Potential Transfer Targets (Summer 2016)

Off* so let’s go kostas.

@slyboogie2: You know that there’s an edit button, right?

2 Likes

Who is this Kostas?

No I did not. I can edit it after posting?

A little bit off topic but does anyone know how the visit went for Grant Mullins?

1 Like

Still there. I believe he leaves on Friday.

Will Mullins get a chance to workout with the team while here? Isn’t that usually standard on a longer visit like this one?

If we really want him he should hang with Andrew Dakich. That guy is the life of the party and will def bring in a commit hahahha

Any Alec Peters news?

MAAR’s minutes do not need to be reduced. He shot fine from three last year. He shot 48% from the floor which is really good and efficient for a two guard. You don’t take minutes away from a your best defender when he is that efficient on offense.

Since we are picking and choosing what stats to use:

-We should bench Duncan Robinson because he shot 35% from three in conference play and if he isn’t shooting 40% + he shouldn’t be starting because how bad he is on defense.

-Grant Mullins shot 26% from three in conference play his freshman year and 20% from three in conference play his junior year.

MAAR isn’t a liability on offense. Even with his average three point shooting, he still is an incredibly efficient scorer.

1 Like

I think you’re underestimating Mullins. There is no reason to believe he wouldn’t be as good as Spike Albrecht. Spike would have probably put up Mullins-like numbers in the Ivy League and Mullins will probably put up Spike-like numbers in the Big Ten. They are pretty even IMO with the difference being Mullins is a combo guard (PG/SG) while Spike plays PG.

1 Like

What type of numbers did Mullins put up against power conference teams in his career?

That is an interesting stat on Mullins. Anybody have theories why he shot so poorly in conference those years?

It doesn’t sound like we are that far apart in our assessments actually, Hail. My theory is that Walton (some of the time) could play better off the ball with someone (spike?) creating catch and shoot opportunities for him. That puts 2 6 footers on the floor together but Walton rebounds like he is 6’6". I actually don’t see that kind of role as too big of a departure from how Walton has been used when playing alongside Spike, Levert, Stauskas in the past anyway. What do other people think? I know JB experimented with a Spike and Walton lineup before but ican’t remember how it went. Do people think if Walton and Mulins were to be on the floor together that Walton will be running the pick and roll? I suspect Mullins would run it or Irvin. I guess how one answers that question would dictate where the biggest area of need would be.

Amen brother. I actually was for benching Duncan for Aubrey while Duncan shit bad. Aubrey was clearly more consistent and both play weak d song was advocating hard to give aubreyvanother shot. I thought with confidence and minutes he’d shoot very well. Maar needs no time cut. I have no idea where all this is coming from about 'maar. It’s like people aren’t watching the same games.

It is odd that there is such a huge difference in how people perceive MAAR’s play. In my opinion he is dripping with talent that has still not been tapped. Did other people notice that sports commentators toward the end of the season were giving MAAR high praise? I remember Dakich saying something like “he is arguable the best player on the team”. So, it is not just a few kooky fans overestimating what MAAR is capable of…

2 Likes

He only has three career games vs P5 schools:

Freshman year @ Villanova: 14 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists. 4 of 7 shooting, 4 of 6 from three. Columbia actually upset Nova that game, winning on that road 75-57.

Sophomore year @ Michigan St.: 0 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block. 0 of 2 shooting, 0 of 2 from three.

Senior year @ Northwestern: 22 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists. 6 of 10 shooting, 4 of 7 from three.

I posted that video of Columbia vs UC-Irvine in the CIT Championship where Mullins comes up big in the final 7 1/2 minutes to lead Columbia to a win. UC-Irvin is not a P5 school obviously, but probably Northwestern level.

I think the good news with Mullins is that his best skills (passing, shooting) should translate to Big Ten level, and Michigan could use that. That bad news is that Mullins looked bad on defense against mid majors and wasn’t able to take his guys off the dribble. In the Big Ten, he could get abused defensively and most certainly isn’t going to get to the rim very often.

1 Like

I touched on this a little bit earlier in the thread, but that is what I’m thinking. I think Walton and MAAR are both deserving of 30mpg. That leaves 20mpg at the 1 and 2. If X and Mullins prove to be deserving of more than 20mpg combined, I think we see lineups where MAAR plays the 3. It will come down to who is more deserving of minutes between X/Mullins/Chatman/Wilson for the 70mpg available at 1-4 (assuming the “big 3” get 30mpg each) IMO.

I certainly think Mullins would be better setting up the offense and Walton playing off ball in half-court sets. He is a very good passer (would be the best on the team IMO) and doesn’t ever over dribble. I think Mullins would really play within the offense. When you have a guard like MAAR shooting at 48% from the field, he really should be taking more than 7 shots per game.

Walton shot 36.2% from the field in conference play and was taking 10.9 shots per game.
Robinson shot 39.6% from the field in conference play and was taking 8.6 shots per game.
Irvin shot 40.6% from the field in conference play and was taking 11.8 shots per game.

MAAR shot 48.1% from the field in conference play and was taking 7.4 shots per game.

Now efficiency usually goes down as usage goes up, but at the same time the numbers above are alarming. If Walton and Irvin can’t learn to defer more at times, then getting a pass-first guy that plays within the offense could be good for all three of them.

Okay, Sly, time to start using that edit function! :slight_smile:

1 Like