B1G's Top Players at Each Postition

I thought it would be cool to see what everyone thought about who are the top players in the conference at each spot. I figured we could do top 5: (Assume all players testing the waters return and players are where they play for their team)

Mine:

Point Guard

1. Melo Trimble
  2. Bronson Koenig
  3. Derrick Walton Jr
  4. Cassius Winston
  5. Robert Johnson

Shooting Guard

1. Peter Jok
  2. James Blackmon Jr
  3. Joshua Langford
  4. Kendrick Nunn
  5. Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman

Small Forward

1. Nigel Hayes
  2. Vince Edwards
  3. OG Anunoby
  4. Miles Bridges
  5. Malcolm Hill

Power Forward/Stretch 4

1. Caleb Swanigan
  2. Vitto Brown
  3. Troy Williams
  4. Zak Irvin
  5. Keita Bates-Diop

Center

1. Ethan Happ
  2. Thomas Bryant
  3. Isaac Haas
  4. Damonte Dodd
  5. Gavin Schilling

I think the bigs are really weak and that it shows how weak the conference will be. Believe me I do not think that any of the 3 UM guys are all-americans but they can be all-conference players due to the lack of talent next year. What do you all think.

I think that you made a good list and I think that we could parse through a debate of which player and how high (e.g. I think Bridges is going to be a beast for State and should be higher). My only quip would be to put Irvin as a 3. That really is his position (if not 2) and he just ends up playing out of position for Michigan because they lack the resources for someone else to step in there

I agree with what you said about Irvin but I stated above to put them where they play for there team so that’s why Irvin was slated at the 4 but I do agree he should be a 2 or 3

1 Like

Love stuff like this.

PG

1. Trimble
  2. Koenig
  3. Corey Sanders
  4. JaQuan Lyle
  5. Walton/Bryant McIntosh

SG

1. Jok
  2. Nunn
  3. Langford
  4. Blackmon
  5. Eron Harris

SF

1. Bridges
  2. Anunoby
  3. Zak Irvin
  4. Malcolm Hill
  5. Vince Edwards

PF

1. Nigel Hayes
  2. Swanigan
  3. Troy Williams
  4. JaeSean Tate
  5. Ben Carter (transfer to MSU)

C

1. Bryant
  2. Happ
  3. Haas
  4. Donnal
  5. Dodd

Will be interesting to see how these list compare to the all B1G selections next April.

2 Likes

I like the inclusion of Harris on your list buckets. Depending if his role is bigger this upcoming year and not just playing 20 mpg he could be in for a big year.

1 Like

I’d put rahkman ahead of Harris. Not even being a homer either. I believe maar is that good.

Point Guard

1. Trimble
  2. Koenig
  3. Albrecht
  4. Walton Jr.
  5. Sanders

Shooting Guard

1. Jok
  2. Blackmon Jr.
  3. Langford
  4. Abdur Rahkman
  5. Nunn

Small Forward

1. Bridges
  2. Coffey
  3. Malcolm Hill
  4. Edwards
  5. OG Anunoby

Power Forward

1. Hayes
  2. Swanigan
  3. Williams
  4. Irvin
  5. Cook

Center

1. Bryant
  2. Haas
  3. Happ
  4. Dodd
  5. Schilling

Probably over valued a few freshmen (Coffey, Bridges, Cook) but SF is not deep this year.

I just don’t see Albrecht being on over Walton Sanders Tum Tum Lyle McIntosh and Johnson. Who knows what he will be like back from injury but I respect your opinion

2 Likes

In a starter’s role it’s conceivable he can average 12 and 6 while shooting 35 or 40% from 3, and not turning over the basketball. Sanders is wildly inconsistent and careless with the ball, which is why I put him 5th. If Purdue elects to bring Spike off the bench then you’re definitely right though.

1 Like

I think the two Illinois players on this list, Malcolm Hill and Kendrick Nunn, have potential to be All Big Ten 1st team. The rest of the roster isn’t good there, but those two will run the team and should steal a couple games from contenders.

1 Like

They remind me a little of the DeShawn Sims/Manny Harris team where you’ve got 2 near-elite offensive options and not much else. Malcolm Hill is one of my favorites to watch in the league

1 Like

Wanted to revisit this since the deadline has passed:

Point Guard

1. Melo Trimble
  2. Bronson Koenig
  3. Corey Sanders
  4. Derrick Walton Jr
  5. Cassius Winston

Shooting Guard

1. Peter Jok
  2. James Blackmon Jr
  3. Eron Harris
  4. Joshua Langford
  5. Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman

Small Forward

1. Nigel Hayes
  2. Vince Edwards
  3. OG Anunoby
  4. Malcolm Hill
  5. Miles Bridges

Power Forward/Stretch 4

1. Caleb Swanigan
  2. Vitto Brown
  3. Zak Irvin
  4. Keita Bates-Diop
  5. Ben Carter

Center

1. Ethan Happ
  2. Thomas Bryant
  3. Isaac Haas
  4. Damonte Dodd
  5. Gavin Schilling

Have no idea how you placed Walton, and especially Winston (never played a college game) in front of Sanders, who put up 16 & 4 as a freshman and probably has the most raw talent out of that entire list.

Same premise applies to Bridges over Hill.

3 Likes

Bryant is the top center for sure.i like haap too but Bryant is a legit nba caliber center. Also rahkman is underrated.im willing to bet he’s at least better than Harris. Possibly a better player than blackmon

1 Like

Fair enough…now that you point that out I think I just forgot about Sanders because he is lost in the garbage going on at Rutgers. Not too sure about the hill choice either. Thank you!

Walton put up 12 and 4 (30 more assists in total) and averaged 2 more rebounds, averaged 1 less TO, and shot a higher % from 3 and FT (lower total %, albeit). I could see the possibility of Sanders being the better player next year, since he is younger and, therefore, could have more room to grow. But I think it’s a close argument, and I would have Dwalt ahead, even from just a stat standpoint. Definitely agree on Sanders > Winston.

But Bridges also hasn’t played a college game yet, so putting him ahead of Malcolm Hill is tough for me. Especially because Hill was a 2nd team all-B1G player. I would probably only have Bridges ahead of OG, with the list going: Hayes, Hill, Edwards, Bridges, OG.

Also curious that Andrew White was left off Mgo’s list. I would have him 3rd, maybe 2nd. I would also have MAAR ahead of Langford because, even with Langford having much more ‘projected’ talent, MAAR has produced at the B1G level.

1 Like

That shooting guard spot is hard to pick - so many unknowns, new guys, etc.

1 Like

I won’t squabble over most of the list but how does anyone think Gavin Schilling is better than Michigans centers (Donnal, M Wagner).

I agree that Wagner may merit inclusion based on potential, though not Donnal.