Michigan open practice scheduled for October 24th

Here’s the press release:

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The University of Michigan men’s basketball team announced Tuesday (Oct. 10) it will open practice from 6-7 p.m. to the general public on Tuesday, Oct. 24, at Crisler Center. Following the practice session, U-M head coach John Beilein and the Wolverine players will be available for a “Selfie Night” promotion on the concourse level.

For 45 minutes (7-7:45 p.m.), coach Beilein, the men’s team and selected women’s players will meet and greet fans and be available for photos and/or the popular social media “selfie.” Players and coaches will not grant autographs during the event.

Fans can enter through the northeast entrance of Crisler Center beginning at 5:30 p.m. All parking surrounding Crisler Center will be free after 5 p.m. The M-Den location on the northeast concourse will be open as well for Wolverine fans to get all the newest Jumpman or Nike gear.

Following a brief introduction of this year’s team, the Wolverines will go through several drills during the practice, allowing fans to get an early glimpse of the team prior to U-M’s exhibition opener against Grand Valley State, Friday, Nov. 3 at 7 p.m.

For further information on men’s basketball tickets, please visit MGoBlue.com/tickets. For students with inquiries about the Maize Rage or general student information please email mgostudents@umich.edu.

Selfie Night Schedule
5:30 p.m. - Doors open
6:00 p.m. - Coach Beilein addresses crowd, introduces players
6:10 p.m. - Practice Begins
6:50 p.m. - Skills Session
7:00 p.m. - Selfies with players on the concourse
7:00 p.m. - Fan photos on the Crisler court
7:45 p.m. - Event Concludes

1 Like

One day after my fall break ends :frowning:

Dylan, will you be allowed to film any of the practice?

We don’t do a midnight madness type event because of Beilein’s personal preference, right?

And it’s not like Michigan fans really showed up in the past when Michigan did it. And never forget that Zack Novak won the dunk contest.

1 Like

We usually have in the past.

1 Like

Yeah, you need to be a primarily basketball school to get anyone at those.

Even when I was a student, midnight was late, but more importantly there were better late night activities available than watching a practice.

Midnight Madness isn’t usually actually at Midnight.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see Dylan’s selfie reel from tonight…

3 Likes

Let me be the first to provide a quick summary:

1. Matthews and Austin Davis underwhelm.
  2. Jaaron SImmons and Eli Brooks can score, but Z may be the man for the point.
  3. Mo is a stud and wins the 3 point contest.
  4. Team rebounding likely to be a weakness again.
  5. Isaiah Livers is a cool dude and definitely shows promise, but may contribute more in the 2nd half of the season.
  6. Ibi and Poole were OK, not outstanding.

That’s it for now.

2 Likes

Welp, that’s not quite as positive as I’d hope.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Its a practice Lol

Z looks improved, focused, determined and not hesitant at all. Moving with purpose the kid is just lightning quick…I am surprising myself by saying this but I think the competition for the starting point guard spot between Z and Simmons is a real competition…Simmons had better be significantly better shooting from 3 because Z showed noticeably better quickness, intensity, and court awareness, in my opinion. Hopefully it is captured on video but Z broke Poole’s ankles in pretty spectacular fashion on a baseline drive.

Matthews showed some athleticism but bobbled the ball on multiple occasions in ball handling situations where you would not expect a polished player to bobble. Simply put, he does not look like a polished ball handler at all. He did look very strong defensively. Had a great block.

Of the Freshman I thought Livers looked pretty solid and strong and not hesitant. I think he will definitely play significant minutes. He showed good handles on multiple occasions and had a great dunk on the baseline!

Ibi looked similar to last year.

Brooks showed some nice change of speed. The kid has potential down the road!

Poole always seemed to be going against great defense from Matthews or MAAR—I don’t have a hot take on Poole’s performance.

Hibbits had a good practice.

3 Likes

I’l have more thoughts tomorrow after media day. Also posting some video tonight so you guys can judge for yourself.

3 Likes
1 Like

A couple of clarifications. First, Austin Davis did look great in drills, but not so much in the scrimmage. In drills, he showed a nice outside shot. But Teske got more minutes than him in the scrimmage and Teske seems to be ahead on the depth chart. Teske played pretty well BTW. Second, while Isaiah Livers looked good, his offensive game, at this point, seems limited to that fadeaway jumper we saw in his high school tapes. Third, just like last year, I have doubts about Matthews’ court sense. His jumper did look better, I’ll give him that. And he remains incredibly fluid and graceful.

Eli > Simpson > Poole ~ Livers > Ibi

1 Like

I liked what I saw from Brooks on that video. He just looks confident and like he knows what he’s doing. He’s going to be good.

Liked to see Wagner looking to pass a bit. He doesn’t have to be a point center out there but a little playmaking from him could go a long way.

I thought Matthews’s playmaking, etc., looked pretty good. Depends on what the baseline is – mine is GRIII, not Stauskas.

3 Likes