Big Ten Discussion

Did they bring band and cheerleaders?

I don’t know - I’m just curious. Did they? What’s it cost for a team to travel typically?

Usually band/cheerleaders only go to Tournaments (i.e.Big Ten Tournament or NCAA), and I don’t think they’d go to something like the NIT. No idea on the cost to travel, but Michigan obviously chartered a whole jet to D.C. last weekend and brought coach families, cheerleaders, pep band).

Believe there’s also a NCAA Tourney travel budget

1 Like

Crean’s options may be drying up if he is canned. Crean was rumored to be an option for Mizzou but local reports are indicating that Counzo Martin (thought to be a candidate for IL) is the guy with a 7 year $21 million contract.

Well, that means the job at Cal is now open for him :joy:

1 Like

How does Crean get fired a year after winning the Big Ten? Seems a little harsh.

1 Like
3 Likes

I wonder if we’d go after any of their recruits if they’re released from their LOIs. Justin Smith is the highest-rated according to the composite. We recruited him but never offered, so I’m not sure we would now with Livers in the fold. I’m not familiar with the other two.

Bryant, Blackmon and OG all leave?

I keep thinking about how weird it is that he’s getting fired, one season off a conference title game. But he’s really only had 3 seasons good enough for IU out his 9 there. Obviously the first couple were gonna be rough coming off the sanctions. But only 3 seasons where they’ve finished above .500 in conference play.

1 Like

Well, in January there were some people in these circles pining for a new head coach on Michigan’s bench — less than 3 years after a B1G Title & Elite8 run. Indiana’s decision is not THAT far off from the wishes of some here?

(Editors Note: I do think the firing of Crean was a quick hook based on last season and some of the injuries incurred this season)

It’s a small thing, but Crean being gone is probably good for Beilein. As long as Crean goes out of conference, maybe JB will be able to make better use of Harbaugh with his brother-in-law not being JB’s direct competitor.

2 Likes

Or at the very least maybe our football coach won’t actively support a rival program sitting courtside at Crisler

8 Likes

…or visit the visitors’ locker room at the half…

3 Likes

I believe JS wasn’t offered because his shooting wasn’t up to par.

I looked at his Marquette record and it made me wonder how he got the Indiana job in the first place. Over his 3 years in the Big East he did no better than 4th place and round of 32.

Inside the Hall has compiled a coaching search big board.

I believe every time IU direct deposited his pay into Creans account Crean was obligated to forward 5% to D Wade.

2 Likes

Pretty sure I remember MattD saying the staff viewed him as a small-ball 4 (closer to GR3 than DJ/Livers), and Livers’ scholarship acceptance led to the staff yanking Smith’s. FWIW, I think he’d be a great use of a scholarship, if Bamba doesn’t pan out: still an instant upgrade in athleticism.

1 Like

I tend to agree with you. Especially since we might be looking at only one more year of DJ.

It’s easier to improve shooting than it is athleticism.

Bryant really messed up by not leaving early last year in a weak draft and a strong season. I wonder if he’d even go first round in the draft after a down year.

1 Like