Offseason Thread: Duncan Robinson

Probably watched him play 27-28 games at Williams including this time last year being at the Final Four.

What everyone seems to be missing about Robinson is that you are watching tape from a year ago. He has been in the system a year now, if his shot is slow or he is weak at some things, I am sure that the coaches have been working on it. Beilein said that when Dawkins came in, everyone knew he could shoot, but he was too slow in getting his shot off. They have corrected that with Aubrey and will do likewise with Duncan.

What everyone seems to be missing about Robinson is that you are watching tape from a year ago. He has been in the system a year now, if his shot is slow or he is weak at some things, I am sure that the coaches have been working on it. Beilein said that when Dawkins came in, everyone knew he could shoot, but he was too slow in getting his shot off. They have corrected that with Aubrey and will do likewise with Duncan.

Redshirts to get someone “in the system” or “used to the system” have seemingly been hit or miss in Beilein’s tenure in my recent recollection. JMo benefitted greatly, Donnal maybe didn’t benefit as much. Obviously Duncan’s situation is different than those two. I still think I have relatively high hopes for Duncan, and do think there was enough smoke about him being the best shooter in the pre-season to warrant some optimism.

Hit or miss…Zak and Donnal still have a slow release despite being here 2 years

The advantage that Duncan will have is he knows exactly where on the floor he is going to get his shots, the question will be whether he knocks them down or not. He’s not the type to force looks so if he doesn’t get the look he’s well versed in the offense and will move the ball quickly. I think adjusting to the game speed and not trying to do too much with the passes will be an area of concern. He is one that would thread the needle on a back door cut etc. and that’s an area where I could see him struggling to start with.

Reminds me of Gordan Hayward 2.0 JMO

I’ll word it this way - Duncan made the vast majority of his shots in the offense. The offense of course requires movement so he hit a lot of 3s coming off the dribble hand of from the 5 and if the defense does not show on him he’d knock it down immediately. It was rare for him to put the ball on the floor and then pull up for 3. If/when he put the ball on the floor it was typically to drive to the bucket and more often than not he was going all the way to the hole and not attempting a midrange although I suspect that maybe the case next year. Was he a catch and shoot guy - absolutely because as part of the offense guys penetrated and kicked and Duncan would often be the recipient of that action.

Duncan had more of a set shot at Williams but that was mainly because he could, I suspect that a lot of the time this year he was working on a quicker release because he won’t have the time to take that shot. If I’m thinking of a comparison player the first guy I think of is Peja Stojakovic. Peja never had the super fast release of Steph or Klay, but it was a quick enough release in combination of being tall that he had no problem getting good looks. I think Duncan will have that same type of ability on the perimeter.

6ft8 shooter sounds perfect for a stretch 4 in Coach B’s offense. Can he defend? No clue but can anyone else on our roster defend the 4? So my expectations are that he will get starter minutes.

6ft8 shooter sounds perfect for a stretch 4 in Coach B's offense. Can he defend? No clue but can anyone else on our roster defend the 4? So my expectations are that he will get starter minutes.

6’8" = 6’7". Dawkins at 6’6" would probably be a better defender/rebounder since his athleticism (relative to Robinson) would somewhat help offset his size. The issue is if Robinson and Ricky Doyle are playing together, there may be no point to attempting to play defense. Even if the perimeter players force a stop, UM is unlikely to get the board with those two on the floor together. Factor in Spike on defense…it’s a big issue. You probably have to pair Duncan with Walton, Caris/MAAR, and Donnal/Wilson (not that either of those are necessarily great options either).

6ft8 shooter sounds perfect for a stretch 4 in Coach B's offense. Can he defend? No clue but can anyone else on our roster defend the 4? So my expectations are that he will get starter minutes.

6’8" = 6’7". Dawkins at 6’6" would probably be a better defender/rebounder since his athleticism (relative to Robinson) would somewhat help offset his size. The issue is if Robinson and Ricky Doyle are playing together, there may be no point to attempting to play defense. Even if the perimeter players force a stop, UM is unlikely to get the board with those two on the floor together. Factor in Spike on defense…it’s a big issue. You probably have to pair Duncan with Walton, Caris/MAAR, and Donnal/Wilson (not that either of those are necessarily great options either).

To be fair, he’s listed at 6-8 on the roster.

6’8"=6’7" I do not see how that make any sense what so ever. I would take Duncan covering the 4 over anyone else on this roster only cuz we have nobody that can guard it and atleast he is the biggest.

Robinson will be a top player on this team next year.
He is a premier shooter.
People in general, focus way too much on what a player can’t do, Coach Beilein, puts players in a position to succeed, focusing on what they can do well.
Duncan Robinson will be a factor on the scouting report.

Aubrey Dawkins? He can jump, but he doesn’t possess a jumper, at least not a, “I’m gonna take my man off the dribble and elevate over him”, jumper. He can’t handle the ball, he’s not a good passer, heck, he doesn’t even run the floor well, yet he was putting up huge numbers at the end of the season because he can stroke the rock

To be fair, he’s listed at 6-8 on the roster.

Can’t find the article but I’m pretty sure either Beilein or Bacari described him as “every bit of 6’7” " or something like that

I don’t see how we can have any Clue how Robinson will play next year. He is a total unknown in my book. He could be anything from Gordon Heywood to a smaller Donnal. Until we see him against real competition we won’t really know.

He was a legit 6’7 at Williams so I don’t doubt he’s likely 6’8 now. In that pic I posted the guy he’s next to is 6’9, at the free throw is 6’5, #30 is 6’6, 33 is 6’7, 5 is 6’6 and then the one munchkin pg that is 5’8.

I don’t trust any of the heights listed to be honest but do not think they are just pulled from a hat. If he is listed at 6ft8 he is probably taller than everyone other than Doyle, Donnal and Wilson while supposedly being a great shooter.

I don't trust any of the heights listed to be honest but do not think they are just pulled from a hat. If he is listed at 6ft8 he is probably taller than everyone other than Doyle, Donnal and Wilson while supposedly being a great shooter.

Player heights in hoops are like 40 times in football. Not to be trusted.

Agree that they are ‘not to be trusted’… but I think they give something of a fair comparison between players on the same team.

His slow release would be much more of a concern if he was a 6’3" shooting guard. His height makes it much less important to get the shot off fast in my opinion.

Where does this ‘slow release’ stuff come from. I’m not going to sit here and say he has a lightning fast release but through watching him on video and live in practice(over 3 days) I don’t think there is a ‘slow release’ issue at all. Add to that, he’s 6’7+…that part of his game is the absolute least of my worries.

Duncan won’t be asked to do a ton, especially if Caris returns. He’s a smart kid, can shoot, has good size and length and will be an asset, IMO. If Caris doesn’t return, Duncan maybe asked to do more but he should have plenty of help in either case.

Not seeing a slow release, either.