Let's sit back and wait

I agree. I said before he showed he can adjust. I think he should stress it with this group. Let’s see.

Also I don’t agree that no one has shown back to the basket moves. Wagner has shown them. I know you didn’t post that. Just answering two posts in one. Wagner has showed that skill. He just doesn’t get a lot of chances so we don’t see it much. I truly believe he has that in his game with the foot work and little flips/ baby hooks.

1 Like

Just a quick note to add on the transition discussion. Heard beileins post game on the drive home, he specifically mentioned all the stops the team is getting and that they need to figure out how to run more and get easy looks off it in transition.

4 Likes

Walton can not run a break, I see why we struggle/ don’t do it now,

Heard him say similar things on the ESPN post-game interview…he said something along the lines of somehow we’ve become a non fast-break team and its driving him crazy. Whether we’re successful at it or not, I have a feeling that this is going to be a point of emphasis moving forward, because we’re simply not that great of a half-court offense.

2 Likes

We had a ton of opportunities to run last night and didn’t – it was driving me crazy too.

A post was split to a new topic: Crisler Attendance

2 Likes

Maybe the can do a simple inbounds pass from under the basket. I don’t get why every time the are inbounding the ball under their own basket it seems so hard for them to do.

Same with press breaks

Ive been perplexed by that for two years…They have no effective out of bounds plays. Simple coaching fix which doesn’t get attention.

I think the team has done a solid job breaking the press this season in limited opportunities. They aren’t pushing the ball down the floor for finishes at the rim, but they haven’t coughed up the ball very many times when pressed.

1 Like

We have not been crushed by the press in the backcourt. When I’ve watched we’ve had one to two inbounds 4 seconds in, which is stressful. By not punishing the press we’re left with effectively 20 s to run the offense, sometimes less after positioning, which often forces us into click heaters rather than quality looks.

Its crazy! Every single time its like they have to force the ball all the way past half court to get a ball in from under the basket. Even then its almost a issue, close to being a steal or has been stolen. Frustrating to watch. The press yeah haven’t been challenged much really. However yes they haven’t pushed it enough for some easy buckets or even take it to the hoop and try to get a And 1. They settle way too much on J’s and no dribble drive game.

They could try this…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojKZoR3Pw90

Yea I don’t understand why belein doesn’t come up with new inbound plays under the basket. They can never get the ball in without doing what you said. This has been a issue for years.

No. As a matter of fact, for years the narrative was that he was one of the best coaches in America on inbounds plays and out of the timeout. This is one of those places where a person on the internet can just say a thing without consequence, but it just isn’t true. Every college team gets surprised by tight situations out of timeouts now and then. As far as I’ve seen we haven’t gotten caught more than once or twice in ten games this year.

Every fan is going to place their own team under the microscope and magnify the flaws; and half the fans in America want their coaches fired and all the players replaced. But people need to be called on it when the stuff they come up with courts the ridiculous. We had one or two bad stretches with inbounding at key times in games the last few years–as almost everyone does–and. . . meme time. No.

1 Like

Fans are generally negative, unless they’re ‘pink hats’. Actually, I think the narrative on this forum mostly is from people that do watch the games. They actually had a sweet out-of-bounds play at the end of the VA Tech game with Moe taking a long pass along the base line then feeding Duncan who was cutting off the top of the key. He didn’t make it but it was well thought out.

1 Like

I’m pro Coach Beilein all day every day; hope he sticks around for 10 more years, but narratives be damned, I’ve watched this team struggle to get the ball inbounds for years. That narrative should go out the window with the famed Beilein 1-3-1 zone narrative.

I don’t think this is true.

Tbere was and probably is a stat on points per possession on inbounds plays, which I believe was separate from points per plays off of timeouts - Michigan was very high in both.

1 Like