Caris LeVert undergoes foot surgery

U-M Release:

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – University of Michigan senior guard Caris LeVert announced today (Saturday, March 26) he underwent a successful procedure on his left foot. The surgery was performed by Dr. Martin O’Malley on Tuesday, March 22 at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City.

“After the NCAA Tournament, my family and I had the opportunity to have a consultation with Dr. O’Malley in New York,” said LeVert. “After a full evaluation, we discussed the most appropriate options for helping me and my injury as I move forward with my basketball career. After much prayer and family conversations, we were confident it was the right time to have this procedure done to make sure I reduce the possibility of injuries in the future.”

“We were pleased Dr. O’Malley supported how our medical staff handled Caris’ injury,” said U-M head coach John Beilein. “Even with that affirmation, he recommended this additional surgery would be in the best interest for Caris. We all want him to have a healthy and successful playing career after college and this procedure will only enhance that opportunity for him.”

“I would have recommended the same path the U-M medical staff followed by opting to let Caris’ injury heal without surgery in January and February in hopes of getting him back later in the season,” said Dr. O’Malley. “As we explored it further, we wanted to promote healing and prevention of a recurrence of this injury so we proceeded with surgery using enhancements that will yield success for years to come. Caris is expected to begin his rehabilitation in six weeks and with the expectation of a full recovery by this summer.”

This season, LeVert was a preseason All-Big Ten team member for the second straight season. He was also selected to the preseason watch lists for the John R. Wooden Award and the Jerry West Award. A two-time team captain, he averaged 16.5 points, 5.3 rebounds and 4.9 assists – all career-bests – before missing 20 games due to his injury. He posted the program’s fourth triple-double with 13 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists against Northern Kentucky (Dec. 15, 2015)

For his career he played in 103 career games, compiling a 98-46 record. He became the 49th Wolverine to reach 1,000 career points ranking 44th all-time with 1,070. He finished averaging 10.4 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game. He was instrumental in guiding U-M to back-to-back NCAA Elite Eights (2013 & 2014) as well as the Wolverines first NCAA Final Four and national title game in 20 years (2013). As a sophomore (2014) he helped U-M capture its first outright Big Ten regular season title in 28 years (2014) and earn U-M’s first No. 1 seed at the Big Ten Tournament.

Well there goes any chance of him being a first round pick, unfortunately. Won’t be able to work out for teams.

Poor kid! It’s a shame the kid has great talent but his biggest enemy was his body. Not seeing him on the court hurt me this year he’s a player that I love to watch. He just has that feel for the game.

Out of left field but could he receive a medical hardship? Between last year and this year? I mean he isn’t gonna go high now if he could get one it would make sense for him to come back and show he can play at a high level again. He could at least play himself into the first round next year as opposed to the path he’s gonna go now. I know it’s far fetched but if I was him and could get one if come back for numerous reasons. Him and spike?lets get a mulligan for this year and give it another go round. Plus a few kids would bounce for sure freeing a scolRdhips up for 17 anyways. I’m on to something here

He played more than 30% of our games right?

Based upon the rules Caris definitely seems eligible. His injury occurred prior to the midway point of the season. It would be great if Caris returned. Spike too!

1 Like

It HAS to be less than 30% of our teams game this year.

I should not have said “definitely eligible”. I just read through the rules on a website and it seemed to me he would be eligible to return. The only grey area would be the one game that he returned to play in…I think…Anybody familiar with the rules?

He played in 14 of 34 games. 41% which makes him ineligible

Ok. I think I get it. If a player played in 30 percent of the games or if the injury occurs after the midpoint of the season then the player is no longer eligible. Because Caris played in more than 30 percent of the games (even though the injury occurred before the midpoint of the season) Caris is not eligible. Do I have it right?

Correct. Which sucks a lot. He played in 15 actually but he he had only played 10 he would qualify.

Bummer deal! I was excited there for a few minutes!

So was I. I was like omg can it be? But no lol.

Didn’t read the rules I thought it was a judgement call of sorts. Reviewed case by case. Sucks to hear. I wonder if he would have considered it

Have to hope that this is good news, if not for his immediate draft chances then for his long-term career, that the foot problems are put to bed and he can play without further issue.

1 Like