Let's sit back and wait

I missed today’s gAne as I had work but I liked the box score, moe looked heavily involved along with dj. I think this is a big way to win. Feeding moe, dj in his Jack of all trades, Walton and Duncan hitting threes and then Irvin attacking the rim and letting the game. come to him. Taking threes when given to him and open but really looking to drive and distribute. Then maar slashing. That’s the best way to go. We do that and we win. We hang around the three line with lazy passes and handoffs followed by a late shot clock three and were toast.

Still convinced if dj isn’t in foul trouble that we beat v tech all day. Either way feed moe more on the post and the offense will improve. He can kill you do many Ways. Unleash the beast on these guys. He could develop into our top offensive weapon if we let him.

1 Like

Yeah, not sure about this transition idea either. Easy baskets should be sought whenever possible, of course, but when Michigan was dangerous in transition, it was when we had athletes like GR3 and Hardaway streaking down the wing, catching lobs, etc. That just is not our roster right now.

I disagree. Wilson is very athletic. Wagner is athletic. Maar and Walton are both athletic and Irvin is at least a solid athlete. That lineup could run and get easy buckets. I think mentally their not trained to think that way. It’s a mental approach and switch in philosophy and thought process just like defense this year.

I think it’s something they should approach and push in practice. I really think Walton and maar running and sneaking out would bring a log of pressure and trouble for other teams defenses.

Remember Walton freshman year would shoot out of a canon after grabbing a rebound just to find no one with him, if maar and Wilson were chasing it could be an asset

I agree.Our guys are plenty athletic. Playing fast is mostly passing fast and having off the ball players make good runs. The runs don’t even have to great/athletic…Players need to have a good idea where they are going to pass before they receive the ball.

I do wonder if JB, by his own design does not want to pass fast. Our guards have a strong tendency to rebound and then dribble more than just about any team I have ever seen and that does not lend itself to fast play. Nobody can out run a long, wide, and quickly executed outlet pass…

It all just leads me to believe that JB does not want to play fast for some reason… Maybe because of the turnovers? I don’t know, I wish he would change his mind because I think this group of good ball handlers would be good at it…

He’s not averse to running, in fact he mentioned himself that it’s important to get easy buckets in transition because the half-court is a grind. You do need athletic wings to run though, not so much athletic bigs.

You can get easy buckets if your bigs run the floor.

I picture Wilson and moe here particularly Wilson. Walton him and maar pushing a fast break would be tough to stop.

I just watched the 5 Key Plays and I will say this: While I love what DJ Wilson brings to the team when he’s on his game it physically hurts me to see him try and drive to the basket. That fade away 8 footer off the backboard sure was something. :joy:

Coach Beilein correct; he is awkward at this stage of his development. Patience

Check out the transition graph here…

Not really sure more transition play is what this team needs.

They seldom look for transition offense, and seldom shrink defense with a pass to the post then a kick out for a three…if you call yourself a 3 point shooting team, you need both these qualities in your game. ( they take 25 a game.)

1 Like

Freshman PG Xavier Simpson getting adjusted at Michigan, may need to step up vs. Texas

Unfortunately, Beilein knows nothing about basketball, let alone the best ways to set up three-point shooters for easy looks. He’s a flash-in-the-pan phenomenon destined to fizzle early in his career.

3 Likes

And might as well ignore the enormous number of open 3s (most of them of the corner variety), produced by the offensive scheme, missed by MAAR, DJ, and Duncan.

1 Like

What he says is true though. I think both of these things would help us get more open looks

1 Like

Really though this would be a great chance to get out and run. Let’s beat the press and then push it to the rim with numbers, instead of pulling it out

1 Like

Both of these things seem missing to me too.

We really need to take it to Texas tonite and not mess around. They should not be in this game for any reason.

Native son Eric Davis has really seen the quality of his play plummet so far this year. 27% from the field and 16% from three. Horrible.

1 Like

You don’t need them. Are they beneficial? Definitely could be. But are perimeter defenders going to help the post defender if our big men aren’t threats in the post? Nobody has any real back to the basket moves. Teams are probably going to be fine with letting us dump it inside. Plus, your big men have to have the capabilities to find the open shooter. Are our big men capable in that regard? I honestly have no idea. I would like to get out in transition more. But we don’t absolutely need those things to be an effective 3 pt shooting team. Honestly, we’ve had plenty enough of open looks IMO. We’re just not hitting them.

a good pass is faster than any player. Coaching is about getting your players to do what you want them to do…he babies Walton for some reason. Has he never noticed this deficiency? He has had him for 4 years!