Big Ten Roster Movement (Summer 2016)

Whoa - didn’t see that one coming. Maryland is going to be struggling next year.

Troy Williams to test the waters

1 Like

Carter and Stone likely gone. Who is Tremble going to throw the ball to? I would think that he is likely to go also, if he gets good feedback.

OSU adds a JuCo guard with a good perimeter shot.

Eligible immediately or need to sit out?

I think that juco transfers are eligible immediately as long as they fulfill academic requirements.

5 Likes

Not a good 24 hours for Sparty fans. Read today that Davis started less than half of their games this season. How can you have a potential lottery pick and not start him? Guess Izzo brought him along really fast at the end of the season.
Guess this opens up more playing for the incoming freshmen.

1 Like

Davis only played 18 minutes per game, and Izzo sat him for long stretches of crucial games. Despite his best efforts, Izzo wasn’t able to force a 2nd year out of Davis.

3 Likes

See Zach Randolph

So right now MSU’s rotation of “bigs” is Schilling, Goins, and Ward? That’s pretty light. Maybe they get a graduate transfer, but I’d expect to see a lot of Bridges at the 4 and that’s a lot of pressure on getting something out of Schilling, Ward, who I’m not sure is an instant impact guy, and a grad transfer (unless maybe it’s Alec Peters).

they will be more then fine IMO. Schilling and Ward can play and Goins was a very good backup when healthy. Having Marvin Clark still would have helped but they can also go small ball with Bridges at th 4. They will be fine

Izzo will turn this into a win developing a likely lottery pick in Davis. This to go along with recent 1st rounders like Harris/Payne likely Valentine this year and Bridges next year. Maybe a bit of a step back but they still have a lot of talent with Harris-McQuaid-Nairn-Langford-Winston-Bridges. They’re likely going to have to get more production from Ward/Schilling but Izzo will likely find a 5th year transfer like he’s done before.

1 Like

They are relying heavily on true freshmen next year. It’s a totally different game than high school. This will be the most inexperienced team in Izzo’s career.

3 Likes

Izzo’s 12-13 roster

Valentine FR
Harris FR
Costello FR
Trice SO
Dawson SO

Appling JR
Payne JR
Nix SR

I would say that team was pretty inexperienced with the most talented players on that roster being FR/SO. There isn’t a huge difference from 12-13.

Harris was at West Virginia freshman year

1 Like

Gary Harris

2 Likes

Good points, Mrs. Izzo.

The list of big man grad transfers who can compete at the Big 10 level is small. Unless they grab the Valpo kid, they are in a bit of trouble. They will have Gavin Schilling, Goins, and Nick Ward on the roster next year. Schilling is incredibly foul-prone, so it’s unreasonable to expect him to play much more than 20 mpg. Goins was decent in spot minutes, but it remains to be seen if he can handle more minutes. Ward will be a true freshman. His film looks good, but I’m not sure he’s ready to make a huge impact as a freshman.

They have some talent on the wings, but Izzo will actually have to give the reigns to the freshmen.