Big Ten Discussion

I’m sorry… these quotes are ridiculous. The problem with MSU’s resume is that people don’t talk about their SOS enough and that the media doesn’t hype the Big Ten? Gimmie a break.

4 Likes

MSU isn’t even in that much trouble IMO. Izzo should be talking about their strengths, not bringing up their weaknesses. SOS does you no good if you don’t win any games. Big Ten is not a great conference. We have decent depth, but there’s not anything close to a top 10 team in our conference IMO. Izzo should be talking about their two wins against Minnesota, and wins against Witchita St, Michigan, Wisconsin, and N’W.

Spike is playing real well for Purdue today against Northwestern.

1 Like

Spike just had an amazing stretch in the Purdue/Northwestern game. 3 or 4 assists in like 6 minutes helped open up a 9 point lead

Coach Collins has his team playing hard

But they can’t shoot and that’s going to be a problem.

True but he sure seems to get a lot out of little

1 Like

Last week, Izzo was on with Jim Rome.

Let’s just say if I was playing a drinking game based on “freshmen”, “injuries”, and “attrition” I’d be dead. Pathetic.

6 Likes

Remember when Tim Miles welcomed this game with open arms

4 Likes

Is it true that that Big Ten all conference votes had to be in by 8pm tonight? If so, that’s bogus. Walton had a monstrous game and it won’t count?

1 Like

Quinn tweeted that they were due 9 pm Eastern, which is bogus. Wait until the games are over. Probably doesn’t make a big difference, although you’d think watching Walton’s last game would leave a pretty positive last image. He had a pretty good 1st half I guess.

2 Likes

Yeah not loving that timeline. Most of the other guards DW is up against in that category did take advantage of giving a lasting image for the voters. 18 & 16 certainly could have trumped those.

We know that Miles voted Walton All Big Ten

2 Likes

Yes lol. He felt the refs gave us the last game. Laughable.

But they got hot against us for a bit particularly law. Seems like a few teams has those moments on us particularly early.

Sorry I didn’t get to this until now. I was in Columbus the latter part of this week to attend the IU at OSU game Saturday.

I’m guessing: ‘two days’ = "two years’?

How far do you want me to go down the rabbit hole? :innocent:

There are a number of different camps where Thad’s future is concerned.

A. Hard line detractors of Thad Matta cite not only the obvious, where Ohio State has missed the NCAA and finished back in the back of the pack in conference, past two seasons but a few before those, too, as a point where his program started to trend downward.

This camp has the predilection to see him fired and feel his physical problems have and will continue to affect his ability to coach. Members of this group criticize Thad for lack of development and poor recruiting.

In the end, most here think Thad has nothing left as a coach and that his program will continue to slide the wrong direction.

B. A middle of the road camp is on Thad’s side but they worry the main point of the hard liners is true. They vacillate between wanting a new coach (hint-hint—>Archie Miller) and wanting Matta to go out on his own terms. Secretly, they’ve folded their tents and are ready for Thad to leave but don’t want to be accused of disloyalty.

C. There remains a camp who supports Thad Matta. They concede the point the past few seasons have been rough, especially, compared to the Oden, Sullinger and Turner led OSU teams.

They, also, know Thad went through a period where he attempted to cash in on his program’s success by recruiting nationally and did not do well. As a result of that a group of Ohio players who could have been solid at OSU went elsewhere.

This group thinks if Keita Bates-Diop, who purportedly had a great summer, would have been healthy this season he would have made a difference and helped his teammates win a number of more games, certainly enough to earn a spot in the NCAAs.

Thad is now recruiting Ohio again. Kennard, Bragg, Johnson and Ahmad chose to go elsewhere, the first three were never going to be Buckeyes to begin with, anyway, but the 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 classes will include, at the very least, a number of excellent Ohio players. The presence of assistant Chris Jent is becoming a drawing card for players to see themselves in Scarlet and Gray.

Bottom line with this group is the feeling Thad Matta has done enough and has earned the right to step down when he wants and if he feels he will turn it around then he should have the opportunity to do it.

There are absolutely no rumblings Gene Smith is considering asking Matta to resign. If Thad leaves it will be his own choice.

I don’t think he’s leaving.

2 Likes

Is there an NCAAB coach who whines as much as Izzo? Not arguing the guy’s track record, because he’s obviously had an incredible career, but even after they got demolished at Crisler he “didn’t want to make excuses,” then chalked it up to “seniors against freshmen.”

3 Likes

Agreed. A coach with Izzo’s record should be throwing himself under the bus before his players, since he’s not getting fired at State. Roster management is your responsibility, Izzo. Use your track record to buy your freshmen time.

Take the hit and chalk this season up as an aberration that you vow to use as a launching point for next season and beyond. Your fan base will forgive you, especially if you make some noise in the postseason.

I must say, MattD and Guestavo vouched for you when you joined the forum, and they were right. You bring a lot of great insight to another B1G program that, rivalry aside, UM actually has a lot in common with (primarily being dubbed football schools…and having polarizing coaches because they’re so “ho hum”). Appreciate what you bring, including your outside yet rational perspective of our program in Ann Arbor.

6 Likes