Oklahoma State (NCAA Tournament First Round)

We wore white in the opening weekend for 2013 and against Notre Dame last year. I think we wore maize in the 2014 opening weekend. Must be up to the players to decide.

Was it just me or did Moe look totally lost on defense out there today?

That was his worst game in a while. And he looked out of it mentally/emotionally, which is usually the one thing you can guarantee he will bring

Looking lost on D is not a new thing for him. How many minutes did he play today?
Surprised that we won without getting much from him.

19 minutes.
Iā€™m accustomed to him committing dumb fouls, often early, but today he took it to another level. He was so out of sync on switches, letting Forte get to the corner for a three and a couple of other mistakes around that time. I thought weā€™d see more of him since he only got two fouls, but I think his defensive lapses sealed the deal.

I saw before the game that we were 10-0 in white this year (though that almost certainly has something to do with opponent selection). Make that 11-0 now.

Sorry, I donā€™t fly home again until Monday. Weā€™ll still win Sunday though.

3 Likes

I stayed for a good part of the Louisville game, and something that really stood out for me is how intense their full court press defense is. Every single Louisville player is lined up deep on the offense side and tries to deny everyone. Knowing Michigan in the past, that type of defense worries me a little.
Other than that, Louisville wasnā€™t as impressive as I thought. Winnable!

We have to use the back door.

It is winnable but we can beat anyone in the country and I totally believe that. Just not playing that well. We need to communicate better on d and turn up the energy on f and on the boards big time or were in trouble.

I thought vile looked on today. Their pretty damn good and well rounded imo.

In the past, JB teams have been pretty good at breaking the press (see VCU and Lville in 2013) by moving the ball and creating easy buckets. That said, I have noticed that this year they donā€™t really respond to pressure the same way ā€“ Walton always tries to fight through it and set up the half-court offence as usual. I think they will need to punish the press to have any chance of beating the Cards on Sunday. I would love some payback on Pitinoā€¦ canā€™t stand how he brags about being offered the UM job once upon a time. I may not be a huge JB fan but Iā€™m glad we dodged that bullet.

Maybe you guys can enlighten me on something. I donā€™t understand why teams make it such a big deal to give it to the main ball handler even if it becomes a 50/50 pass in the full court press. Michigan for example could have Multiple players getting that first touch while being ā€œlessā€ guarded. Why do teams put so much emphasis on having their PG bringing it up the court? Obvious answer is they are the best ball handlers. But if itā€™s so tough to throw it to them, why not adjust?
Itā€™s been bugging me for a while

1 Like

Pitino would have been amazing are you nuts? Also I never heard that.

Either way belein was a brilliant hire at the time. Program was in a lull and we werenā€™t on the radar. Belein recruits clean and often gets great results out of oveoomed talent. He was the perfect guy to get us out of the basement.

We have a great team this year and future is looking good imo. God I hope bamba is watching. Iā€™m very interested in that last scholarship and how we use it. Same with the 18 class. I love David. Iā€™d love to hit two more home runs.

No one can dispute Pitinoā€™s coaching acumen, but both he (as an individual) and his program have had embarrassing sex scandals over the past few years. They actually self-imposed a postseason ban last year. Hindsight being 20/20, itā€™s probably a good thing that he turned us down.

1 Like

See the issue he had with cheating on his wife is so insignificant in my opinion I already forgot about it. Thatā€™s his families business. I could care less. As long as heā€™s not raping women or cheating and doing whatā€™s best for his players then I donā€™t mind.

From a program stand Point he would have done amazing here imo

It wasnā€™t really the fact that he cheated on his wifeā€“it was the rest of the sordid affair.

Are you just going to gloss over the self-imposed sanctions? To me, that wouldnā€™t have been awesome for our program.

3 Likes

But wasnā€™t that mainly the other guy. I guess I donā€™t believe he knew about recruits getting lap dances and the such.

I would have taken pitino all day. Iā€™m very happy with belein though. He was the right hire for the program at the time and I think we are entering a good period in the history of the program.

Especially coming off the sanctions the Michigan program had just self imposed leading to the Ellerbe & Amaker ā€œlost yearsā€ ā€¦ couldnā€™t add a coach with Pitinoā€™s baggage at that point.

How do you think that restaurant/wife cheating thing would have gone over here? I donā€™t think most UM fans would have been as accepting as you.
Leaders and Best.

2 Likes

Pitino teams have multiple press looks. The speed you up and turn you over is just one of them. He has a slow you down so you have less time to run offense as well. Of course he switches to keep you off balance.

1 Like

Being a coach at a major program, just like being a player, is a 24/7 responsibility. They have a higher standard than average. I donā€™t think Pitino was ever a good fit for Michigan.