Big Ten Roster Movement (Summer 2016)

I see all of the transfers this year as positive for Beilien. I speculate that he was honest with the players and they made the decision that benefited them the most. Beilien seems to have been very upfront and ethical in the way that he has helped players out the door. This is the “apology” for the poor recruiting. It doesnt change what happened in the past but hopefully repairs what happens in the future. I am hopeful that this opens the door for recruiting better players that Michigan is capable of getting.

This might be me be a homer, but this transfer attrition is considerably better for the Michigan’s program than the transfers at OSU. OSUlost a bunch of high end recruits (whether they panned out or not is another discussion) and will likely fill those scholarships with less touted players. Michigan is hopefully going to do the opposite: lose low-end recruits and replace with high-end players.

2 Likes

Whether he fixes them in the next few months is not the main concern for Beilien. It is ok if he leaves the roster spot open for the 2016 season. Doyle and Dawkins were holding scholarships hostage for the next couple of years. I would have no problem trading Dawkins for Young or Cain in the 2017 class… now if he can parlay this into Josh Jackson, well Beilein just did a masterful job of turning around what appeared to be a program on the decline.

First, I don’t think you can include Spike as one who decided to move along.
Second, I don’t see how you can view the other two as a negative (stumble).

Yea I saw some posters on Mgoblog saying that these transfers were a bad sign and I had the opposite reaction. If we weren’t getting this kind of attrition I would have been very worried about the future and JB’s ability to objectively scout his own roster.

3 Likes

Look at mgohoops’s post two doors down from you–a major stumble? “hope he has learned in the process” You talk as if he were a little boy, and you the wise teacher.

Maybe we see Spike differently? Could he have stayed and competed for floor time? Pretty sure they would have accepted him as a preferred walk on as he would bring more to the table than Dakich.

Agree with most that this offseason thus far has been net positive. I think coach got caught off guard by the early entries from the 2012 class and scrambled a bit to fill out the 2014 class as a result. These departures allow for better class balance on the roster. Ideally we can fill Aubrey’s spot with a grad transfer forward who can help for next year and then also allow for the spot to be open in 2017.

1 Like

I think the smart thing to do is use this last open spot for a 5th year senior weather its spike or a grad transfer. Currently we have 3 open spots for next year so it is too early to take those and fill them with undergrad transfers.

This is no different than what happened at OSU. Let’s not go overboard around here with what’s going on.

Both JB and Thad are doing what is necessary to improve their programs. There is no difference.

Besides, you know, us actually retaining some depth.

There you are. Welcome. New the mention of Thad would force your hand to post.

What depth does Michignan have right now. Our nonstarters still on the roster are bad outside Wagner. That isn’t depth just because they are bodies.

The attrition isn’t over either.

1. *Knew.
  2. I’ve been posting (and I thought we were avoiding the whole petty personal crap?).
  3. Sure, go with that. Not going to bicker about it. If you think there is NO difference about the two situations then you can go with that.

Thank you for the spelling correction.

2 Likes

There is one big difference I see from UM and Ohio St. Ohio St is losing guys who just didn’t like the program and wanted out and were contributors. UM was over the limit so they needed people gone. Rick was is a log jam in play time and wouldn’t have played, Aubrey went to play for his dad. WAY different IMO.

1 Like

Hey, that’s what friends are for.

Ricky Doyle’s dad flat out said that the program wasn’t the right fit for Ricky.

If Dawkins wanted to play for his dad, he could have went to Stanford initially. He’s headed to a mid major for a reason.

The bottom line is both coaches are doing what is necessary to move their program forward. Let’s at least be objective about this.

If you are so sure about the attrition, what shoe will drop next?

I edited my post. I believe Dylan doesn’t like dropping names of possible transfers before they happen.

It has been stated numerous times that he couldn’t get into Stanford and that is why he didn’t go there initially.

That could be true. Stanford standards are absurd.