2018 Recruiting Notes

Good point @ReegsShannon , I do think I’ve always overvalued how much recruits may look at our potential roster. I still feel like we were missing out on some wing prospects a few years ago because they looked at our lineup and saw stauskas Levert and Irvin as big minutes eaters before Nik went pro.

But I’m also extremely high on Poole to the point that I think he takes the bulk of the 2G minutes by 2018 and that would leave 3 guys (albeit guys who may not have many combined returning minutes) for Nembhard to beat out for one spot. And I don’t think it’s too big of an optimistic stretch to think X could be a high-quality starting PG by his third year.

Actually, I wouldn’t be surprised if Poole was taking the bulk of the 2G minutes by the end of this season. I don’t expect it, but it would not surprise me. He may be our best outside scoring threat.

1 Like

Typical JB recruit, saw another article that said he was planning on visiting us.

My hope is we are in on Hinton’s teammate Landers Nolley and hope Coach Yaklich has a conection with Zion Griffin from Ilinois who blew up in July.

Post withdrawn

4 posts were split to a new topic: 2018 - Wing - Justin Ahrens (Offer)

What is happening with all these JB offers!!

1 Like

That’s what I’m saying, this is unreal!

Some of it could be a function of a change in the assistant coaches — former staff members had their contacts and prospects they viewed positively, new staff members have different contacts, different live viewings, and different prospects with whom they’re enamoured?

2 Likes

Name we have seen before briefly, after recent offers who knows.

He was offered by Illinois State…I wonder if that translates. VCU and Richmond offers as well.

Really hope we don’t push too hard for a 5 person class at this point. I’d much rather wait it out and leave maybe an extra spot for 2019 than keep throwing around offers to lower ranked guys.

I feel like people say this all the time, but when was the last time UM used all 13 scholarships?

2 Likes

2009/10 I think.

1. Novak
  2. Douglass
  3. Harris
  4. Morris
  5. Akunne (scholarship this season, subsequently pulled for academic reasons)
  6. Wright
  7. Vogrich
  8. Mclimans(?)
  9. Lucas-Perry
  10. Gibson
  11. Sims
  12. Cronin
  13. Morgan

Wasn’t Akunne a walk-on who was awarded scholarship later? If we’re counting that, I believe more years than no UM/Beilein have paid out 13 scholarships — great majority of those years (maybe all of those years) have been with walk-ons receiving the in-season bonus award

Yeah, Eso was a walk-on. I just mean that more often than not Michigan has been in the position to add to the roster in the spring via transfer, late signing, etc. even when it appears like there wouldn’t have been room.

1 Like

Eso went to the same middle school and high school that I did. My brother and him were in the same grades and were good friends. He was recruited originally as a walk on but given a scholarship before he arrived on campus so I’d still count that (Same thing that happened to Luke Maye at UNC). He became academically ineligible at some point early in his career and lost the scholarship, but for that particular year I’m 95% sure he was on scholarship before the season.

Yeah, but being awarded a scholarship as a walk-on (similar to Dakich last year) doesn’t count against the number for all intents and purposes. That just means that Michigan was one short heading into the season and gave it to Eso, if that makes sense. That’s just like saying Michigan had 13 on scholarship last year, but really they could have added one more.

Yup, I did a bit more research. I thought he was awarded a full 4 year scholarship before he arrived and lost it due to the academic issue, but it was just a 1 year deal to begin with. Carry on.

Before that season I believe we were still on probation and only had 12 scholly’s available, so I think it’s been close to two decades since we’ve had a full 13 officially.

@tarverine my high school played at Gabriel Richard Eso’s senior year…I was a sophomore at the time. We were coming off a state title the year before and the dude just dominated us en route to a triple double and a 20 point blowout.

3 Likes