2018 Recruiting Notes

I haven’t seen anyone close to advocating a Crean cleaning, but nice try.

No, haven’t heard anything of the kind. I only note that there will probably not be enough minutes to keep Simpson, Brooks and DeJulius happy at PG for two years. And Brooks is small. Not really well suited to the 2 in a Beilein offense.

True but he did play DWalt and Simpson at the same time on occasion. Probably depends on matchups, etc.

1 Like

Per Sam Webb: Sounds like Nunez is on commit watch if the visit goes well this weekend and has somewhat shut down communication with the other schools on his list.
Further, a concern around Locke appears to be a guarantee for early playing time, which he doesn’t have at Michigan but may at other schools.
It also seems possible that we hear about Taylor Currie looking around at other schools in the near future.

2 Likes

Gee, wonder where you saw that info at? At least credit Sam, sheesh.

5 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2018 - Wing - Adrien Nunez (Target)

I really hope we hold out for Locke. Do not think Nunez will be a contributor at any point.

1 Like

Beilein has a really good track record with kids he likes who are way off the radar, so while I’d prefer Locke, it makes sense to trust Beilein if that’s the way he chooses to go. Truthfully, in style and even back story, Nunez reminds me of a bigger, stronger Stu Douglass. Stu was a message board pariah, but he had a pretty good carer at Michigan.

4 Likes

What if Michigan isn’t leading for Locke?

Then I’d rather bank the scholly. This class is starting to get too big.

Sounds like you are getting too used to a 12 man roster. If we get Nunez, he would probably redshirt.

1 Like

There is a need for a 2G in this class. Poole will be the only 2G on the roster in 2018-19. Yes, Brooks can help there and maybe Ibi develops more of a guards game by then, but with so much talent at forward, it would be a shame to be lacking in the backcourt.
They also lose Duncan so a floor spacer is needed. Nunez has great size and is on the rise and they obviously think he fits. 5 is not too big a class.

2 Likes

This is also just straight up stolen premium info, unless Sam put it up on twitter, which I doubt.

This will never change, but for the life of me, I will never understand how some people have no respect for how someone like Sam earns a living.

2 Likes

This wasn’t premium info (though some of Snow’s responses were). And apparently the services don’t mind so much because mgoblog’s recruiting info is essentially all stolen from subscription sites and they still have good business relationships with Lorenz and Webb? Maybe if you attribute it and don’t post everything the free advertising makes up for the breach of proprietary info…

That seemed to literally come bullet point for bullet point from one of Sam’s message board posts, but maybe I missed it being posted somewhere else as well?

Oh - maybe that specific post isn’t premium? You didn’t have to be a 247 or TMI subscriber to read it? Hard to follow with the strange, slow rollout of the merger between the sites.

The same sites that censor the name of our site when people would credit it? The horror.

Look guys, don’t outright copy and paste information that’s behind a paywall elsewhere. DO give people credit and link to stuff, in this case a free article at Scout by Sam Webb about Currie potentially decommiting (try it in incognito):

https://scout.com/college/michigan/Board/102410/Contents/Webblog-Basketball-recruiting-shake-up-108124705

6 Likes

Yeah, the post wasn’t premium. I know because I clicked on it and saw it but don’t pay for Scout. Also, if you look at the tweet, it differentiates between his post and the ones from Snow with a (VIP). Most of those posts are premium though…

2 Likes

Updated the recruiting profiles for 2018: https://umhoops.com/recruiting/2018-recruits/

And the visit calendar: https://umhoops.com/official-visits/

Does the Currie situation seem strange to you? I am not understanding a kid fulfilling a lifelong dream (playing for M) then changing his mind a few months later. I also don’t see Coach Beilein accepting his commitment then forcing him out a few months later for another recruit.

3 Likes

The part that seems strange is his reclassifying when he is not projected to be a contributor right away. The rest makes sense. Beilein offered Currie as a 2019 with potential. He’s recruiting CC because he can contribute right off the bat at a position that might be very thin in 2018. Currie may love Michigan, but he’s being recruited over. His prospects look better here if CC isn’t part of the class.

1 Like