumberland and broome will give cincy two good slashers. I believe we play them too in the home And home so weā€™ll get to see what we missed on both up close and personal. Iā€™m predicting Broomes numbers and game will translSte and that heā€™ll be a big time scorer in the AAC. 25 a game no , but 15 or 16 is very reasonable and I look forward to watching him.

I was not that high on him either. He didnā€™t fit our highest priority need and would have to sit out a year. I am hoping we can do much better with the open spot, even if we bank it for 2017 to take a top kid.

Now all I really want is a big transfer though. A decommit from Justin Jackson or a huge transfer like thorton.

The idea of thorton I canā€™t get out of my head because he really liked us before obviously and his uncle said something about the pick and roll. He must have known this about our offense and it caused him to be very interested.

Also heā€™s clearly sour and feels betrayed and lied to so he will be looking for a coach whoā€™s very trustworthy and honest. Ring a bell to anyone. I wish beilein or someone picked up the phone immediately and made this a priority once it came to light for our newly opened scholarship. Good luck okonoboh is another highly rated unlv guy out there. Top 100 kid from Baltimore on the loose to. Long story short lots of former and current high rated kids floating about unsigned letā€™s see one of them replace Aubrey. Rankings might not mean everything but a lot of the time theyā€™re a nice ball park,so letā€™s please make a splash and build some momentum in recruiting here and sign a nice player and shrug off this bad luck and close misses that haunted us the last two years

Just based on the Mark Edwards tweets, Iā€™m curious what Duke lied about. He said they begged his nephew, which I absolutely believe, to come just for an opportunity. Seems like he had the opportunity. Must be more to the story and I wonder what they lied about. Like @umhoops said, he wasnā€™t efficient. I donā€™t think Michigan will get involved with Thornton, but for it to happen, I think you need (1) buy in from Simpson and Poole and (2) Thornton to clearly understand that nothing is guaranteed and he will have to battle for playing time and depending how that battle plays out, he could be Simpsonā€™s backup for his career. So I donā€™t think itā€™s happening and heā€™ll probably head to Kentucky or something because theyā€™ll probably beg too and sounds like he canā€™t resist begging. Personally I donā€™t know what they should do with the open scholarship but would be fine with that kid Mullins from Columbia. Would only tie up scholarship for one year and would be a safeguard in case Ibi isnā€™t ready and we need the guard depth.

USC the heavy favorite for Thornton

Good place for him, made the tourney this year, guard friendly offense, close to home and a coach that wants to get them up and down the court.

Sucks to hear, is that just speculation or has there been talk of usc and or were they heavily involved before.

Hoping we start to hear some graduate transfers visiting michigan soon. They really could use another guard/wing. Or a true stretch 4 to slide Irvin down and make him the other wing that they need.

1 Like

You know, I wouldnā€™t be shocked if they left the spot open. U-M only plays 8 guys anyway, and they might figure they already have their 8 (2 bigs, 2 PGs, MAAR, Robinson, Irvin and Chatman). That may be expecting too much of Chatman, but if a guy isnā€™t ready to join the rotation as a junior, it stands to reason that both sides would want to move on.

Mullins would be a perfect combo G to bring in for a year.

If they left the spot open, I would hope every poster on here would be outraged.

3 Likes

Save your outrage for bigger stuff, Bear.

Depends on whether they find the right player. If not, give the schollie to a walk-on for a year.

Pretty sure heā€™s talking Spike.

Unless they can get a really good grad transfer at a position of need or a top 2016 guy, I would hope they leave it open for 2017. Or, give it to Spike, if he is healthy.

I would not be outraged if it didnā€™t go to Spike. Is Spike going to be healthy enough to be the old Spike? Is Spike willing to play a very reduced role or would he rather go somewhere where he can be a significant contributor? Itā€™s not all Beilein. What is Spike looking for?

1 Like