Big Ten Discussion

didn’t NC state already hire Keatts, former HC of UNC-Wilmington

2 Likes

Yes. I’m pretty sure.

Yes. This thread is all over the place.

I don’t think it’s all over the place. We both just brainfarted on facts in our messages.

I’ll jump back in and give everyone last year’s 2016 tournament teams coaching salaries. You tell me if he’s worth that price. I think it’s laughable.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Dana Altman as an example, was extended in November for 7 more years. How much will he make in 2023 for the first time? $3 million :wink:

4 Likes

You are a little late Max. Dan Dakich said that on air about a month ago (and included his son in the equation).

1 Like

Package deal, Donnal and Dakich

Pretty bold putting out these rankings before all recruits are signed, NBA announcements, transfers, but at least it’s offseason conversation fodder.
The order: MSU, Minny, Maryland, Purdue, NW, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Penn State, Illinois, Ohio State, Nebraska, Rutgers.

Unfortunately, MSU at the top sounds right to me. It seems like the lack of an elite team is even more glaring than this passed season (Wisconsin was thought to be up there). And it looks really crowded on the top half. Having us below Wisconsin doesn’t make any sense to me, but I can see an argument for the other 6 teams.

Very interested to see how Iowa and Penn State progress with all that returning young talent.

1 Like

We’re going to be starting three potential NBA players but “Look out! Ethan Happ is back!”

6 Likes

Iowa and northwestern will be better than us? I’m confused.

2 Likes

Who is great!..but the only returning starter. Basically what Iowa went through this season. Purdue also loses very little from a team that just won the B1G by 2 games. I really like Maryland, and will be convinced Minny was a fluke until I see it again (though I didnt know that Lynch was eligible for another season).

Dont think there is an elite team next season. But I also don’t think there is a bad team. Rutgers and Nebraska are obvious candidates for bottom dwellers, but Rutgers got much better over the course of the season and if they return Sanders, I think they’ll be decent. Nebraska is usually not a pushover either.

The big ten is stacked next year. It’s going to be pretty brutal. We better be ready to go. Also I disagree there is no elite teams. Maybe there’s no far and away division leader but I see a bunch of good to very good teams that could make nice runs.

I thought Purdue lost hass and probably Caleb?

Haas will be a senior next year. Swanigan monst likely to the NBA but he might come back n

1 Like

Wow, not much Michigan love. There is absolutely no question that Michigan will miss Walton and to a lesser degree Irvin. Yet to pencil them in that low seems to me to miss Beilein’s offensive genius and the revelations Wagner and Wilson became over the season. I’m not that sure about State either. They will still be young and that doesn’t seem to be the kind of roster that Izzo does best with.

2 Likes

I have a very hard time seeing MSU finishing first when their guards and wings are gonna be Winston, Langford, and lol. I mean they have a solid 5 with those two plus Ward, I guess McQuaid (Although he’s been pretty one dimensional and brutal at everything else), and Jackson. The freshmen all had up and down seasons and McQuaid has a low ceiling. Then on the bench you have Tillman, Schilling, and ??? Nairn is not a good player IMO. I don’t see a Big Ten Championship team right there. Good post play, but what else?

1 Like

That ranking does seem to project a lot of improvement, and increased minutes, from Winston, Ward, and Langford. Jaren Jackson likely wont be as good as Bridges, but he’s very good and closer to a true stretch 4. Schilling–as a starter or the backup 5–will be a big step up from Goins. But yeah, moving up 4 places in the standing will really require better play and more playing time for the young guys.

I think the parity of this season–with only Purdue really separating themselves, but they’re likely losing Swannigan–has made it really hard to call next season. Maryland will need Trimble back and improvement from Rowan, Heurter, and Jackson, to get 1st. Iowa needs to figure out which of the sophomores will do all of their scoring that Jok leaves with. NW needs to learn how to score, same with Minny. Indiana might lose a lot (Blackmon and Bryant, likely, though Im not sure if Archie will persuade them). Michigan needs to replace their best, most important player, and needs improvement/consistency of Wilson and Mo - also learning to run a team through the 4 and 5 will be incredibly interesting to watch.

1 Like

The same write-up on Michigan (upon initial publication) two years ago neglected to even mention Zak Irvin who had just completed a 10 game stretch that was one of his best at Michigan where it was reasonable to think he was our second best player after Caris. I commented, and they added a sentence “… something something, Zak Irvin, etc”, but it is hard to see the logic in how they relatively ranked teams.

1 Like