Big Ten Roster Movement (Summer 2016)

Of course Robinson’s 3 pt. ability doesn’t guarantee him a spot. That’s because we have many people who can shoot the ball well and that’s all he can do. MAAR is quite literally the ONLY one on our roster that we know of who can get to the rim and finish with consistency. Add that to his defensive potential and decent shooting and it makes absolutely no sense not to start him. Completely different situation than with Duncan.

I thought the Dawkins / Stanford thing was widely known.

I don’t remember reading anything on it other than speculation from message boards but I admit that was 3 years ago.

I think after watching Aubrey play for 2 years, it’s clear he’s not good enough to play in any major conference though. His dad was on the hot seat and just maybe he knew. I readily admit, that’s also speculation.

I’m standing behind Aubrey. I bet he excels at ucf. He can play major conference ball. I truly believe his poor season was discontent and a lack of confidence. You could see it on his face. You can live with the d when he scores like he showed he can last year. When their running sets for him and giving him lots of touches and looks under his dad I’m confident you will see a good scored/ elite shooter.

My main issue with him leaving is for a team that relies on the three, we don’t shoot them consistently well. To me he was our best shooter as Robinson can be up and down. This is why I’m for bringing spike back possibly. We could go small with him and Walton. Our d is weak might as well try and out shoot the other team. Also Walton is a huge injury risk. To me spikes penetration and shooting make us a tough offensive team. Obviously if we can add a nice wing player you do it but with our luck and track record lately, I don’t think spikes a bad option if healthy. People I think forget he can be very dangerous. Now if we lose another player then I’m for sure I to bringing back spike along with a wing

No.

Aubrey was a very good shooter but really didn’t do anything else. He couldn’t dribble, create his own shot, pass, or defend.

I’m certain he will score a lot at UCF too. I’m also certain that Aubrey scoring a lot at UCF means close to nothing. We know he can shoot. Him being able to score against mid-major level competition shouldn’t be surprising.

1 Like

I’m sure working on his handle will be something he works on hard over the next year and a half. This year off could really help him round out his game. He’s going to be very old in his junior and senior year. I have faith he has a good career. I believe he can score in any conference. He showed he could as a frosh in the big ten. I don’t think he’ll keep regressing. I’ll be rooting for him, I don’t think it’s the last we’ve heard of him.

A good handle isn’t something you just learn in an offseason. Also, I don’t think Dawkins regressed. I just think he hit a ceiling and that ceiling is capped because of the weaknesses I listed in my previous post.

Regardless, him succeeding at UCF proves nothing. Doyle could go to CMU and average 12 points and 7 rebounds in the MAC but that wouldn’t mean that he deserved more minutes at Michigan.

1 Like

These conversations sometimes unfold as if these guys played in a vaccum, on a floor by themselves. So many variables–coaches, flows, defenses–combine to place a player in a position to succeed. When you see a player thrive one year and struggle the next, to say he sucks is probably a little lacking in nuance. Still, people do it. I’d say assuming a clear second position to Robinson was not fun and that the chance to go and be on the floor with his Dad must sound great. UCF is one of the three biggest unis in the country and there is a ton of rabid sports money in the immediate area–the day when they will be good in both hoop and football is coming.

I don’t think Dawkins is a bad player. He has a role. Unfortunately, it’s the same role as Duncan Robinson. And they are in the same class. I think Duncan’s game is slightly more diverse and Dawkins can finish better in transition.

Best of luck to Aubrey. He’ll probably do just fine at UCF. Doesn’t mean we need him here. Now if Duncan gets hurt or inexplicably starts shooting 33% from deep, then I’m sure we’ll will wish he didn’t move on.

1 Like

Thomas Bryant is returning to IU - big boost for them.

1 Like

I am hoping that Ibi Watson can come in and contribute like Aubrey did. Hopefully he is better at defense than Aubrey was. I think Ibi can be a very good player. Very underrated IMO

His poor handle has basically relegated him to a catch a shoot player… if he gets that handle even to an average B1G level he becomes a pretty good offensive player… all the physical tools are there, so I would think his defense can improve with effort and teaching unless the instincts just aren’t there. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him blossom into a pretty solid player although I think this transfer is a positive for both sides. My 2 cents.

1 Like
1 Like

I wonder if that means Stone AND Melo are on their way out too, and Carter didnt want to be the guy left behind

Stone is already in the draft. With Carter leaving as well, I have to imagine Trimble has to leave. They won’t be playing for anything next year anyway.

I don’t think Stone has declared for sure, but it’s looking that way. Looking back, Trimble “should’ve” gone last year, as far as you can say stuff like that.

I’ve read something somewhere (on twitter, because twitter is always right…) that Stone is declaring but not hiring an agent but isn’t coming back to Maryland. Don’t think he was planning on staying longer than a year regardless of where he went.

shocked to see Carter declaring

He transferred, may already have his degree. Can still make money playing basketball even if it’s not the NBA.

1 Like

The Big Ten Network reported yesterday, that so far, there have been 20 transfers announced involving 8 teams.