Open Practice (11/2/2015)

A little late to the party, but here are my thoughts from all the videos:

-Caris looks great. Expect a big year from him.
-Wilson impressed, nice shot from outside, elbow, very active on both ends, good aggressiveness.
-Walton didn’t do much but looked healthy and quick.
-Wagner showed good shot, activity, etc. Out of control on one drive but like the assertiveness. Big upside.
-Dawkins looked a little slow, maybe the ankle. Looked good until that point but it was pretty early in the practice.
-Robinson’s shot looked good, did seem a touch overwhelmed by speed and length at times.
-Chatman’s shot looked pretty good, had a couple nice passes, good look in the post. Still has to have the game slow down for him just a bit/work on decision making, but better.
-Doyle had a nice jumper, but he looks bothered by length at times.
-Donnal looked okay, just have to wonder if he’ll ever be assertive enough.
-Rahkman looked okay, but I don’t quite get the accolades being tossed his way. He seems definitely a straight two to me. Nice attack instinct, shot looks better, but didn’t see the defensive chops. Didn’t seem like he could keep up with Caris or Walton or the quicker guys. Good guy to have on the team, not a major player. Who knows, though, just one scrimmage.

Well, MAAR was guarding Levert most of the time. When he wasn’t guarding Levert he was guarding Walton and Dawkins mostly. For contrast, when Robinson was guarding Chatman, Chatman chewed Robinson up.

So as a heads up, there is a secret open practice that only members of the Maize Rage who have attended enough meetings are invited to. I will be going if I have time, so I’ll have a brief report if I go.

I re watched the practice video several times only to track specific players. I suspect there is a real battle for playing time between Dawkins, Robinson, Donnal (blue team) and MAAR, Chatman, and Doyle (yellow team). I also suspect JB is placing those players on the yellow team to motivate them. Based upon the practice video I would take those three from the yellow team over those three from the blue team. I would rank their performances in this order: MAAR, Chatman, Doyle, Donnal, Dawkins, Robinson. Probably the most controversial part about that ordering is my placement of Robinson as last. I just don’t see how he is going to get playing time before MAAR and Chatman in particular. Anybody else agree?

I re watched the practice video several times only to track specific players. I suspect there is a real battle for playing time between Dawkins, Robinson, Donnal (blue team) and MAAR, Chatman, and Doyle (yellow team). I also suspect JB is placing those players on the yellow team to motivate them. Based upon the practice video I would take those three from the yellow team over those three from the blue team. I would rank their performances in this order: MAAR, Chatman, Doyle, Donnal, Dawkins, Robinson. Probably the most controversial part about that ordering is my placement of Robinson as last. I just don't see how he is going to get playing time before MAAR and Chatman in particular. Anybody else agree?

I don’t disagree aside from having Dawkins behind Donnal. I know Dawkins didn’t show much, but he was hyped in the offseason, and he did tweak his ankle in the practice relatively early on. I know I’d play cautiously/tentatively instead of risking re-injuring it this close to the season.

I suppose ranking Dawkins second to last is controversial too…I have very high hopes for Dawkins. MAAR and Chatman exceeded my expectations when I re watched the video.

gtfo, I do agree that Dawkins didn’t seem to show as much in the video as at least MAAR. But I guess I’m also saying I’m going to chalk that up to the injury in that one instance. Will be interesting to track going forward.

What you said makes sense. He may have been going easy on his ankle.

I don’t think MAAR and Dawkins are in a battle for minutes. They pretty much play different positions - MAAR the 2, Dawkins the 3 (or 4). I suppose there could be competition in a roundabout way, like if MAAR was just so incredibly good they had to get him on the court and they could move Caris to 3, but I just don’t see it. I also think that Dawkins showed over a fairly long stretch that he brings a lot to the table with shooting, athleticism, height, and pretty good passing/court awareness.

The other two position battles I could buy.

Just one practice, but I’m a little more nervous about the 5 than I was before. I think that is the absolute question mark with respect to the ceiling of this team.

Yep umhoopsfan, I am nervous about the center position too.

Prior to the open practice I thought we were going to see DJ at center. After the open practice, I now believe Doyle and Donnal will be centers and DJ and Chatman will be stretch 4’s. Like you said, the ceiling of the team will hinge on Doyle and Donnal doing their jobs. Positions 1-3 and their backups at each position are rock solid! If the practice was indicative of their improvements then DJ and Chatman will be great as stretch 4’s. if Doyle and Donnal can get it done then this will be an amazing team. Still a question mark…

Yeah, with respect to the four, we have Wilson and Chatman and can also play small with Irvin and Dawkins at the two wings. At the 5 we absolutely have to get something from Doyle, Donnal, Wilson, or Wagner. I’m confident we will – at times. I’m not confident we will consistently. We may, and I certainly hope so, but that’s the big question mark. I know Wilson played mostly the 4 in the scrimmage, but if Doyle and Donnal aren’t bringing it at the 5 I wouldn’t be surprised to see DJ get a chance there too.

Interesting that Dakich fouled at the end, up by 3. I wonder if that is the go-to strategy by Coach Beilein or if that was just Dakich's decision.

Great point. I don’t recall any of our teams ever going for the foul in an actual game but it’s great seeing Beilein consider it given all the great free throw shooters we have.

Was the Maize team (2nd team) coached by Meyer and the Blue Team (1st team) coached by Jordan?

MAAR is in competition with Walton/Spike/LeVert for mins, not Dawkins/Irvin/Robinson/Chatman/Wilson.

MAAR will get time while Spike is still recovering. And even when Spike heels, MAAR could be an instant scoring option and good defender. Might not play 20-25 mins a game but he could get a good 10-15 mins split between PG & SG, especially to start.

Dawkins was slowed because of his ankle, it was apparent in person. From the time he tweaked it until the time he came back in, it took him about 15-20 mins to sit, shoe off, check it out, walk around, hop around, face grimaces ect. He was slowed the rest of the way but glad he came back and it wasn’t serious. He’ll get tons of PT even when Irvin comes back

Dawkins showed me some things off the dribble that he did not do last season. I was impressed and encouraged. Looks like a much better handle

Wolverine3, we have 12 guys that many people around here seem to have pegged as getting significant playing time. Not going to happen. 2 guys will be left out and 2 or 3 more guys will be getting the short end of the stick. I will be interested to see who gets the short end of the stick. Honestly if Dawkins and or Robinson fail to hit 3’s at a very good clip in the first 10 games I would not be surprised at all if they had severely diminished playing time. they need to shoot very very well. If you take 3 point shooting away from their game, their remaining skill set and feel for the game is much weaker, in my opinion, than quite a few players on the roster. Anything is possible if he continues to be a fantastic 3 point shooter. In my mind, that is a big “if” especially since it is not enough to be a good shooter–you need to be better than your teammates who also are good shooters…If the past is any indication, JB will make room for the 8 or so players to get the most playing time. That is probably more true this year then in the past because this is a very versatile team 1-4–meaning multiple players can play multiple positions (1/2,2/3,3/4). I guess I will need to wait and see how it all pans out…

gtfomycourt, I believe that Robinson and Dawkins are two best shooters on the team, by a decent margin. This offense depends on shooters to create space for all other good things to happen. It is others (Irvin, MAAR, Chatman, DJ, etc) who should worry about losing their minutes if their shots are not falling. I just don’t see Dawkins/Robinson not getting good minutes.

gtfomycourt, I believe that Robinson and Dawkins are two best shooters on the team, by a decent margin. This offense depends on shooters to create space for all other good things to happen. It is others (Irvin, MAAR, Chatman, DJ, etc) who should worry about losing their minutes if their shots are not falling. I just don't see Dawkins/Robinson not getting good minutes.

I think it is interesting that you lump Irvin into the group that might lose minutes. I completely agree. Irvin has enough streakyness in his shot that I dont have much confidence that he will be consistent with it. Irvin’s game, to me, is going to head very drastically in one of two directions: 1) His aggression from the end of last year carries over to this year and he can create his own shot and looks to be a potential pro; 2) he resigns himself to being a jump-shooter/3 point threat, his streakyness catches up with him, and better shooters (i.e. Robinson and Dawkins) take most of his minutes. The other 3 members of the “core four” will have their place on the court regardless as they all bring aspects to the game that are irreplaceable otherwise

I do hope Dawkins can hold onto his outstanding percentage from 3 from last year. I also hope Robinson’s (not as high percentage from Division 3) will translate to division 1. We will see.

At the 3, Dawkins and Robinson have pressure for playing time between each other and coming from the guy, when he returns, who played more than any other player in the big ten last year (Irvin) . theynare also competing against versatile and capable players, who will probably able to actually rebound at a healthy clip at the 4 (DJ and Chatman). As if that was not enough there is the possibility of Levert sliding to the 3 if MAAR performs well. Judging from the practice, MAAR and Chatman have improved greatly. DJ is a force and We all know what Irvin and Levert are capable of. something has to give. We will see.

For whoever is interested:

The late guestavo and I just made a bet. I say that Wilson starts more games against mid-major+ competition at the 4 while Irvin is out than Kam and Duncan. Guestavo is betting on the latter.

IMO, we will go 10-11 deep. Backups may not get tons of PT but I can see 10 players playing every game and able to contribute.

I think the 4 will be competition between Wilson/Chatman/Robinson, the 3 Irvin/Dawkins for the most part. Chatman/Robinson could play 3 but both would have tougher times guarding opposing 3’s.

I just like Dawkins game better then Zak’s. I think he’s a more consistent shooter with higher upside overall as a player.

Walton(30)/Spike(10)/MAAR(10)
LeVert(35)/MAAR(5)
Dawkins(20)/Irvin(20)/Robinson
Wilson(20)/Chatman/Robinson
Doyle(25)/Wagner(10)/Donnal(5)

I think Robinson gets some early time at 3 while Irvin gets back to 100%. MAAR gets time at PG to aid Spikes return. I think the battle behind Wilson between Chatman and Robinson is going to be determined on the court.