DJ Wilson, Moe Wagner declare for NBA Draft without agents

Between Bamba and DJ… a motivated/tough/focused DJ wins this debate for me. Have to be tougher (play into contact), more focused (no mental lapses) which are great reasons to come back and prove some leadership/accountability on a team losing so much of its offense.

if I had a choice between last year’s DJ and Bamba, it would be harder call… Part of that is just the value of potential though and wanting a McDs level talent for the first time in 15+yrs for the program’s sake.

Land of 10 and NBAdraft.net don’t have wilson or Wagner being drafted at all. I’m glad to see it but also confused as to what world the person who put that together lives in. They’d get drafted no doubt, just depends on where.

1 Like

I think it’s them simply projecting that they will come back and move on to the 2018 draft.

3 Likes

NBAdraft.net isn’t a credible source of info for the draft. Draftexpress is by far the best. Woj uses their information because Jonathon Givony does a ton of work.

1 Like

Scholly depth chart, updated for potential attrition.

1 Like

Alternate version :slight_smile: although I like the $$$ green touch.

*denotes redshirt

2 Likes

just for understanding, do Davis and Donnal not get reclassified for eligibility (with a *) b/c they weren’t medical redshirts or transfers? Do you wait until JB says something formal about classification? Was just surprised Davis wasn’t bunched with Poole/Brooks/Livers.

1 Like

I need to update the chart :slight_smile: Donnal didn’t have a * because this was his last year and as much had been said. I haven’t updated Austin Davis yet though.

Thanks, so similarly, Davis moves to the 17 class with a * for now, but if JB ever communicated that he was gone after 4 calendar years, he’d move back to the Teske/X group (w/o *) I guess then?

Just updated it, does that look better?

SI has DJ and Moe at #23 and #34 respectively

Honest question: Did you guys think that DJ and/or Moe showed anything different in the BTT/NCAA Tourney that is making them sky rocket up the boards like this? Other than it might have just been the first time watching them for many of the pundits/NBA guys?

IMO, the skills that make them so intriguing to the NBA didn’t just appear in March…I think we saw it from them all year (though not consistently). Do you think they were on radars, and the fact that they did it on the big stage got them to a tipping point? Or did these draft analysts and NBA scouts really have no clue?

1 Like

it looked great before, i just didn’t understand how JB’s somewhat random designations impacted it.

A lot of it has to do with layering good games on top of other good games, plus performing in “clutch situations” like a Conference Tourney Semifinal and Championship Game.

Neither Wilson nor Wagner entered the season with a high draft profile — so a strong game against say an SMU early in the year registers as a potential blip. Add another strong game during conference play vs say Purdue or Minnesota with an OK showing vs a MSU or WI and suddenly there’s a little bit of “underground intrigue” from some scouts. Then add a string of strong-to-average showings in a one-week tournament like the B1G Tourney, along with team success — backed up with out of conference games against tougher competition in the NCAA Tournament. All of a sudden a player who was drawing casual interest from a scout becomes “front and center” to discussions.

2 Likes

Likely scenario, we use the final 17 scholarship on a grad transfer and both Wagner and Wilson entire the NBA after next season. That would allow us 5 scholarships for 18, or four more in addition to Dejulius.
We already have 3 point guards, so we would likely need to add a third center, and a second player at both the 2 and 4, whiich would give us two deep at the 2-4 and three deep at the 1 & 5. What do we use the final scholarship on? A combo guard? A combo forward? A five star at any position?

French International Jonathan Jeanne is staying in the draft. Draft Express has him going early in the second round. Would be competition for DJ/Moe for teams looking for an athletic big man that could move. That said, he’s probably more raw than either of them. So he’s definitely a project.

I hope we use it on a top talent anywhere on the court 1-5

1 Like

So let’s say you’re a young player in a foreign league. If you declare and don’t get drafted, are you then able to come over as a free agent when your contract expires? I’m wondering if some of these declarations are tactical, with the intent of skirting the rookie contract indentured servitude.

I have to assume that 90% of the kids and their families don’t think that way and I think that may be a low percentage. They don’t understand that you’ll rarely make over $100,000 as a rookie in Europe. They don’t understand that the NBA isn’t just a talent league but a “fit” league. There are many players who are talented enough to make the NBA but never make it because of certain issues.

Contracts in Europe are rarely over a year (with a few exceptions) or guaranteed. If they don’t produce in Europe they’ll be released. They need their “imports” to produce or they’ll find another one. It’s very cutthroat over there. Most guys think they’ll make a ton of money, playing in front of a ton of people, and then come back to the NBA. Money isn’t as big as they think, attendance isn’t as big unless you are on a premier club (many gyms are the size of HS gyms), and can’t make in the NBA if your agent doesn’t have the contacts.