Big Ten Discussion

1 Like

So the B1G is losing itā€™s best PGā€¦and Melo Trimble :smirk:

13 Likes

I think thatā€™s very possible.

That seems like a list from someone who doesnā€™t know what the efficiency margins were. For instance, in B1G play, Michigan finished almost ten points better than Iowa per 100 possessions, and Iowa loses Jok, by far their best player, negating the loss of Walton.

Lots of questions across the board. MSU was 6th in efficiency margin and might lose their best player. Wiscy obviously loses a ton. Trimble is now leaving. Minny and NU were pretty average efficiency wise and wonā€™t be sneaking up on anybody. Conversely, IU had a lot of talent and weā€™ll see where things go for them in terms of players leaving and coming in. After everything shakes out over the summer weā€™ll have a better idea of where things stand, but even then there could be a lot of questions again.

Am I also the only one who just doesnā€™t see it for Purdue?

I think those pieces they had played the best to their ability because of Swanigan. The Edwards duo can be very good but best in big ten good? I donā€™t see that at all. Iā€™m not even going to mention Haas, heā€™s just there and doesnā€™t move the needle.

1 Like

Even if Swanigan leaves, Haas, Edwards, Edwards, Mathias, Thompson, Cline, etc., seem like a pretty good group coming back. Maybe not best in big ten good but with lots of other teams having questions, they seem like an easy pick to finish toward the top. And while Painter had a couple bad seasons, heā€™s generally had PU up there.

1 Like

I think it is way too early to worry about how some writer or other expert sees the B1G stacking up next year. We need to see who leaves and who doesnā€™t, who transfers in and out and who becomes a late commit.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure how you can even evaluate the Big Ten next year before all of these roster moves are done. Kind of ridiculous to say well I think this guy will stay and this guy will go and vice versa. Letā€™s see how things shake out.

Very true, but to be fair to UMHoopsFan and I, we were just looking at Purdue individually without Swanigan. Unless Edwards decides to declare, which wouldnā€™t be a shock but a little unexpected.

I agree, weā€™ll have a much better sense after all the moves in and out become clear.

Michigan is #14. I think thatā€™s pretty fair but thereā€™s several other teams on there who I think are in quiteā€¦ interesting locations.

I donā€™t care if I get yelled at here for rehashing a tired subject, but again, $3 million is a lot of money in the coaching world:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

A lot of good coaches making under $2 million that would probably listen for Illinois and $3 million.

I see what you did there!

The Big 10 was pretty low on individual talent this year and even moreso next year - will be interesting to see who is in the Top 25 List in the preseason! Trimble, Bryant, OG, Jok, Bridges, Walton, Hayes, Koenig, Hill all gone. Swanigan? Blackmon?

Happ, Edwards, Langford, McIntosh would be the only 4 of the Top 15 from last yearā€™s preseason rankings.

1 Like

Fine, Iā€™ll bite. Who should they have targeted? And letā€™s assume that that Few, Mack, and Miller werenā€™t coming.

How much money is it worth to know that you wonā€™t be left without a name coach to sell to your fan base?

By the way, for what itā€™s worth, Underwood is only getting $2.75 million next year and wonā€™t make 3 until year 4.

1 Like

Letā€™s just assume you can GET any of these coaches at these guesses and throw out whether or not itā€™s possible. As an example Randy Bennett probably didnā€™t want to leave but these are just hypotheticals:

1. Chris Mack for the same price as Underwood if you needed to get up to $3 (or $2.75). I think heā€™s A LOT better than Underwood
  2. $3.3 million Archie Miller. Rather bump up to get him if it was possible.
  3. Kermit Davis in the $1.5 range
  4. Randy Bennett in the $1.5 range

I HATE the value they paid Underwood at. So then Kermit Davis to answer your question directly if we assume Miller and Mack arenā€™t coming.

Who cares about how much the guy is paid? All that matters is whether he wins. Itā€™s the university paying him the money and there isnā€™t some salary cap to divvy the money up. If Underwood is who they wanted, does it really matter if he is paid $2 million or $3 million? If he wins 20+ games at $3 mil, whatā€™s the big deal if another coach could win 20 at $2 mil? I just donā€™t understand the critiques over the money. Guy is a winner.

2 Likes

Why is Kermit Davis better than Underwood? Underwood has had way more success than Davis.