DJ Wilson, Moe Wagner declare for NBA Draft without agents

Who would have thought a year ago we would be waiting on two players who barely played last year to make NBA decisions. With that being said why has it taken JB that long to find a 4 like Wilson? How are top stretch 4s not jumping to be in the system, hopefully DJ’s progress jump starts that.

Who would have thought half way through the this season we are one missed shot from making the elite 8. Feel like our road is much bumpier than other programs.

2 Likes

Felt this way with Leaf and J. Jackson. Both guys will probably make the NBA, no problem. But playing as a wing/stretch 4 in JB’s offense seems pretty ideal. Hopefully he can appeal to elite stretch 5s, too, now that Moe panned out (Donnal was also supposed to fill that niche, but never panned out).

1 Like

I always assumed that the kids, who would obviously flourish at Michigan, are being mi$led by their inner circle of trainers, high school and AAU coaches… Maybe I am being too cynical but I am not sure that Wilson and Wagner’s success will help much because there are a million ways to poison the well, unfortunately…

2 Likes

I would think the stigma of “small ball/guard only offense” will stick unfortunately.

Agreed. I’m more worried about DJ. He almost left the program after year 1. A lot has changed since then, but he is likely ranked higher than Mo and seems more intrigued with going pro early.

I don’t. DJ and Mo got a lot of exposure this season. Most young bigs would love to play in this offense.

Yeah - I think Moe/DJ were able show that bigs in this offense can have the green light, even if it still involves a lot of on and off ball screening. I think McGary provided too small of a sample size for it to make an impact with recruits.

I am obviously bias but think any position can thrive in this offence but recently shows bigs do have freedom and can be featured. With JB being agressive with the grad targets hope that translates to targeting some kids we haven’t previously.

Still can’t believe it took 10 years to get a true 4 for JBs system.

3 Likes

Would you guys rather have third year dj or bamba? It’s easy too choose bamba without hesitation but I wonder sometimes. Other prospects have had rough starts in college/ flamed out. Obviously I don’t think bamba will struggle really just wondering if you guys all see it as a no brainer if you had to choose

1 Like

Notoriety-wise, Bamba would make a lot of players take a hard look at the program. It really depends how farsighted they are though. Performance-wise it’s a gamble.

1 Like

Wilson and it’s not close.

2 Likes

I’d pick wilson without hesitation.

4 Likes

Bamba and it isn’t close.

2 Likes

I don’t know. Wilson committed 6 months after Mitch’s run. Wagner has talked about watching the NCAA tourney. Bamba was at the VCU game and years later sought out Michigan. The NCAA tournament is where stars are made for many and Mitch was a breakout guy and the story all the way to the final game.

1 Like

Aren’t Wagner and Wilson roommates? I assume they’ve spent A LOT of time talking this over with each other and are more than aware of the near consensus that they should return for another season and be first round locks in 2018. I assume the prospects of how good the team can be next year would be a factor in their conversations as well.

It’s a tough call for me. I think I’d gamble on bamba though. Particularly if Wilson left and you couLd add bamba and cam or bamba and say alstork. I mean that’s an interesting team either way.

But
X/Eli
maar/ Poole
Mathews Robinson
Wagner / cam
bamba/davis/ teske

Is pretty filthy.

X/eli
MAar/Poole
Mathews/ Robinson
Wilson/livers
Bamba/moe

Is ridiculous. I’d probably start Wagner and let bamba just guard whoever is quicker or overall just more effective on the other team. Wagner offensively the four. Lots of pick and pop. I mean if we add bamba and retain Wilson it’s a wrap. Final 4 possibilities for sure.

Can’t we just catch this break? Jaylon was close. I felt so good On brown. This one feels not as realistic but maybe. Always a shot.

1 Like

I agree. 1 year of Bamba vs 2 more years of DJ would be interesting

I think Bamba would take our already improving defense to the next level. Year two under Donlon should be an improvement and then you add in Mathews and Bamba. Simpson over Walton is also a defensive up grade. This would be the best defensive team of the Beilein era, by far.

4 Likes

Hypothetically speaking, if we do not land any new players and lose Wilson/Wagner what do we look like
yikes
Teske/Davis
Robinson/Livers
Matthews/Watson
MAAR/Poole
X/Brooks

My day has been ruined.

Although, I’m 90% certain that if we did lose it on all theee. Atleast two new player would be on the roster.

2 Likes