Potential grad transfer additions

While Alstork is the best player available, Daniel may be the best fit.

Alstork wants the NBA so who knows how he fits chemistry-wise on the court and the playing time he’s looking for. If he’s ok with everything then he’s the best IMO.

Daniel on the other hand, seems perfect to compete with X and most likely settle in as a big bench player role. His fit seems perfect for this team next year.

Alstork is a better shooter and passer. Plus, at 6’4", he could play multiple positions. Daniels gets to the line quite a bit, but isn’t a good shooter.

I’d take either but I’d prefer Alstork because of his higher assist rate and versatility. He played in a better conference too. Nothing we know that’ll make him a question mark regarding role. He had a lower usage rate his sophomore season, so presumably he doesn’t have to need to be the only go to player to produce.

3 Likes

I really, really like him to and thus far I think he’s the best of the three. That said I really like both. Cams a typical belein guy and although we need another shooter I wonder if he has enough shot creation in his game. We may need the other twos creativity and ball handling more.

I’d love any of the three though and if any one of them come we’d have an array of talent. Deepest roster I can remember for sure. Beleins roster management is working out well.

Oh absolutely! 100% agree. My only point is Daniel seems like a perfect split minutes with X or great backup guy.

Alstork is the better player and better get. I just have a small reservation on his role should he come here. Would he be okay maybe not starting? Minutes would still be there but is he also okay being the third or fourth guy on the team too? If yes he’s ok to all that, then yeah absolutely would love him on the team.

Alstork wants the NBA but he’s only going blue if the NBA tells him ‘no thanks.’ That perspective of fitting in doesn’t worry me.

What worries me is an empty scholarship or filling it with a 4 year player just to fill it, and closing off next year’s options.

His production came against low-D1 competition. His one game against PowerConference competition he shot 3-18 (at Penn St).

Add in his position — 2-guard/small wing — and I don’t see where he gets minutes at that position? MAAR/Matthews/Wilson/DRobinson appear poised to cover 90+% of the meaningful minutes at the 2-3-4 spot. That means Alstork would likely compete with Poole/Livers for scraps of rotation opportunities — I don’t see enough of a difference between what Alstork can bring in limited action to what Poole or Livers can bring?

Daniel, also a low-D1 performer, has more potential impact because of his position as a true PG. Simpson is less proven at the “1” than MAAR/Matthews/Wilson/Robinson are at the 2-3-4 slots AND Brooks is a less proven HS performer than Poole or Livers — higher possibility for an “average” performer to contribute at the “1”

2 Likes

Balas is reporting that Daniels isn’t the only point guard we are in on. He says another one will be visiting soon as well

1 Like

Damn who?very intersted. The d would be seeet if some random top 100 2017 was reconsidering or reaching out last second

MAAR and Alstork would be a very good backcourt. And one that could handle most of the ball handling responsibilities. We have better reason to believe that Alstork will be better at PnR next year than Simpson or any of our incoming guards. I don’t think he’d be competing with the wings for minutes. He’d be in the backcourt and compete with MAAR, Poole, Brooks and Simpson. Two best players in that group are probably MAAR and Alstork. He could potentially take some of DRob’s minutes if we go smaller, but I don’t think that’s really a problem for me. Alstork also solves our one obvious question mark next year more than Daniels - creating for others. Horizon is greater than MEAC IMO, so if you question Alstork’s production you absolutely have to questions Daniels’ as well.

The only question mark is on defense against quicker PGs IMO. Alstork/MAAR are probably not quite built to handle it but then you’ve got Simpson on the bench to play bigger minutes in those games.

Who knows what kind of contribution any of the potential grad transfers would make.

But does anyone seek a transfer to become a role player at their perspective new school?

Especially those kids with only one year of eligibility left and NBA aspirations? ( CJ has two years, potentially )

1 Like

Aren’t most grad transfers role players? If a senior has aspirations of playing professionally I would imagine they go pro (here or oversees) to get paid rather than play another year in college.

These three are major usage players. They’re not transferring to play limited minutes.

1 Like

I don’t have access to the article but there’s enough people talking about on Twitter to come up with a pretty good educated guess of Jaaron Simmons from Ohio.

I like Simmons the best out of the Simmons, Alstork, Daniel trio that expressed interest in visiting. Cam Johnson and Simmons would be awesome if Bamba isn’t a thing

If Wilson and/or Wagner leave, we will need a scoring guard. If they both stay, we will need a facilitator to get them the ball. If they leave and Bamba comes here, we will still need a scoring guard because Bamba is not a guy you give the ball to and let him create for himself. It’ll be interesting to see what happens. The most important thing is keeping Wilson and Wagner for one more year. If they both leave and we land Bamba, we wouldn’t be as good as we would be with Wilson and Wagner staying.

Michigan visited Alstork this weekend

2 Likes

I’d like to see more from what I was watching ( which wasn’t much ) I liked the others more. He had good numbers but , has

Please, please land Simmons.

Nah. Simmons is the best of the 3. Any of them will help though. Alstork would be the next in line for me.